FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

11 hours ago, brian.srock said:

I need to find someone that'll 3d print me some probe holders and hose clips. Thanks for the idea ty. Those holders are legit.

I've got a printer as well, and have been considering having a stock of parts that Premium Members can pick from incentives for renewing...

• Like 2

I've got a printer as well, and have been considering having a stock of parts that Premium Members can pick from incentives for renewing...

Oh I like the sound of that. A small frag rack is tempting just because I'm running out of room. What I want is a frag rack I can hang from my center brace since that's just open space there

Oh I like the sound of that. A small frag rack is tempting just because I'm running out of room. What I want is a frag rack I can hang from my center brace since that's just open space there
Your tank is going to start looking like my master closet. [emoji23]

23 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:
47 minutes ago, Sascha D. said:
Pretty cool idea for that cuvette drier. That magnetic float switch holder is super pro! Thanks for sharing the website. 

I've been dying for a magnetic float switch holder! I'm glad he has it!

I'm using an autotopoff.com bracket to hold my switch. It works pretty well for me, but that magnetic holder would be much more precise.  ATO is one of the few things my Reef Angel can still do. LOL! BTW, beautiful Naso in that frag tank!

Edited by Sascha D.

i store my cuvettes w/ ro/di in them... they cant dry out and leave behind scale if they have DI in them [emoji4]
I've been rinsing twice with tap water and then twice with distilled water. I'm probably a little OCD. [emoji41]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Isaac said:

i store my cuvettes w/ ro/di in them... they cant dry out and leave behind scale if they have DI in them :)

I do something similar.  Rinse multiple times w/ tap (4-5 fills/shakes), upside down to drain on paper towel for a bit, repeat multiple rinses w/ tap, then into a container and fill entire container w/ DI water and typically leave them overnight.  Then out to dry upside down on paper towel for a couple of hours, give a good whack on the counter to shake water out before air drying on side.

I do something similar.  Rinse multiple times w/ tap (4-5 fills/shakes), upside down to drain on paper towel for a bit, repeat multiple rinses w/ tap, then into a container and fill entire container w/ DI water and typically leave them overnight.  Then out to dry upside down on paper towel for a couple of hours, give a good whack on the counter to shake water out before air drying on side.
Jeez, you guys make me feel like a slob. I rinse in tap water, shake it dry, and put it on the drying rack and walk away.
  • Like 1

Jeez, you guys make me feel like a slob. I rinse in tap water, shake it dry, and put it on the drying rack and walk away.
FarmerTy, I think you've got all kinds of mojo going on. Me, I think I have to rely on OCD. [emoji41]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:
39 minutes ago, BobcatReefer said:

I do the same thing exactly. Rinse in tap once and put on the drying rack. Although, I can see the logic in rinse once and fill with RODI. I guess it would matter a lot for something like PO4. For Alk and Ca I'm much less worried about the test result and more worried about the consistency of the results. Personally, I've never noticed a difference from maintaining 7 dKh/400 ppm or 9 dKH and 500 ppm. I just want to see consistent readings without major changes in fluctuation. 

i do the tests, rinse w/ tap a couple times, top it off w/ di, store it.  before use i shake out the DI, put some test water in it to shake it to remove the remainder of the di, empty that, then test.  the goal is to have a valid test and not have to waste too much time. :) 

Don't feel bad Ty, I just rinse mine out and throw them back into the container. They're always dry by the time I test again. Personally I don't see the need to leave them upside down to drain, most everything will come out with a couple shakes except for some tiny droplets, and they'll just dry on their own, upside down or not.
  • Like 1