Desjardini Sailfin Tang

Emperor Angel

Flame Angel

Yellow Longnose Butterfly

Copperband Butterfly

Powder Brown Tang

Yellow Foxface

824f9cf0400c916caeae45b37b124292.jpg

All are not showing any issues of parasites and just have a few nips and scratches from each other.

Waiting for the Blonde Naso, Tomini, and Kole to eat... everyone else has!

a8ddc6894e0bbaa0c249f9ae43413df9.jpg

I'll be focusing on them for a while, and then doing a set of Anthias and the rest of the tangs I want and I should have a full stock again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All Fish and Coral are doing well.

QT fish are all still good, with no signs of issues.

Ironically tried live brine yesterday to get the few that hadn't eaten to eat, worked for the tomini and blonde Naso, Kole still hasn't eaten but is going for algae on the glass.

Funny story, I put some pellets in to see what they would do, and they went for the pellets....

What fish goes for pellets and not frozen.. haha

I'm thinking these are good signs! Maybe the tank leak was ultimately for the best!

When this is all said and done. The system will look even better, and easier to maintain.

Just don't care for the road to get there.

• Like 1

30897188b4beb67dede68ca5591ed37a.jpg

My current FTS .,... ha

I lost 2 Purple Fire Fish... :/

All others are fine. All coral good.

I had some bacterial die off on my live rock that was in my 55 gallon drum.

I think what happened was:

When the tank sprung a leak, I had my 100g fish bin running independent which I'm sure was loaded with nitrates since there was no really biological filtration.

I emptied the fish bin water into the drum which was going to house the live rock since I needed to put the tank water with the corals in the 100g tub.

I had a few snails and crabs that were still on the live rock when I put it in...

I had a powerhead on the bottom and top of the rock but I think the nitrate laden water killed the snails and crabs which caused an ammonia spike in the rock bin which killed some areas of the rock.

I came home to a living room that smelled like death on Christmas Eve and discovered that the rock tub smelled like skimmer juice.

I started pulling the rock out to discover black areas of dieoff.

I pulled all the rock out and out it into the 100g bin which was now empty, and put fresh clean water in and started the water moving. Installed my canister filter which was on the fish bin as well.

Been dosing lots of bacteria and it looks nice and clean again. Will leave it going until the new tank is here.

fb60fc6b5f6c11c7b2c84401e628c42b.jpg

New Tank Details.

Still never heard from DAS or Planet... it was 3-4 days before Christmas but still...

Reef Savvy Quoted $5000 not including delivery and a time of at least 6 months.

AGE was around half that with shipping to my house included with a quote time of no more than 8 weeks.

They even told me they could get it to me in 3 weeks if I used 3/4 glass since they were doing a few 3/4 tanks at the moment. Would have costed another 1500 so I decided not to go with it.

The new tank will have Black Seams, PVC bottom, Steel bracing on the top and bottom with no Cross bracing.

I opted to have it drilled in the same places as my old tank so I could keep all my plumbing and overflows intact and not have to spend anymore money.

I looked into Ghost and Synergy overflows but run into issues with using that style of overflow with my current sump. I would have to buy a new sump and change all of my plumbing again. They will probably be in my future tank setup but for now, I'll keep what I just bought and worked on.

I looked at the AGE tanks in person at Fish Gallery and they look really nice and solid. Basically all those Big Fish Gallery tanks you see in the mall and offices are AGE. In case you didn't know. I was told by their rep that they have never had a report of failure on their tanks that wasn't accident related which is good news to me.

They may be who I use on my dream tank later. Time will tell.

• Like 2

New Tank Details.

Still never heard from DAS or Planet... it was 3-4 days before Christmas but still...

Reef Savvy Quoted $5000 not including delivery and a time of at least 6 months.

AGE was around half that with shipping to my house included with a quote time of no more than 8 weeks.

They even told me they could get it to me in 3 weeks if I used 3/4 glass since they were doing a few 3/4 tanks at the moment. Would have costed another 1500 so I decided not to go with it.

The new tank will have Black Seams, PVC bottom, Steel bracing on the top and bottom with no Cross bracing.

I opted to have it drilled in the same places as my old tank so I could keep all my plumbing and overflows intact and not have to spend anymore money.

I looked into Ghost and Synergy overflows but run into issues with using that style of overflow with my current sump. I would have to buy a new sump and change all of my plumbing again. They will probably be in my future tank setup but for now, I'll keep what I just bought and worked on.

I looked at the AGE tanks in person at Fish Gallery and they look really nice and solid. Basically all those Big Fish Gallery tanks you see in the mall and offices are AGE. In case you didn't know. I was told by their rep that they have never had a report of failure on their tanks that wasn't accident related which is good news to me.

They may be who I use on my dream tank later. Time will tell.

Thanks for the tank builder feedback Juiceman.
  • Like 1

Lost my copperband and yellow Longnose butterfly in QT. :/

The we're both eating well.

531a621bedd79440d7f6a049b0314b92.jpg

The Longnose succumbed to a lesion on his side which never healed. I had antibacterial, and paraguard but I guess it didn't help him.

The copperband had a similar lesion on his side but it didn't look nearly as bad and he was eating like a pig... woke up this morning to find him upside down and breathing hard.

Any successful butterfly keepers have any ideas of something I may be missing?

I run paraguard and prazi pro day 1, then just Paraguard daily and antibacterial if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, looks like I have a Powder Brown, Blonde Naso, Kole, Foxface, Yellow Tang, and Flame Angel that will graduate to the display tub in a few days.

I just lost a few to a combination of issues due to flukes.

I wasn't treating with prazi since I'd already done that treatment as soon as I got everything, so I didn't think to try it again when a few of the fish started showing issues... so I was dosing for the wrong things.

In the future, I plan to do 2 rounds of prazi reguardless of signs instead of just 1 to stop it from being an issue again.

c717c5d124806d6d776215de6a4099a0.jpg

Finally got around to rinsing my sand.....

Water was black the first few rinses and smelled of death...

It's fairly clean. Will hit it again tomorrow.

I'm debating on bleaching and killing it, or just rinsing it every few days until the new tank comes it.

I found it easy to bleach the marine pure balls and dry them afterwards to let the bleach evaporate, but i don't think that will work the same with the sand..

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Juiceman said:

I found it easy to bleach the marine pure balls and dry them afterwards to let the bleach evaporate, but i don't think that will work the same with the sand..

bleach doesnt evaporate.  bleach in water will gas off.  dried bleach is still an active oxidizer.   I'd leave it in a shallow bin w/ RO and bleach, in the sun.  should neutralize soon enough.....

or use prime :)

• Like 1