FTS thread

I really like the quote "I really don't have the extra funds to be in this hobby" haha, how's that been working out for ya over the past 4 years?

I currently love my tank!

I got this tank from a family friend who had to get rid of it ASAP. He sold off 90% off the tank, and I took what he had left when it came down to the wire.

Here is what it looked like when I took it in 11/09.

dirty55gal.th.jpg

Very little rock left. He sold off about 90lbs of rock. Lots of fish and corals. When I took it over all that was left was 1 rock with some xenia, a big Kenyan tree, a RTBA who had been through 2 powerheads, 2 Maroon clowns, and a hawkfish. Oh, and that huge ball of chaeto. By the time I got the tank, he had no skimmer on it for over 2 months, no filter, just powerheads, and a basketball sized chunk of chaeto.

I really don't have the extra funds to be in this hobby. But I put all I could spare into the tank.

I bought an AquaC Remora HOB Skimmer, and an Aquaclear Filter for the tank. I still don't have a sump/refugium. I'll get there someday.

I purchased some rock from Mama at Rockin Reefs, just to give the barren wasteland a little more rock.

Here is a pic of the tank from January with the new little bit of rock I could afford.

img7298h.th.jpg

Looks better, but still not the tank I want. I also picked up a Koran Angel from her at the same time. So you see him in this pic!

Wryknow was taking down his tank around this same time, and had a bunch of Aiptasia infected liverock for only 1$/lb. I was able to procure a 20gal tank with light/filter/heater for cheap from a friend so I got 65lbs of liverock.

img0934h.jpg

That rock has been sitting in the 20gal for 2-3months with peppermint shrimp eating the aip, and me injecting aiptasia-x into the ones I could find.

I finally was comfortable enough to move that rock to the 55gal.

The only other additions I have made other than CUC is 4 heads of torch coral, some blue palys, and a target goby. I had a small flatworm problem and wanted to deal with it naturally so I picked the goby.

So here is a FTS from today. I love my tank. Before it always felt like a barren wasteland, and now it feels to be a real live tank!

img7361.th.jpg

• 3 years later...