FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats Bud. Thought you were prepping the baby room last time I was over ha! You're stuck doing all the packing and unpacking of the house now!

Thanks man! Yeah, I was but then my wife saw this house. So yes, I'll be packing and unpacking and moving my giant tank. [emoji51]

Got a hype man yet????

I recently got an application from a Jose Zamora but attached to the application was a picture of a guy wearing a hood, standing at the top floor, looking out the window at the photographer. I think I'm seriously considering him. He's got the edginess I like in a hype man!

Ah....so there will be a sump room!  

We'll see! I'm about 80% into the process of getting wife approval to leave 1/4 of the converted garage into a fish room (roughly 7' x 11') and letting me cut a hole in the wall between the garage and the front dining/living area to have a nice in-wall look.

I'll give more details as they come to fruition.

12 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

We'll see! I'm about 80% into the process of getting wife approval to leave 1/4 of the converted garage into a fish room (roughly 7' x 11') and letting me cut a hole in the wall between the garage and the front dining/living area to have a nice in-wall look.

NIce! That's always kinda what I figure I'd do too if I did a fish room.

NIce! That's always kinda what I figure I'd do too if I did a fish room.

Yeah, only my wife parks in the garage so I figured why not use 1/4 for my needs and leave the other 1/4 for storage instead of half just being filled with junk like our current house. It has been easier to convince her since I'm not constructing anything, just deconstructing what was there and modifying the rest to my needs. [emoji12]

I'll get my reciprocating saw ready to cut open that hole in your wall! [emoji39]

I'll get my reciprocating saw ready to cut open that hole in your wall! [emoji39]

I'm a little nervous about that actually. I'm not the most accurate cutter in the world and even worst at measuring. I need an engineer!

4 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

I'm a little nervous about that actually. I'm not the most accurate cutter in the world and even worst at measuring. I need an engineer!

Psh come on man! It's not that difficult. Get a laser level or bubble level and then use a trim to cover up the rough border that's left.

47 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Hey, if I can cut a 6ft x 2ft hole in a living room wall you can cut a teeny tiny hole in the garage wall.  ;-)

if you are just passing the plumbing and wiring through... you only really need 4 holes w/ a holesaw :)  if you are going for an in-wall look... its not just destruction, you have to slap in a header in and everything.. would look awesome though!  you have enough engineer-types here to help :)

5 minutes ago, Jimbo662 said:

Hey, if I can cut a 6ft x 2ft hole in a living room wall you can cut a teeny tiny hole in the garage wall.  ;-)

I think 25% of the garage is going to be bigger than "teeny tiny" Jim! I'm thinking more 6x5x8! It will have to be that big for the in-wall look AND ability to access it for maintenance. Let's face it, Ty will do maintenance even when it's not required. 

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, FarmerTy said:

End of an era! We're potentially looking at one more month of existence of this build thread folks. My wife and I submitted an offer on a new home. While it may be a bit early to start writing things in stone (we're still in option), I figured I'd let the ARC crew in on the events now in hopes of words of encouragement and also give everyone time to grieve early for when this thread is shut down. But realistically, shouts of jubilation will come pouring down from the mountains (or just Mt Bonnell) as this ridiculous thread will forever cease popping up anymore and I'll probably get endlessly tortured with Photoshopped pictures of me in mullets and with handlebar mustaches and other musings from our very own peanut gallery. emoji12.png

I'll keep everyone posted and maybe start a new build thread to discuss my future plans. Take this post as a heads up too that everyone needs to start doing bicep curls and squats in anticipation of the day the old FarmerTy 215-gallon needs to be moved sometime at the end of March as I will need the help, considering I'll have a 2 week old at that time as well and be running on 30 min naps of sleep.

So to all those that want to be a part of this historic moment, all those that want to help out because maybe I've helped you before, this is your moment to shine! emoji41.png

Stay tuned...

I will help as well Ty. My wrist is still messed up so I can't carry heavy items like the tank yet, but I can help with coral, fish, boxes, and any other odds and ends. I have a full size crew cab with a shell and carpeted bed. So it's a pretty nice vehicle to move things that you don't want out in the sun. :-)

John 

Reciprocating saw party? I'll bring mine and a 12 pack. 

I'll supply the saw and 12-pack! No beer until after we have a beautiful 6'x26" window for the tank first.
she can come look and hear mine if she has doubts on having a remote sump [emoji4]  so quiet.

That's part of the reason why I might get approval soon. No more noise and she'll never see my random stuff like fish in a tub for 7 months anymore.

Oh no, in wall for sure. I'm cutting a very similar hole Jimbo. This is not just a passthrough for plumbing but cutting out a large Windies to view the tank which will be sitting in the garage and not in the living area.
if you are just passing the plumbing and wiring through... you only really need 4 holes w/ a holesaw [emoji4]  if you are going for an in-wall look... its not just destruction, you have to slap in a header in and everything.. would look awesome though!  you have enough engineer-types here to help [emoji4]

Sweet! I'll need you guys! Figured open drywall on the garage side and plan the cuts on the 2x4's and then add a header to reinforce top and bottom.
I think 25% of the garage is going to be bigger than "teeny tiny" Jim! I'm thinking more 6x5x8! It will have to be that big for the in-wall look AND ability to access it for maintenance. Let's face it, Ty will do maintenance even when it's not required. 

I was going to go with no access doors on living room side to keep the little guy out of my business but the wife doesn't want me having to go into the fish room for everything so we will probably add two cabinet doors for access.

...and another one succumbs to the Dark Side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One by one... [emoji41]
I will help as well Ty. My wrist is still messed up so I can't carry heavy items like the tank yet, but I can help with coral, fish, boxes, and any other odds and ends. I have a full size crew cab with a shell and carpeted bed. So it's a pretty nice vehicle to move things that you don't want out in the sun. :-)
John 

Thanks John! I'll take the extra vehicles any day! I think there will be a lot of people so I may organize into crews. Fish crew, coral/live rock crew, sump crew, electronics crew, diaper changing crew, etc. If things work out with what I'm planning, no tank may even need to be lifted. Details to come after I move the house as we are doing that first. [emoji106]
I thought about calling you out on the title of the last video, but you seem to get upset when I notice things that are supposed to be on the DL!!  :firefirefire:

Dang your superhuman perception!

32 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Oh no, in wall for sure. I'm cutting a very similar hole Jimbo. This is not just a passthrough for plumbing but cutting out a large Windies to view the tank which will be sitting in the garage and not in the living area.

Well then...I'm your man!  Been there...done that.  :cool:

6 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

I'll supply the saw and 12-pack! No beer until after we have a beautiful 6'x26" window for the tank first.

That's part of the reason why I might get approval soon. No more noise and she'll never see my random stuff like fish in a tub for 7 months anymore.

Sweet! I'll need you guys! Figured open drywall on the garage side and plan the cuts on the 2x4's and then add a header to reinforce top and bottom.

I was going to go with no access doors on living room side to keep the little guy out of my business but the wife doesn't want me having to go into the fish room for everything so we will probably add two cabinet doors for access.

One by one... emoji41.png

Thanks John! I'll take the extra vehicles any day! I think there will be a lot of people so I may organize into crews. Fish crew, coral/live rock crew, sump crew, electronics crew, diaper changing crew, etc. If things work out with what I'm planning, no tank may even need to be lifted. Details to come after I move the house as we are doing that first. emoji106.png

Dang your superhuman perception!

Sounds like a plan! You can leave me off the diaper change crew! ?

Archived