FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

3 minutes ago, HarleyGuy said:

Why replace the plugs?

I replace my plugs too because that's where you can find eggs from pests and tiny bits of algae that can take over your tank. Also little critters can hide in small spaces between the frag and the plug so popping off the coral exposes those hidden areas and helps rid any potential hiding spot. Plugs are like Trojan Horses for pest algae and coral pests!

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I replace my plugs too because that's where you can find eggs from pests and tiny bits of algae that can take over your tank. Also little critters can hide in small spaces between the frag and the plug so popping off the coral exposes those hidden areas and helps rid any potential hiding spot. Plugs are like Trojan Horses for pest algae and coral pests!

Couldn't have said it better.

19 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Wow, that makes sense. I'm sure some of these invaders can be microscopic! Thanks!

1 minute ago, HarleyGuy said:

Wow, that makes sense. I'm sure some of these invaders can be microscopic! Thanks!

Yes, many of the pests are hard to see without magnification and patient and careful watching. I find it easiest to see pests at night with pumps off to notice movement with my flashlight.

Personally, I dip every coral type. There are different dips that corals will tolerate. A good place to start is with Ty's thread that I linked. They also sell prepared coral dips if you want to try those. Back in the day iodine was a popular dip and some of the veterans, like Jason Fox, still use it. Corals don't tolerate iodine very well and I don't use it. Similarly, I don't use FW dips except on clams with pinch. I have had good luck dipping all of my corals in Melafix Marine the past year, which will kill flatworms, nudibranches and red bugs. Someone told me yesterday that Interceptor only kills things with a carapace, but I don't have any experience with it. I have had good luck dipping mushrooms and soft corals in peroxide, but it should not be used on LPS or SPS.

I cut all of my new corals off of the plug they come on. The plug could have spores, glass anemones, or pest corals, etc. that can't be dipped away. You'd be surprised what bubble algae can live through. The plugs fit loosely in the rocks and get knocked over by myself or my fish. Using disks can mitigate the corals getting knocked over. I'll sometimes cut the stem off of the plug and turn it into a disk. Lastly, I put a lot of my corals on a separate rock so that I can easily remove it for trimming or relocation. 

Personally, I dip every coral type. There are different dips that corals will tolerate. A good place to start is with Ty's thread that I linked. They also sell prepared coral dips if you want to try those. Back in the day iodine was a popular dip and some of the veterans, like Jason Fox, still use it. Corals don't tolerate iodine very well and I don't use it. Similarly, I don't use FW dips except on clams with pinch. I have had good luck dipping all of my corals in Melafix Marine the past year, which will kill flatworms, nudibranches and red bugs. Someone told me yesterday that Interceptor only kills things with a carapace, but I don't have any experience with it. I have had good luck dipping mushrooms and soft corals in peroxide, but it should not be used on LPS or SPS.
I cut all of my new corals off of the plug they come on. The plug could have spores, glass anemones, or pest corals, etc. that can't be dipped away. You'd be surprised what bubble algae can live through. The plugs fit loosely in the rocks and get knocked over by myself or my fish. Using disks can mitigate the corals getting knocked over. I'll sometimes cut the stem off of the plug and turn it into a disk. Lastly, I put a lot of my corals on a separate rock so that I can easily remove it for trimming or relocation. 

Sascha, have you witnessed red bugs dying in melafix? I've only had luck with Interceptor but if melafix works for them, I'll gladly stop sending my veterinarian steaks every year. [emoji12]

18 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

Sascha, have you witnessed red bugs dying in melafix? I've only had luck with Interceptor but if melafix works for them, I'll gladly stop sending my veterinarian steaks every year. emoji12.png

I haven't personally found a coral with red bugs and then dipped it into Melafix to see if it really works. I can confirm that it kills isopods, copepods, serpent stars, and flatworms. It's supposed to kill red bugs and I'd be happy to test it with anyone that has them.

I haven't personally found a coral with red bugs and then dipped it into Melafix to see if it really works. I can confirm that it kills isopods, copepods, serpent stars, and flatworms. It's supposed to kill red bugs and I'd be happy to test it with anyone that has them.

The only reason I ask is because Bayer won't even kill red bugs and it kills everything! So, I was a bit surprised when you said melafix kills them. I'm all for testing though... Can I borrow some Red Bugs anyone? [emoji4]

1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:

The only reason I ask is because Bayer won't even kill red bugs and it kills everything! So, I was a bit surprised when you said melafix kills them. I'm all for testing though... Can I borrow some Red Bugs anyone? emoji4.png

oh god, please dont work, i dont need a third dip..... or, please work, i love more processes?

End of an era! We're potentially looking at one more month of existence of this build thread folks. My wife and I submitted an offer on a new home. While it may be a bit early to start writing things in stone (we're still in option), I figured I'd let the ARC crew in on the events now in hopes of words of encouragement and also give everyone time to grieve early for when this thread is shut down. But realistically, shouts of jubilation will come pouring down from the mountains (or just Mt Bonnell) as this ridiculous thread will forever cease popping up anymore and I'll probably get endlessly tortured with Photoshopped pictures of me in mullets and with handlebar mustaches and other musings from our very own peanut gallery. [emoji12]

I'll keep everyone posted and maybe start a new build thread to discuss my future plans. Take this post as a heads up too that everyone needs to start doing bicep curls and squats in anticipation of the day the old FarmerTy 215-gallon needs to be moved sometime at the end of March as I will need the help, considering I'll have a 2 week old at that time as well and be running on 30 min naps of sleep.

So to all those that want to be a part of this historic moment, all those that want to help out because maybe I've helped you before, this is your moment to shine! [emoji41]

Stay tuned...

6 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

End of an era! We're potentially looking at one more month of existence of this build thread folks. My wife and I submitted an offer on a new home. While it may be a bit early to start writing things in stone (we're still in option), I figured I'd let the ARC crew in on the events now in hopes of words of encouragement and also give everyone time to grieve early for when this thread is shut down. But realistically, shouts of jubilation will come pouring down from the mountains (or just Mt Bonnell) as this ridiculous thread will forever cease popping up anymore and I'll probably get endlessly tortured with Photoshopped pictures of me in mullets and with handlebar mustaches and other musings from our very own peanut gallery. emoji12.png

I'll keep everyone posted and maybe start a new build thread to discuss my future plans. Take this post as a heads up too that everyone needs to start doing bicep curls and squats in anticipation of the day the old FarmerTy 215-gallon needs to be moved sometime at the end of March as I will need the help, considering I'll have a 2 week old at that time as well and be running on 30 min naps of sleep.

So to all those that want to be a part of this historic moment, all those that want to help out because maybe I've helped you before, this is your moment to shine! emoji41.png

Stay tuned...

Count me in!

Obviously, count me in too. I've got a pickup truck that has moved many tanks. [emoji3]

Alright! I got you on fish duty Bobby! [emoji12] You probably have a Batman style utility belt with chloroquine phosphate, copper, various antibiotics, prazipro, methylene blue, and other various medications ready to dispense as needed... Just remember to bring it! [emoji6]

I'll be there to run off with corals when no one is looking

What happened to the live rock and coral crew? The sump and equipment crew beat them by 2 hrs already and the fish crew has been taking a nap waiting for them too.

Archived