JEREMY'S 200G eurobraced build

offroadodge

Friday came(yesterday) and I just went to work and had all day to think about what to do...When I got home last night I decided that I needed to relief the area where the LEDs would be mounted

post-395-0-72962000-1363437546_thumb.jpg

then I mounted the LEDs. You can see what I was trying to accomplish, I didn't want the angle to block any of the light being emitted to the water so that's why I gave it a slight arc cut.

post-395-0-72018000-1363437717_thumb.jpg

Now it was time to get to wiring the LEDs, I am going to run them in SERIES. I know the 1st thing everyone will say "But if you have one go out they all go out" I know....That's just the way im gonna do it. Its VERY easy for me to change out an LED if needed. I have to run some errands this morning. I will post pics of the wiring and firing up of the 1st bar of LEDs. Thanks to both Chris's especially OZARKA. He was here last night when we fired the 1st bar up and all I can say is WOW...Enjoy!

• Like 1

These are going to look awesome.

I was actually surprised by the whites and how crisp of a 20k it was. Once we fired the Actinics it was just an awesome color. The UV are just added pop.

Not to toot my own horn, but I'm awesome at sitting on a cooler and drinking beer. So if anyone else ever needs any help with someone to just agree with whatever they say, I'm your guy. Just feed me beers and I'll "help" all night.

So why did you cut the heat sink? Will you be using optics? Will the heatsink still be efficient at cooling the larger 10w LEDs?

I didn't cut the heat sinks at all, I bought 2-4" heatsinks. I don't plan on using optics cause these are gonna be for supplemental lighting. They may add in growth a little but that's not my objective. Im just cutting back on the buying of T5 bulbs every 6-8 months and the power comsumption they use. The heatsink weighed about 25lbs a piece so with that they should be fine. I tested them for about 5 minutes and I could touch the heatsink right next to the LEDs and didn't feel any heat.

Do you plan on using thermal paste between the LED and heatsink? It might be a good idea.

Yes..i did my research. I have been looking at doing this for over 8 months. I used artic silver5. You know how I am about over doing things, kinda ainal but in a good way. Ask Chris (Ozarka), I was installing the potentiomiters on a piece of aluminum and he said just put them on there, I said they have to be the exact spacing. Well in the end I had one that was about a 1/16" further apart than the other. Oh well its a DIY.

Here is a pic of one heat sink fired up on the work bench Friday night when Chris was here.

post-395-0-09463000-1363528630_thumb.jpg

So Saturday I went to FRYs and got misc parts. Got the power supplies mounted and dimmer pots mounted as well. We had a little issue with one power supply, Like they say "NEVER LET THE SMOKE OUT" well we did on one so now I have to get a replacement. No biggie. Here is a pic of the layout of power supplies and the dimmer pots in the upper right hand corner of the cabinet.

post-395-0-89327100-1363528812_thumb.jpg

I just need to get power cords and wire in the wall wart to dim the power supplies. Oh and a lot more soldering wires together. More pics as I go.

So Saturday I went to FRYs and got misc parts. ot the power supplies mounted and dimmer pots mounted as well. We had a little issue with one power supply, Like they say "NEVER LET THE SMOKE OUT" well we did on one so now I have to get a replacement. No biggie. Here is a pic of the layout of power supplies and the dimmer pots in the upper right hand corner of the cabinet.

I blame Jake's Irish Red.

AC In, DC out, who needs to pay attention anyways. A few sparks here and there just add to the new build excitement.

So I have to agree that I WASNT the one to let the smoke out...And it didn't take CHRIS long to unplug the plug when sparks started fyling..LOL. No worries Chris.

Your setup looks very clean! Color me impressed.

Thank you Victoly.

I don't have that color..

What do you mean by not having the color?

So I am a very busy boddied person, here is the rack I came up with to hang the light. In the center my MH pendants will set on this angle aluminum. I will have the ability to remove any item for repairs/replace of LEDs etc.

post-395-0-52418200-1363542710_thumb.jpg

depends on the project, I have plugged in my GOPRO 3 HERO Black so that I can take a B4 and after video of the tank so that the switch to LEDs/MHs can be documented. Getting closer to the day. I will probly have to pull a late night Friday night.

I am officially LED and MHs now. Thank you Ozarka for coming by to help hang the new fixture, your help was very appreciated. I took a video of the tank B4 I took the old lights down and today I will get a video of the new fixture for everyone to compare. I have to say that the combination of lights looks awesome!

here is what the fixture looked like with the MH pendants mounted in them

post-395-0-56968700-1364059793_thumb.jpg

Here is what the canopy looked like opened up and tilted up with new fixture setting ready to be hung

post-395-0-99068600-1364059860_thumb.jpg

Here is a quick pic of the tank with my cell and just the LEDs on

post-395-0-04180400-1364060055_thumb.jpg

remember this is only 20-10W LEDs lighting the tank

Look for some DIY lighting stuff forsale in the forsale section soon, I will have VHOs and ballasts, as well as T5 workhorse ballasts, and T5 clips to hold bulbs. Also some other things.

• 3 months later...