Juiceman

16 hours ago, Isaac said:

bleach doesnt evaporate.  bleach in water will gas off.  dried bleach is still an active oxidizer.   I'd leave it in a shallow bin w/ RO and bleach, in the sun.  should neutralize soon enough.....

or use prime :)

If it will get sunny one day.. maybe that will work!

So a bleach solution, and leave it out,..

or soak it in bleach solution, then drain and leave out?

46 minutes ago, Juiceman said:

If it will get sunny one day.. maybe that will work!

So a bleach solution, and leave it out,..

or soak it in bleach solution, then drain and leave out?

I'm paranoid.... i'd just rinse it multiple times, then leave it in the sun a week.  the rinsing should take care of it all, but the sun is the paranoid factor.   when in the sun, i'd agitate the sand every once in awhile to make sure the chlorine is "free" in the water, not trapped in the sand.  first couple rinses, use RO w/ prime in it... more paranoia

• Like 1

Great looking bunch of fish. I'll be getting some of those species myself. Where did you get them from?

John

I'm specifically interested in the Anthias. Are those from the IO? (Indian Ocean). I'm going to add those to my 120 and want to buy from a good local dealer if possible.

thanks, John

Great looking bunch of fish. I'll be getting some of those species myself. Where did you get them from?
John
I'm specifically interested in the Anthias. Are those from the IO? (Indian Ocean). I'm going to add those to my 120 and want to buy from a good local dealer if possible.
thanks, John

They're direct from Sea Dwelling Creatures via Niko's.

So they don't specify where they're from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No big update....
Lost 3 of the Anthias which can be expected....

And the Christmas wrasse never ate and died a few days ago.

The Regal is not an aggressive eater and I haven't seen him eat in the last few days but the large pieces of pe mysis are always gone when I come back to the tank and he's still very fat so I'm hoping for the best.

The desjardini has become quite the jerk to the copperband but he's still eating and active. Hoping it stays healthy.

Had a piece of SPS STN from siting on its side too long so I snipped it up and propped up as many other pieces as I could.

Tank is still scheduled to not be ready for another 4-5 weeks... tic toc

• 2 weeks later...

My SPS are starting to really show the woahs of a life in a tub.

Several are TN'ing at the bases. I just had to frag up 2 small newer colonies and glue several bases.

Getting some cyano all over the SPS rack which I think Is part of the problem.

Tested my ALK and its spot on at 7.44.

I'm going to test Po4 and see if maybe it's creeping up now that I have a decent amount of fish and am feeding daily again.

I haven't changed our GFO in a long time since it kept testing 0 and I wasn't getting any algae.

Will post results later

Well.... fish continue to be an issue...
Down to 1 Lyretail Anthias out of 8.
Lost the Clown Wrasse, Flame Back angel and 1 Purple Tang today.

The wrasse, Anthias, and Flame back were finishing QT tomorrow... :/

17 hours ago, Juiceman said:

Well.... fish continue to be an issue...
Down to 1 Lyretail Anthias out of 8.
Lost the Clown Wrasse, Flame Back angel and 1 Purple Tang today.

The wrasse, Anthias, and Flame back were finishing QT tomorrow... :/

Any idea why you are loosing all these fish? I'm assuming you are all over ensuring proper water quality. I'm no expert, but this seems like a very high mortality rate for any vendor, even the bad ones. Sorry, I'm not trying to highlight the losses, I'm just trying to learn as I will be buying a lot of fish for my 120 at some time in the near future.

thanks,

John

26 minutes ago, HarleyGuy said:

Any idea why you are loosing all these fish? I'm assuming you are all over ensuring proper water quality. I'm no expert, but this seems like a very high mortality rate for any vendor, even the bad ones. Sorry, I'm not trying to highlight the losses, I'm just trying to learn as I will be buying a lot of fish for my 120 at some time in the near future.

thanks,

John

Well, Anthias have a bad mortality rate anyway.

And I have been purposfully trying some that are finicky in the first place.

I wouldn't attribute it to quality of water but stress of medication and shipping.

1 set had velvet which killed several, 2 sets were riddled with flukes which caused a few to die from secondary infections.

I'm learning about how to treat and diagnose better along the way as well. There are a few I could have saved had I known what I know now about what certain things look like.