FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

Got a nice used sump from Jen. I'm a realist with my free time and know it'll be a few months before I get it swapped out.

I put it on its side and currently using it as a tank towel holder. I took a look at it the other day and saw it looking back at me. [emoji4]af0b7c7089444b5af63bf616ea7c3e42.jpgdb3406e35e8c843c159f226ea6c3d201.jpge436668ddfb9ffdf4c48a517d279701e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Got a nice used sump from Jen. I'm a realist with my free time and know it'll be a few months before I get it swapped out.

I put it on its side and currently using it as a tank towel holder. I took a look at it the other day and saw it looking back at me. emoji4.pngaf0b7c7089444b5af63bf616ea7c3e42.jpgdb3406e35e8c843c159f226ea6c3d201.jpge436668ddfb9ffdf4c48a517d279701e.jpg

Lol that’s good stuff right there!!!

• Like 1

Lookin' good Ty! What a happy looking helper you got there haha. Do you take appointments for tank viewings? Should I schedule it through your assistant? One of these days I need to check out your system in person and pick up another piece of acro for testing a different tank I have set up. The piece of green slimer you gave me during the last meeting is currently doing well in my pico. Staying bright green with a bit more encrusting on the plug and good polyp extension, but not much vertical growth.

• Like 1

Lookin' good Ty! What a happy looking helper you got there haha. Do you take appointments for tank viewings? Should I schedule it through your assistant? One of these days I need to check out your system in person and pick up another piece of acro for testing a different tank I have set up. The piece of green slimer you gave me during the last meeting is currently doing well in my pico. Staying bright green with a bit more encrusting on the plug and good polyp extension, but not much vertical growth.
He's also the bouncer in case things get crazy in the fish room. [emoji4]

I'll hopefully be hosting a meeting sometime in the Spring for everyone to get a look at the setup. I won't be able to make the Winter frag swap but someone will be going there with my frag tank setup and a good number of my frags if you want to pick up any more testers. That's good that its encrusting and still staying bright green. The vertical growth will come... Most acro frags like to encrust a bit first and then go vertical.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

I put it on its side and currently using it as a tank towel holder. I took a look at it the other day and saw it looking back at me. emoji4.pngaf0b7c7089444b5af63bf616ea7c3e42.jpgdb3406e35e8c843c159f226ea6c3d201.jpge436668ddfb9ffdf4c48a517d279701e.jpg

That's just creepy!

• Like 1

Well, my dreams of having a golden butterfly have been dashed. The guy picked at acros as expected but was relentless, unlike my emperor which picks here and there. He also tried to destroy a fungia plate (to be expected) and went after a goni frag. The final straw was when he nipped at my anemones feet through the isolation box.

If he would have just pecked here and there like my angels, I would have been fine but he was on a mission to eat everything.

Be on the lookout for a for sale thread for a gorgeous golden butterfly that's already eating frozen. Fish only tanks! [emoji21]

2 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

Well, my dreams of having a golden butterfly have been dashed. The guy picked at acros as expected but was relentless, unlike my emperor which picks here and there. He also tried to destroy a fungia plate (to be expected) and went after a goni frag. The final straw was when he nipped at my anemones feet through the isolation box.

If he would have just pecked here and there like my angels, I would have been fine but he was on a mission to eat everything.

Be on the lookout for a for sale thread for a gorgeous golden butterfly that's already eating frozen. Fish only tanks! emoji21.png

Sorry to hear it, but my softy dominated tank is not. We should talk ;)

3 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

I can convert it to a Fish Only tank easily for you if you want. Just take this fish and call me in the morning. emoji2.png

Train it to eat GSP, anthelia, xenia, or blue clove and I think the club will have a new mascot.

You think it'll eat leathers and singulara?

Love the Naso. Did you get a male or just get lucky?

Got him the same way I lived my whole life... Just got lucky. He was a 3" little guy from Niko's and he spent most of his life in tubs because his owner got obsessed with disease management. He's been very happy to be able to stretch out a bit and swim amongst the corals again. If I ever get a good shot of his girth, it's impressive. He's very wide!

I find this very interesting. There are two pieces of echinata on this frag plug. One was what survived of my colony when I moved. Its the very green encrusting piece. The other is a piece I got back from a buddy that was from my original colony.

If you notice at the bottom of the bluer piece, you'll see that it has touched the greener piece and now that area is bluer but it still retains the green polyps. Its like grafting a piece of Hawkins echinata back to itself and seeing the slow transfer of color through the green piece. It'd be interesting to see when the green polyps go blue.ac65f211a993cb59cc6ba6f33c1c6605.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:

Got him the same way I lived my whole life... Just got lucky. He was a 3" little guy from Niko's and he spent most of his life in tubs because his owner got obsessed with disease management. He's been very happy to be able to stretch out a bit and swim amongst the corals again. If I ever get a good shot of his girth, it's impressive. He's very wide!

It's good to be lucky! I'm afraid that I haven't had much luck with Naso, but it's nice to see one get to be that size. They're definitely one of the more challenging fish - prone to both disease, oxygen, and water quality issues. 

• Like 1

It's good to be lucky! I'm afraid that I haven't had much luck with Naso, but it's nice to see one get to be that size. They're definitely one of the more challenging fish - prone to both disease, oxygen, and water quality issues. 
This guy was literally dead after I got velvet at the new house. I held him with two fingers in front of a power head for 30 mins trying to get him some oxygen (That's no easy feat when he's at full strength... He's "Strong like bull"). And when I let go, he would float off like a corpse, no control, just slamming into the walls of the tub and the rocks.

I threw him in a treatment tub with tons of bubbles and acriflavine for 1.5 hrs and thought I was going to be coming back to a dead fish but to my surprise, he was sitting there just swimming in the bucket and looking at me. Definitely a miracle that he's swimming in my tank right now.
  • Like 2

I find this very interesting. There are two pieces of echinata on this frag plug. One was what survived of my colony when I moved. Its the very green encrusting piece. The other is a piece I got back from a buddy that was from my original colony.

If you notice at the bottom of the bluer piece, you'll see that it has touched the greener piece and now that area is bluer but it still retains the green polyps. Its like grafting a piece of Hawkins echinata back to itself and seeing the slow transfer of color through the green piece. It'd be interesting to see when the green polyps go blue.ac65f211a993cb59cc6ba6f33c1c6605.jpg
Day 1, Day 2.4b938e13cd229105ee7fd1235fe15229.jpg

38 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

No, that's what my new tank aquascape is. Pulling body parts and corals from the old tank and trying to make something pretty out of it. emoji23.png

Isn't that about what we do in this hobby anyway? LR is just dead coral skeletons that we try to make something pretty with. It doesn't sound very cool when you put it that way :huh:

Isn't that about what we do in this hobby anyway? LR is just dead coral skeletons that we try to make something pretty with. It doesn't sound very cool when you put it that way :huh:
Grow from the bodies of your dead ancestors in a glass box full of water and electricity!