FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

I had no idea that an automated skimmer cleaner was a thing until now. Thats pretty cool, yay for automation. Looking good Ty. [emoji106]
Its a thing for me but I've been told I have "sucker" tattooed to my forehead before. [emoji43]

Joking aside, I find it extremely useful to my busy life these days when combined with a giant skimmate reservoir.

Took advantage of black Friday to refresh my RO/DI setup.

Running the following now:

1) 1 micron sediment filter

2) catalytic carbon (eat that chloramines!)

3) catalytic carbon (have some more!)

4) Chlorplus carbon block (you had enough!)

5) Spectrapure Membrane (best rejection rate in the industry, will save me a ton of DI Resin over the years... TDS went from 14-15 to 7-8)

6) Spectrapure Membrane (makes water faster and even better waste water to clean water ratio with a 2nd membrane)

7) DI resin

8) DI resin

So I basically added one extra catalytic carbon prefilter to wipe out chloramines, replaced my old BRS membranes for the more efficient Spectrapure membranes, and added an extra DI stage for final scrubbing.

3c6866607b36fb802dedc77648d026a9.jpg

The old membranes were gross but were still performing. I think it was a good idea to retire them though as there was a bit of biofouling on the older membrane.

772f63ef2c9275198929cc74be3e2749.jpg

Oh, and nothing like adding another 5-gallon bucket of media to the collection. I now have 5-gallon containers of Ca, Alk, Rox Carbon, GFO, and catalytic carbon. I guess they call themselves Bulk Reef Supply for a reason.

694cb5bb28b0a9b993fc5882e94411cb.jpg

On 11/27/2017 at 7:27 PM, FarmerTy said:

Had a real productive day. Got my screens done on my tank so I don't come home to crispy carpet wrasses.

Went on a week-long road trip and came home to a tank minus one ruby head wrasse.  Why?  Because my housesitter didn't put the screen back on the tank on day friggin one.  :fool::fool::fool:

Her response?  "We'll just go to the store and get you another one."  Yeah, doesn't quite work like that, but thanks?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thinking I should check my sediment filter out. Been using a lot of DI resin. I do have a home filter system that removes a lot of crap before it gets to my RO system though. 
Like clockwork I change my prefilters... Every 6 months. Doing that will extend the life of your membrane and DI resin.

Went on a week-long road trip and came home to a tank minus one ruby head wrasse.  Why?  Because my housesitter didn't put the screen back on the tank on day friggin one.  :fool::fool::fool:
Her response?  "We'll just go to the store and get you another one."  Yeah, doesn't quite work like that, but thanks?
I did that the other day after feeding. Luckily nobody went carpet surfing on me. Sorry about your fish loss.

On 12/2/2017 at 9:20 AM, BobcatReefer said:

Dang!  That was such a nice wrasse Jeff :(

• Sad 1

On 12/2/2017 at 11:37 AM, FarmerTy said:
On 12/2/2017 at 9:34 AM, Kevin S. said:
Thinking I should check my sediment filter out. Been using a lot of DI resin. I do have a home filter system that removes a lot of crap before it gets to my RO system though. 

Like clockwork I change my prefilters... Every 6 months. Doing that will extend the life of your membrane and DI resin.

I should have said RO membrane, I change my prefilters every 6-8 months. 

How often do you change the membrane? I have never changed it in the 2 years I have had it. I have a six stage BRS system. 

How often do you change the membrane? I have never changed it in the 2 years I have had it. I have a six stage BRS system. 
The answer is really going to depend on your usage and how dirty your water supply is. Best way to test is take the incoming TDS before membrane and the effluent post membrane and see what percentage its still removing. If its below the rating of the membrane, then its time to replace it.

That being said, most membranes can last a good 3-5 years as long as the prefilters have been changed in a regular schedule.

The answer is really going to depend on your usage and how dirty your water supply is. Best way to test is take the incoming TDS before membrane and the effluent post membrane and see what percentage its still removing. If its below the rating of the membrane, then its time to replace it.

That being said, most membranes can last a good 3-5 years as long as the prefilters have been changed in a regular schedule.

Some new fish that came in today hanging out in QT.

Golden Butterflyfish and majestic angel. I was supposed to be getting a scribbled angel as well but the wholesaler goofed on the order. It'll be in next week.

f727b7148714501ae36b0079ddc9a7fa.jpg

Both fish were eating within 5 minutes out of the bags and don't care at all about my creepy wandering presence on the other side of the glass.

• Like 1

Awesome fish Ty! Aren't Semilarvatus supposed to be one of the most destructive butterflyfish though? When Jake first got that huge tank into the shop I told him that he should order 20 of them for a display tank. I remember him looking at me like I was crazy! :huh:

Awesome fish Ty! Aren't Semilarvatus supposed to be one of the most destructive butterflyfish though? When Jake first got that huge tank into the shop I told him that he should order 20 of them for a display tank. I remember him looking at me like I was crazy! :huh:

Its hit or miss I read. Much like most of my angels. My tolerance level is high though, nipping is tolerated... Eating the whole coral is not. We'll find out. I'm releasing him after QT to my frag tank first. If he treats it like a buffet, he's gone.

It's probably less of a factor when you have a lot of corals. He might pick on one or two, but there are so many that (hopefully) he doesn't single any out for termination. I've been thinking of getting a Lemon Butterflyfish for over a year, but I like my Euphyllias too much to take the chance. I've had my baby Emperor for three months and I haven't seen him pick on anything. I've heard that it gets worse as they are changing though. So when are you getting the Queen Angel?

It's probably less of a factor when you have a lot of corals. He might pick on one or two, but there are so many that (hopefully) he doesn't single any out for termination. I've been thinking of getting a Lemon Butterflyfish for over a year, but I like my Euphyllias too much to take the chance. I've had my baby Emperor for three months and I haven't seen him pick on anything. I've heard that it gets worse as they are changing though. So when are you getting the Queen Angel?
I've oddly never been a fan of the queen angel. Or I should say, I've never considered it so nice that I wanted one.

6 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:
9 minutes ago, Sascha D. said:

I've oddly never been a fan of the queen angel. Or I should say, I've never considered it so nice that I wanted one.

Truthfully, I'd never thought much of them until recently. I'm probably overdue for restocking since my tank is so fish light and everything looks good. I got my fish trap in the mail and I need to remove a damsel that's started to bite my fingers! I keep trying to talk myself into going fallow like you have, but I'm afraid to lose my wrasses. The stock that I've been getting recently hasn't been passing QT. Luckily most of them are under guarantee. How much do you charge to babysit and QT my fish?

Truthfully, I'd never thought much of them until recently. I'm probably overdue for restocking since my tank is so fish light and everything looks good. I got my fish trap in the mail and I need to remove a damsel that's started to bite my fingers! I keep trying to talk myself into going fallow like you have, but I'm afraid to lose my wrasses. The stock that I've been getting recently hasn't been passing QT. Luckily most of them are under guarantee. How much do you charge to babysit and QT my fish?
I hate QTing even my own fish so I'll start the price at $1,000,000.

92044174096db1fcc0e60f7445d3c1d4.jpg

I finally reset my password to get out of my hole! Time to change out these lazy goldfish with something cool. We are good thanks! The current set up is sweet, figured next time I looked at this thread it would have mh lights again :P

I finally reset my password to get out of my hole! Time to change out these lazy goldfish with something cool. We are good thanks! The current set up is sweet, figured next time I looked at this thread it would have mh lights again [emoji14]
Would leaving LEDs and going full T5 be close enough for you?