FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That turbinaria is coming along nicely! I've been watching them on DD since last summer and the price has recently doubled. I wonder if they're becoming more popular? Last night I relocated all of my corals to the sand, took out half the rock, and started aquascaping. Let's just say I don't need cutters to create frags!

That turbinaria is coming along nicely! I've been watching them on DD since last summer and the price has recently doubled. I wonder if they're becoming more popular? Last night I relocated all of my corals to the sand, took out half the rock, and started aquascaping. Let's just say I don't need cutters to create frags!

Yeah, that hero coral got burnt by an acro colony falling on top of it a month or so back. You can see the bottom row of coralites are still recovering but thankfully, it recovered very quickly.

I fell in love with it after seeing that reefbuilders article on it and was very pleased that Aquadome brought in this rarer coral.

What about turbinaria do you find so attractive Ty? Other than the fact that it's pretty rare?

I like that it grows out similar to an acropora surharsoni but requires much less light and plates out. Its a perfect candidate for getting a slightly different look in a shady area of the tank that most acros would not do well in. The rare is just a bonus. [emoji4]

Hey, us stick heads always want more pretty acros! [emoji14]

I feel like a gorgeous elegance coral would be a good addition on the FarmerTy Ranch!

Oh yeah, the addiction to pretty new sticks is how we got here in the first place!

An elegance with pink tips would be awesome as well as a couple giant clams but that ship sailed when I added 5 angels to the tank. [emoji12]

Just now, FarmerTy said:

Oh yeah, the addiction to pretty new sticks is how we got here in the first place!

An elegance with pink tips would be awesome as well as a couple giant clams but that ship sailed when I added 5 angels to the tank. emoji12.png

Yeah, I guess an elegance coral is like a premium all you can eat buffet for that emperor angel. Get rid of the big fish man, go with schools of anthias instead!

Yeah, I guess an elegance coral is like a premium all you can eat buffet for that emperor angel. Get rid of the big fish man, go with schools of anthias instead!

I love my fish, but I'm still going to pack in more anthias! [emoji4]

How about I buy an elegance coral and trade you for an emperor? I'd also be winning to trade some anthias for a naso! 

Did you ever get your anthias on pellets? I had a school for lyretails that I couldn't convert reliably. They would sometimes eat flake food but wouldn't tough the NLS pellets. 

How about I buy an elegance coral and trade you for an emperor? I'd also be winning to trade some anthias for a naso! 
Did you ever get your anthias on pellets? I had a school for lyretails that I couldn't convert reliably. They would sometimes eat flake food but wouldn't tough the NLS pellets. 

One purple queen eats pellets but otherwise, no dice.

Haha, here's your giant clam and elegance... Thanks for all the angels Ty!

I'll take that elegance off of your hands once I get my 120 going. :-)  That is definitely on my list. I'm hoping someone in the club will have one available or a nice frag to sell. I might try some of the more hardy Acros as well depending on what Ty has available. :D  I still have a few months of build, setup, and burn in time for the live rock.

I'll take that elegance off of your hands once I get my 120 going. :-)  That is definitely on my list. I'm hoping someone in the club will have one available or a nice frag to sell. I might try some of the more hardy Acros as well depending on what Ty has available. [emoji3]  I still have a few months of build, setup, and burn in time for the live rock.

You're welcome to my imaginary elegance! No acclamation even needed, just drop it in! [emoji12]

I'm happy to get more people addicted to acros. With the baby coming next month, that'll give me time to grow everything out and be ready to distribute in the summer!

If we're talking about trading, I'll trade you my QT'd blue squamosa clam for $400 once you get rid of the monster angel in your tank!

No way, angels are prettier than clams according to this guy! Even if its a clam wrapped in an elegance, I'd still take the angels. [emoji41]

1 hour ago, HarleyGuy said:

That's the problem Ty, my tank is already full of imaginary coral! lol  ;) 

That sounds good, I'm sure between you and Dan I'll have a nice selection to choose from. :D

If you haven't learned anything else from Ty, learn how to dip your corals. He made a great Guide to Dipping Acros. Don't wait until you have coral eating nudibranches, red bugs, or flatworms before you learn the lesson. The prevention is cheaper and less stressful than the cure. 

25 minutes ago, Sascha D. said:

If you haven't learned anything else from Ty, learn how to dip your corals. He made a great Guide to Dipping Acros. Don't wait until you have coral eating nudibranches, red bugs, or flatworms before you learn the lesson. The prevention is cheaper and less stressful than the cure. 

Makes sense! Do you dip SPS only or LPS/Soft coral as well?

Great reminder to dip there Sascha. I've been around long enough to chronicle the rise and fall of many SPS tanks... And almost all of the declines start towards the end of the 1st year/beginning of 2nd year where all those pretty little sticks that were collected over that time finally result in a tank full of pests and their populations finally get large enough to start killing off your colonies. Save yourself from the misery... Dip with reckless abandon.

w/ all the pictures ty takes, im debating draining my biocube and just mounting pictures in it.

Just let me know what angles you need once the tank is drained and I'll supply some pictures for you. [emoji6]

Makes sense! Do you dip SPS only or LPS/Soft coral as well?

I dip everything and get rid of the plugs they are on and put them on fresh plugs. Though I'm rusty with dipping lps/zoas so you may have to look elsewhere for info on that.

Just now, FarmerTy said:

Just let me know what angles you need once the tank is drained and I'll supply some pictures for you. emoji6.png

we'll have to do some 3d mapping and ill buy a 3d printer.

15 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Great reminder to dip there Sascha. I've been around long enough to chronicle the rise and fall of many SPS tanks... And almost all of the declines start towards the end of the 1st year/beginning of 2nd year where all those pretty little sticks that were collected over that time finally result in a tank full of pests and their populations finally get large enough to start killing off your colonies. Save yourself from the misery... Dip with reckless abandon.

Just let me know what angles you need once the tank is drained and I'll supply some pictures for you. emoji6.png

I dip everything and get rid of the plugs they are on and put them on fresh plugs. Though I'm rusty with dipping lps/zoas so you may have to look elsewhere for info on that.

Why replace the plugs?

Archived