ACampbell

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Ah.....how in the world would you get cyanide in your tank? That is generally used in Indonesia to "stun" fish for capture but, that should have long since dissipated?

I know how that goes though, I have a Bermuda Triangle in my setup too! :)

Remember, even Brian and John from Kingfish said they put something like 20 Blue Chromis in Mojo's tank and no one knows where they disappeared to?????

We are pleased to announce the release of the newly upgraded ARC blog system!

• New Features
  • New Default Style
  • Themes and Custom Headers
  • Content Block Plugin System
  • Social Bookmarks
  • Media Integration
  • Akismet Integration
  • Feedburner Integration

Select you own theme from the predefined list or create your own by writing your own CSS. See the other themes for a example to work with. I'm happy to help if you want to take yours to the next level.

A big shout out to Paul (aka BeefyTang) for his tremendous help with beta testing.

We plan on continuing to develop themes/headers to choose from. They will be announced in the announcement forum when they become available.

I have lost a few colonies lately for unexplained reasons. A lot of others are starting to show signs of stress now. I thought that maybe my alkalinity might have risen to dangerous levels, but when I checked it earlier it was 9.6. I just did a 30g water change using TM pro. Hopefully things will flip. Wish me luck.

Readings from earlier

N's: 0

Ammonia: 0

Phos: 0

Alk: 9.6

Mg: 1280

Ca: 360

Tank pH: 8

Ca Reactor effluent pH: 6.8

I have had the reef tank blues lately. I've have even been considered going a completely different direction with the tank. If things don't change, that may be the route I go. :)

Andrew,

It might not be anything you are testing for.. it might be an "invisible" chemical warfare, or a hostile bacterial culture going. It could always be a metal leaching

into the water from some worn out device or some stray voltage leaking as well.

Questions:

Are you running carbon? If not, you might want to do that as a catch-all, or

change out the carbon as sometimes it harbours some nasty bacterial growths

if it's left running too long.

I am convinced that there are some nasty bacterial diseases responsible for

"RTN" that science simply has not pinpointed yet. Did you see RTN happening on the colonies that were lost?

Do you run an ORP monitor? - Has it fallen off lately?

Are your sps, lps or softies, having trouble?

Have you checked for parasites?

Any new additions (corals) to the tank?

Over what period of time did you loose the colonies?

And after the water change, did you see any improvement on the corals?

You probably taken some actions to all of this questions, just trying to understand what could be the problem.

Your parameters seem to be in check. I hope things turn around, you have a beautiful tank.

Cyanide destroys the liver, and the gall bladder - the creatures usually do just fine until the first heavy meal.

After which the liver can not filter the blood, and are incapable of producing any bile needed to digest meat and so then they die. (The food actually poisons them

because the digestive system is no longer fully functional).

Personally, I think people should be force-fed the fish they catch this way - then

we can watch as it happens to them..

Usually the fish will be fine for a few days after it gets home, then finally decides to come out of hiding and starts to eat... then it's doomed.

It might not be anything you are testing for.. it might be an "invisible" chemical warfare, or a hostile bacterial culture going. It could always be a metal leaching

into the water from some worn out device or some stray voltage leaking as well.

This has been my impression so far. I'm positive it's not a metal because the clams are all doing good.

Questions:

Are you running carbon? If not, you might want to do that as a catch-all, or

change out the carbon as sometimes it harbours some nasty bacterial growths

if it's left running too long.

Yes changed it last week, the one before that had been in there some time. It's sitting in a bag next to the return.

I am convinced that there are some nasty bacterial diseases responsible for

"RTN" that science simply has not pinpointed yet. Did you see RTN happening on the colonies that were lost?

Yes

Do you run an ORP monitor? - Has it fallen off lately?

IDK, I don't check ORP

Are your sps, lps or softies, having trouble?

Specifically SPS. digi's, slimers, and montis seem to be the most affected right now. Some acros show no signs of stress.

Have you checked for parasites?

No known parities found. Speficialy checked for nudies, flat worms, and red bugs

Any new additions (corals) to the tank?

Yes, have added few small frags. I always dip new additions.

Over what period of time did you loose the colonies?

Not overnight. The quickest death took a few days.

And after the water change, did you see any improvement on the corals?

Don't know yet, but will soon.

You probably taken some actions to all of this questions, just trying to understand what could be the problem.

Your parameters seem to be in check. I hope things turn around, you have a beautiful tank.

Thanks for the help.

what do you mean by diffrent direction?

I think he's going to use plastic corals and maybe a treasure chest thingy with the air bubbles coming out of it. Fail-safe stuff. =)

That's actually not far from what I was thinking. I am wanting to do a completely different biotope.

Here's some destruction shots. Most are blurry, but you get the idea.

Bye Bye Monti

IMG_5795.jpg

Slimer Free slimer

IMG_5794.jpg

Base Recession on Trumpet

IMG_5789.jpg

Acro Tip

IMG_5792.jpg

Purple Cap got Capped

IMG_5787.jpg

Large Acro starting to turn south

IMG_5788.jpg

Toasted Hydro

IMG_5785.jpg

Really wanting to abandon ship, but assuming the worst is over, I will just ride it out. Wish me luck.

OUCH!! That hurts just to see the RTN. I'm wondering, what was the first coral that went south? About the "hydnophora".....how far away is it from the rest of the affected corals? Speaking from experience, an incident similar to yours happened to us 5 yrs. ago.......had about 2 sps and a few lps. The first coral was the hydno--- flesh was melting away and during that time the following perished: a favia, brain coral, the 2 sps. Still to this day we believe that some chemical warfare was going on.