ACampbell

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LR.jpg

100 lbs of Prem Figi (uncured) and 30 lbs of base.

I got 2 40lbs bags of Caribsea Agronight reef sand. I'm not sure when or how to add it. I guess it will be best to set the bag down in the water then slit it and spread? Will probably do this tomorrow.

I still need to pick up a 55" daylight T5 to replace one of the Atinics.

• 1 month later...

Got this fire prawn goby from mike. It is the smallest fish I have ever seen in the hobby. Even smaller than a panda goby. I managed to snap a few pics when I added it yesterday. Hopefully I will see it again someday.

007.jpg

in the bag

024.jpg

Here you can really gage it's size. That is GSP. A nasarriaus snail on the left and a turbo snail on the right.

I have added a ton of new fish to my FOWLR. I hope to have a post on it soon. I just need to compile the pics and get them edited.

• 4 months later...

Quick video of my clowns in their rose bubble tip anemone:

Video of my yasha hase goby. If you watch the cave closely, you will see the randali pistol shrimp has a brief cameo.

Sorry for the poor quality. these were taken on my phone and further compressed by youtube. I hope to have many more soon!

• 1 month later...

Last month I noticed abnormal activity from my percula clownfish. They had a different kind of body language. It took me a little bit but I finally noticed that they had their first batch of eggs. It was right by the foot of their anemone and it was covered by tentacles half the time. From what I understand it was a rather small batch. Approximately 30 eggs. I watched the parents care for this batch and it was interesting to watch the eggs develop. I want to try my hand at rearing some fry as a fun side project.

A friend of mine donated this tank. I will initially add the newly hatched fry to this tank with airstone for circulation and daily water changes to remove excess nutrients and waste food. It is probably not bigger than 15 gallons?

gallery_3_136_36530.jpg

I managed to snap a few good pics of the eggs. These are actually quite something. With the anemone covering them half the time and the father protecting them the other half it is difficult to get a clear shot.

Taken with a 100mm macro lens:

gallery_3_1_259286.jpg

That blury orange thing at the top is the male clown.

Cropped image:

gallery_3_1_64731.jpg

Right now Im trying to get all the equipment I will need. I already have the tank with light, water, salt, bleach, buckets, air pumps, and grade A brine shimp eggs. I made a small purchase to brineshrimpdirect for an artemia incubator, 150 micron mesh bag, 250 micron mesh bag, and saltwater rotifer cysts.

I still need a phyto culture to feed rotifers, however I read somewhere that if the newly born hatchlings are large enough they can start feeding on newly hatched brine shrimp right away. The batch that is coming up with only receive brine, because I am totaly new to raising rotifers.

There is definitely a learning curve to all this, and Im sure I will have many failures but I'll try and document everything. With any luck and a lot of research I will have some baby clowns in the future!

Phytoplankton > Rotifers > Clowns

That's the food chain. I started my phytoplankton culture last night with the following:

*DTs phytoplankton

*Miracle Grow

*1.75 liter glass bottle bottle

*Air pump

*Air line tubing

*Clamp on lamp

*Energy efficient daylight bulb

*Timer for light

*Bucket

I'm not too sure about the Miracle Grow, or the DT's for that matter. I have been very unscientific about it all. This is probably going to be one of those failures I mentioned in my last post. :)

I only used about an once for the first culture (attempt).

gallery_136_128335.jpg

I have the light to give 16 hours of light and 8 hours of complete darkness.

gallery_136_123558.jpg

All the equipment.

gallery_136_247210.jpg

All inside:

gallery_136_144787.jpg

Is anyone else using Miracle Grow?