Andrew's Blog

ACampbell

Regarding the use of Miracle Grow, I found this discussion interesting.

I missed this last clutch of eggs hatching. Every online article I have found states they hatch on the 8th day. These were laid on a Monday and hatched on a Sunday. Thats only 6 days. Oh well, my rotifers have not even been shipped yet, so I am no where near ready. I was just going to practice my harvesting techniques.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A very generous friend gave me two fire prawn gobies. They have been in my tank since July 24th. When I got them, it was very late in the evening. I wanted to see them the next morning so I added them to a small tupperware with holes to hold them overnight. I have only seen them a couple of times since them. I saw one earlier today which reminded me to share this video. They are the same size as a zyrtec and they hide in the smallest nooks and craneys of my live rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watchh?v=RazjRridpD4

Just edited my post to include another video of them swimming away. It shows their cool spike fin movement.

I'm not sure if they would pair up with a pistol. They are so tiny. I do have a yasha/pistol pair in the tank, but they have kept to themselves (I guess).

P.S. please forgive the dirty glass.

My BrineShrimpDirect order arrived. I got some more supplies for culturing rotifers and hatching baby brine shrimp.

gallery_3_136_383.jpg

I had to do a double take on these rotifer cysts. When I ordered them it said between 3000 and 5000 cysts. When I opened the box all I saw was that little tiny bottle. I took this macro shot. Guess I'll start these guys up in the petri dish soon.

gallery_3_136_35359.jpg

I know! I emailed BSD that photo and asked it it was right.

My clowns acted like they were going to lay last night so I went ahead to start the rotifer culture. Right now it just looks like water in a petri dish. I'll post an entry about it assuming it works!

The phyto culture is doing good (surprisingly). I probably just jinxed it!

This past Saturday I witnessed the clownfish laying their eggs. I took a bunch of pics but nothing really turned out that great. I was trying not to disturb them. Check it out. Pretty amazing.

gallery_136_271389.jpg

gallery_136_180241.jpg

gallery_136_355621.jpg

gallery_136_26701.jpg

gallery_136_141182.jpg

gallery_136_2161.jpg

That frag plug that you see in the pics is where I was hoping they would lay their eggs. It's in the same place as their last batch but apparently they didn't like it.

Picked up these panda gobies last night. They are wicked cool!

gallery_3_1_65809.jpg

Also caught a rare shot of a spikefin. I see them both regularly, but they are hard to photograph. My big black camera seems to scare them away.

Crummy pic I know.

gallery_3_1_126421.jpg

I have been feeding my excess live rotifers to the tank daily. These tiny gobys LOVE them, they really come out of the wood works to catch them.