FTS thread

Any reason to not run the actinics through the day?

the only reason I don't is I like the look of just my MHs and I thinking that if I only run my actinics 6hr/day vs.12 hrs, I only have to replace the actinics once a year.

Any reason to not run the actinics through the day?

I dont like the real deep blue look! I have turned off actinics before and it looked more natural. there was a hint of blue from the Phoenix 14000k bulbs, but that was fine.The only reason i dont continue to run them without the actinics is the shaded areas in the tank. I did not think there was not enough light for every thing to grow.(especially with the two peaks on both sides of the tank) When I switch to the 2x250w 14000k MH's then i should not have that problem. Or would you recommend 10000k's with the actinics on. LMK

The 10ks will give you better grow, but make everything look yellow.

14k is a perfect balance of crisp white with a touch of blue

Cool, that's what it will be then. I like the color of Steve's light.(Bigbird123)

Your corals need the spectrum that the actinics give off to have the proper color. They are for more than just what pleases the eye.

I didn't know that. I thought is to make the colors fluores. . .

Your corals need the spectrum that the actinics give off to have the proper color. They are for more than just what pleases the eye.

Gabe, you dont think that will be too much light if leave the actinics on with the 2x250w MH's. Thats 9.3 watts per gallon for my 75g tank.

Gabe, you dont think that will be too much light if leave the actinics on with the 2x250w MH's. Thats 9.3 watts per gallon for my 75g tank.

Nope, not too much light. Just make sure you ramp it up to full photo period.. hmm.png

Yeah the actinics don't add a whole lot when it comes to overall wattage. It is the color they emit that the corals need. I think what you are proposing would be the perfect amount of light. You just have to find the right color MHs to mesh with your actinics to give you a pleasing color.

I think what you are proposing would be the perfect amount of light. You just have to find the right color MHs to mesh with your actinics to give you a pleasing color.

lrssx...that's exactly the lighting setup (2x96W PC, 2x.250W MH 20K) I'm running on my 90G. You are welcome to come check it out if you want.

What the heck, I'll play. This is my 120 SPS tank. I have been running zeo since mid January and was a Polyp Lab guy for 12 months prior to that. Tank did have a 4" sand bed that crashed and is bare bottom now. My wife wants us to add a 1" crushed coral bed back to it. Needing to sell the candy cane colony out of the tank or frag it down to next to nothing to make room. It is bigger than a bowling ball! The favia is eight years old and is the old man of the tank. Enjoy!

MAG_0135.jpg

MAG_0133.jpg

MAG_0132.jpg

Mike, I was just at your place Sunday, but i must say again; Awesome with a capital "A". That coral that you sold me that you called "turbo", i think its Montipora Hispida. I cant stop looking at it!:)

What the heck, I'll play. This is my 120 SPS tank. I have been running zeo since mid January and was a Polyp Lab guy for 12 months prior to that. Tank did have a 4" sand bed that crashed and is bare bottom now. My wife wants us to add a 1" crushed coral bed back to it. Needing to sell the candy cane colony out of the tank or frag it down to next to nothing to make room. It is bigger than a bowling ball! The favia is eight years old and is the old man of the tank. Enjoy!

MAG_0135.jpg

MAG_0133.jpg

MAG_0132.jpg

what type of brain coral is that? I just bought one but don't know what type it is. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

PIc of new tank. Im still a newbie and a broke college student so not too developed yet.

Justin I see you restacked that rock. Did you catch that fish you were after? You better watch that Xenia it spreads fast. I just got rid of all of mine and scrub the rock they were on.; Your tank looks really good though. I just added a wave maker box to my tank and trying to see if I have enough flow without the Koralia 2&3.cool.gif

Just though I would add a pic of my tank in here. It has only been setup since February of this year and has been receiving quite a few recent additions. It's a 55 gallon with a 25 gallon sump. Sorry about the poor picture quality, my pics were taken from my phone.

post-1459-006922300 1275849579_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigsby

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...