JEREMY'S 200G eurobraced build

offroadodge

No it doesnt affect the corals, i wanted to go with a little dirtier tank this go around. I think it is cotton candy algae. A UNLS tank is just so close to the edge of a disaster that this way the tank feeds itself. The algae was there B4 i did the LEDs. It has actually gotten better. Thank you for the compliment.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

where to start, not much has changed except my corals are growing like crazy. About a week and a half ago I decided to turn my skimmer off, now a week or so later I can already see some things changing. My colors especially reds and blues have improved a lot. Gonna see how things go and if need be I may turn it back on but for now its gonna stay offline. I just purchased a new camera for the wife for XMas and I will try and post some recent pics.

• Like 1

No it doesnt affect the corals, i wanted to go with a little dirtier tank this go around. I think it is cotton candy algae. A UNLS tank is just so close to the edge of a disaster that this way the tank feeds itself. The algae was there B4 i did the LEDs. It has actually gotten better. Thank you for the compliment.

Jeremy,

Your tank looks very nice. How long did you run a UNLS tank? I have never experienced the SPS rage. From my point of view, it made the hobby more work and more expensive than I cared for. When you mentioned running a more nutrient rich system, have you found some SPS that like more nutrients? I noted that you turned your skimmer off a week ago. Without skimmer, during lights out, have you found lower dissolved oxygen levels in the main tank.

Patrick

Patrick,

So as far as dissolved oxygen, my PH with the skimmer on went threw a swing of about 7.78-8.12, with the skimmer off its around 7.58-8.05. To me that's not that big of an issue I guess. I have seen a dramatic change in the colors of my corals w/o the skimmer. When I had my 120G in the wall it was always testing this testing that trying to keep the PO4 low. Now all I do is water changes every 2wks and feed the fish. I was really wore out doing all the work, and now seeing that a little algae everywhere isn't a big deal and the corals are growing leaps and bounds I think I like the simple way. Thanks for the compliment Patrick. I need to schedule a meeting here at my house maybe to show PPL that you don't have to have a spik and span tank to have coral grow and thrive.

• Like 3

I would enjoy the ARC meeting that you proposed. For many new comers to this marvelous hobby, "The Tank of the Month" pictures can be a daunting goal. Instead of rest and relaxation to be enjoyed, it sometimes becomes more work with less play. I consider it good stewardship for this hobby when leaders as yourself say, "slow down and smell the roses". If we made it more fun with less emphases to maintain sparkling clean systems, we would have a more diverse membership in our hobby.

I remember the first MACNA conference I went to, both Eric Borneman and Anthony Calfo said to feed your corals. Anthony was a proponent of skimming and Eric did not encourage skimmers.

Healthy bacteri populations in our reef tanks promote stable long term success in our eco systems. Filter feeders, including coral, consume bacteria. At the very least, aggressive protein skimming removes food for the coral and skews bacteria populations.

As I have been skimmerless for more than 20 years, I rely heavily on janitors. One of my favorite janitor events is to lay on floor with my 6 year old grandchild. Each of us gets an illuminated magnifying glass and we visit the "little people" in my 30G mud/macro refugium. The enjoys of life can be very simple.

Laissez la bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

Patrick,

So as far as dissolved oxygen, my PH with the skimmer on went threw a swing of about 7.78-8.12, with the skimmer off its around 7.58-8.05. To me that's not that big of an issue I guess. I have seen a dramatic change in the colors of my corals w/o the skimmer. When I had my 120G in the wall it was always testing this testing that trying to keep the PO4 low. Now all I do is water changes every 2wks and feed the fish. I was really wore out doing all the work, and now seeing that a little algae everywhere isn't a big deal and the corals are growing leaps and bounds I think I like the simple way. Thanks for the compliment Patrick. I need to schedule a meeting here at my house maybe to show PPL that you don't have to have a spik and span tank to have coral grow and thrive.

With respect to pH fluctuations, it has always been my belief that a constant pH was not healthy for marine eco systems. Within our lagoons and salt water marshes there is constant flux in all parameters, yet these systems are the nursery to the ocean. These systems feed the earths population. I always back a winner. I emulate nature.

Patrick

Patrick, I can see your point about competitions, but as a newbie, it would be cool to see what tanks can look like with various housekeeping methods. I spent a lot of time going through the FTS thread when I started. It'd be nice if people listed the basics for each one. Age, filtration, lights, type of water, and anal retentive-ness.

How cool would it be to have an impromptu check. Post a picture at a random time without having an hour or more of sprucing up to make sure no algae is visible on the glass. See what the tanks look like every day, not just when company comes :).

• Like 1

where to start, not much has changed except my corals are growing like crazy. About a week and a half ago I decided to turn my skimmer off, now a week or so later I can already see some things changing. My colors especially reds and blues have improved a lot. Gonna see how things go and if need be I may turn it back on but for now its gonna stay offline. I just purchased a new camera for the wife for XMas and I will try and post some recent pics.

what caused the crash?

Patrick, I can see your point about competitions, but as a newbie, it would be cool to see what tanks can look like with various housekeeping methods. I spent a lot of time going through the FTS thread when I started. It'd be nice if people listed the basics for each one. Age, filtration, lights, type of water, and anal retentive-ness.

How cool would it be to have an impromptu check. Post a picture at a random time without having an hour or more of sprucing up to make sure no algae is visible on the glass. See what the tanks look like every day, not just when company comes smile.png.

kind of like this?

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/25757-your-tank-today-2313/

How cool would it be to have an impromptu check. Post a picture at a random time without having an hour or more of sprucing up to make sure no algae is visible on the glass. See what the tanks look like every day, not just when company comes :).

If you want to know more about tank parameters, then ask the question on the tank build thread. Why is it necessary to have a TOTM competition to learn about methods. If we wished to make it a learning experience, then a 5 year minimum set up requirement should be paramount in prerequisites. It is relatively easy, with money and knowledge, to set up a show tank to win a picture contest. It is entirely different to maintain healthy vibrant systems for the long haul.

Patrick

• 1 month later...

well I threw out my Pearlberry colony today, for the past month or more I have watched it decline. Starting with the tips looking burned then algaea growing from them, to this week a slow STN from the base of the coral. I have had this colony since I started my 1st tank (over 8+ years). It has been threw a lot and I had hope for it but to no avail. It had lost a lot of color and just didn't look healthy. Upon removing it today once I pulled it from the water it had that ACRO death smell. Oh well, now I have a spot to put more corals. I recently received a piece of RED DRAGON and it is taking off very nicely.

So sorry to hear about the loose of your Pearlberry colony. Now I wish I had taken the time to stop by and get a cutting of it. Then I could have returned the favor! So sorry to hear about the loose of your Pearlberry colony.

Dave-