Andrew's Blog

ACampbell

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wanted to write an update about some of my recent set backs.

Firstly, my phyto culture was doing great! It turned a very dark green and was doing good until after the first split. A week after the split it crashed. This seems to be a theme for anyone who has started a culture from DT's. I need to go back to square one and order some real starter disc. Im going to pick up some real fertilizer too. Right now I have been feeding the rotifers from a new DT bottle, which is crazy expensive. The rotifers consume much more green water than what you would expect. They are pigs. They would happily consume two liters a day if you would give it to them. Everyday they multiply by 7, so I have been harvesting them and feeding them to the main tank.

Secondly, The clown eggs have been disappearing on day 5 or 6. This is extremely frustrating. The regular amount of time before they hatch is 8 days. I am totally stumped. Some have suggested that the parents will eat the clutch if they have protein deficiency. This could be the case, but I have been feeding a cube of mini mysis everyday for the past several weeks. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Lastly. I have a book recommendation for anyone thinking about trying to raise clownfish. Clownfish by Joyce D. Wilkerson. It is great! Has ton a useful information about rearing as well as info on clowns in the wild.

blogentry-3-12521651849056_thumb.jpeg

post-3-13019292270886_thumb.jpeg

That would probably be the smarter/cheaper solution than what I'm doing with my RO setup. I have a solenoid connected to my RO feed line which opens when the float valves detect the water is low in my RO storage container. Of course,, my system isn't very fail-safe, uses electricity near water, and cost me $20 for the solenoid and $40 for the float valves, relay, etc. You're so much smarter than me!

Andrew,

Are you separating the eggs from the parents? I don't know much about clown fish rearing, but we did breed and raise guppies a while back for fun. You might find what we did useful.

We had the female guppies in a hexagon tank and divided the top and bottom using a plastic netting. When the guppies where born they would sink to the bottom. The females, which typically eat their young, could not get to the babies through the netting. I believe the netting was made from a cross-stitching sheet (my girlfriend has them and I think she got them from Micheal's). We cut the sheet with sizzors; and we attached the sheet with suction cups to the sides of the tank. We also put some fake plants in to act as hiding places for the babies.

might be a good idea to remove the eggs to the rearing tank. You will need to put a slow current of air bubbles close to them. try and get the parameters in both tanks as close as possible before making the transfer. Maybe drip acclimate as well.

If you go the two tank route you might do it with a water change. Make the acclimation easier by taking water from original tank like a water change. Use the water from the original tank to make up 50% of the water in the new tank/container. Then go one step further by acclimating the new guys with a drip acclimation.

This is way different from mollies. The two tank method is the only way. It is not possible to rear them in the main tank. I have taken 100 percent of the water I need for the rearing tank when I harvest the eggs. Last time I harvested very early because I knew the clutch would be destroyed by the parents. I managed to hatch several out by putting the frag plug that the eggs were laid on, above a bubble stone in the rearing tank to keep them well oxygenated and free from bacteria. I have hatched out my first clownfish with a egg development time of 9 days (milestone!). Now if I can just figure out why to parents are destroying eggs, I can move on to the next set of challenges.

• 4 months later...

Well my bubble coral was getting huge! I'm talking the size of a basketball, and in a small 34 gallon aquarium, that is just not cool. I have thought about fragging this coral for some time, but never knew exactly how I might approach it. With all the fleshy part it seems like it would be a bit more work than say breaking a sps coral. I thought that running it through a table saw was probably best, but I don't own one.

Last Friday the bubble corals neighbor, a RBTA, up and walked away, which was the last straw for me. See here and then here.

I decided I would attempt to saw this guy in half with my mini hack saw. It worked out perfectly! Check out these photos:

Bubble coral before the fragging:

gallery_3_1_380287.jpg

gallery_3_1_11484.jpg

Tools used:

gallery_3_1_226862.jpg

The cutting process took me about 15 minutes:

gallery_3_1_253568.jpg

gallery_3_1_74868.jpg

And viola! Two bubble corals:

gallery_3_1_13902.jpg