499 Gallon in wall

Kfennell

Eh for some things I read on other products of theirs they dont always have the top line items. But who knows you might get lucky and save $20 bucks. or you might end up with a leak or replacing a pump and spend $20 bucks in time/effort replacing it with another similar quality pump.

Out of all the systems I've built with hydroponics I just dont bother with cheap pumps the small cash difference is worth my peace of mind. You've already sent so much just kick that little bit more and feel good at night. But we are each different and choose our on battles :)

P.S You build is looking beast, can't wait to see it in person one day if you host a meeting or sell a frag ;)

Lots done on the plumbing this weekend, but silly me didn't take pics. I got the closed loop plumbed all together and ran the pump for a while, nice and quiet so the wife is happy! It turns out that I was not careful enough lining up the T's so I could run plumbing between them so I had to get some spa flex... That stuff is not that flexible though so the plumbing for the closed loop is not really pretty :(

Another thing that I decided is that I will not use threaded bulkheads again, I have had all of them leak repeatedly now. I wish I had got slip x thread! So hopefully someone will learn from this mistake and use slip. The big problem is that even when the bulkhead is tight it isn't THAT tight so there isn't much to turn against when you are tightening the pipe into the bottom of it, so someone has to be in the tank to hold against it :(

Has anyone ever used irrigation valves for controlling flow on and off? Is there one that is 100% pvc or other reef safe material inside?

home depo have some for around 25$ that are all black pvc.

heres their full line. most are all pvc with a rubber doaphram and a magnetic plunger system. hope this helps

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=irrigation+valve&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All

Edited by ct67stang

For on/off, ball valves are fine. If you want to control flow with accuracy, gate valves are the way to go. Cepex makes some very high quality ball valves, though they are pricey (available from BRS), but the ball valves you get at HD or Lowes will work (make sure you get a valve with true unions so you can replace if they crap out!). As for gate valves, I prefer spears brand, which you can get at grainger, or potentially other places locally.

ohhhh, I see what you're saying. To answer your question, yes they do exist, yes I have used them (not for aquariums, for groundwater treatment) and holy moly the good ones are expensive. What flow are you wanting to turn on/off?

The irrigation valves are very restrictive to flow (they have something like 1/8" opening in a diaphragm), so unless you were using it to do auto shutoff, or something where backpressure or flow restriction wasn't a big issue, it might work. Depends on application though.

Solenoid valves? I've always heard like victoly said the reliable PVC/plastic ones are expensive. The cheaper ones just knock out, as fast as 1 hour Stephens 440 or years down the road as the other put in at the same time was still working last I saw.

Chris

I looked a little more and

"Wetted parts are nylon, Teflon®, polypropylene, stainless steel, and Viton®."

The manufacturer's site has that while the site linked doesn't list the exposed stainless. I am skeptical of the life of this in stainless, maybe i will call the sales guys.

And here are some pics from the front with the granite in and the frame in and mostly done, just have to stain the bottom. I think I will need a little more light then this still.

rzLTgAV.jpg

fBVe2OZ.jpg

EasjI5s.jpg

I also finished all the important plumbing, and the RODI which now has a line running to the QT tank. The tank drains to the septic now if needed, and the closed loop is plumbed up. I am just missing one bulkhead to start it actually running.

I did suffere a pretty annoying setback here, in that I seem to have lost/had stolen? my skimmer. It seems to be about the only thing missing after moving two times. I don't know what gives, so I had to get a new one this weekend.

This brought me to measuring the space to get a skimmer in and I see now that there is only 11.5" to get a skimmer in because they used a 2x8 on the back of the stand. I was therefore limited to 10 and 11" skimmer bodies, so I went with the Super Reef Octupus 5000 in sump. Hopefully it does a good job, I know one of the major retailers personal 500g tank is running on one.

Yeah and it makes a nice beer shelf/makes the tank a gathering point. Plus it does a great job of hiding the bottom of the tank, so now it will be a very clean looking transition, water water water water sand granite!