499 Gallon in wall

Kfennell

I already did the frozen shrimp with the rock that is in my QT, and it cycled, there should be at least some bacteria in it coming to the new tank, so it won't be too bad, I will also start just feeding the tank once I get the skimmer working.

I did not resolve the apex issues yet. I know what I need to do basically, which is set up an SSH server and forward traffic through it to the house with an always on conection from the house to the server, but I have neither the time nor the knowledge to do it yet.

I think there is a picture of it lit up but not 100% full of water on my wifes phone, I will see if she will send it.

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking that as I hold my fish in QT that I should be treating them to be 100% sure that I am not missing a spot etc?

I have a 60G tank that is cycled with LR, and a HOB skimmer and ATO.

I can easily enough use any method, from just observing, to Copper or Hypo but dont want to stress the tank any more then nessecary.

On the other hand, I want to keep Larger Ich prone Tangs in a few months as well, so I need to keep the water parasite free.

What have others with large tanks who started with everything 100% Ich free done to keep it that way?

On a related note, how do I get caulerpa/copepods into the tank and remain 100% sure it is ich free?

What have others with large tanks who started with everything 100% Ich free done to keep it that way?

I would say a 100% 30 - 60 day minimum quarantine would be a good start.

I couldn't imagine trying to treat or even remove a bunch of fish in a tank this size if you get ich or something else once it's established. Maybe massive UV and constant garlic in the food although I'd be skeptical of the effectiveness of UV on a tank this size.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so the first fish are going in the tank tonight, 23 Chromis that made it through QT (of 30, 4 died in day 1 then three more over the next 2 weeks, all were seeming healthy, no ammonia in the tank, I dunno what happenned). Then I am getting the second batch of fish from Divers den on Thursday.

I also hooked up my lights almost properly last night. I can't dim them yet, but at least I can turn each color on and off individually. The tank looks REALLY nice with just the blue/UV on and the total color mixture looks like a very very clean white so that came out great. Pictures tonight when I get some fish in.

So far coming Thursday from DD is:

Bluelined Rabbitfish

Pearly Jawfish

Splended Dottyback

Purple Stripe Dottyback

Social Fairy Wrasse Terminal Phase

I will probablly add 2-3 of what I like best from DD when it releases tonight as well.

Here are the pics that I got before my battery died. I guess I need to learn to adjust white balance because in some of these pics the lighting is quite white, and in some it is just the UV. They dont look much different...

MxKS6S4.jpg
pQIRD8Q.jpg
bjQ3x8h.jpg
cWh4m7x.jpg
EAuwr2R.jpg
KMJaBln.jpg
JT5j3K8.jpg
aSh22uo.jpg
  • Like 1