440g Custom Starphire Metal-framed Reef Dropoff Tank

fjr_wertheimber

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Isaac said:

"reefcliff" seems to be all the rage.... why?  just use liverock and make a cliff, and then you have a mini-intank fuge too.  I dont think i get this craze... at all.

Because people have too much money and don't know what to do with it? I'm with you and I don't get it either. It looks like a circulation nightmare. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2017 at 2:31 PM, Isaac said:

"reefcliff" seems to be all the rage.... why?  just use liverock and make a cliff, and then you have a mini-intank fuge too.  I dont think i get this craze... at all.

Wouldn't using pure live rock to create a cliff cause a lot of detritus to build up inside all that rock?  I guess circulation could help with that.  Met thought there the shallower spot would be great for light loving items like clams, and the deeper would make some good swimming room for some larger fish.

This thread is worse than Ty's tank build thread!:lol::P

You could use some pvc piping and live rock to create the cliff, and utilize that dead space underneath as a crypic zone.  Steve Tyree did a speech on it at C4, seemed very interesting and he had a lot of good research on a crypic zone's benefits.

• Like 1