Andrew's Blog

ACampbell

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A large purple digitata was the first to RTN. The hydno is in a corner by itself. The corals affected are all throughout the tank.

I agree about the chemical warfare. I'm trying to decide if I should euthanize corals that are too far gone to prevent them from releasing even more chemicals. Thoughts?

Hey Andrew,

We are fighting the same thing. I pulled our hydnophora out of the main display and put in the 29. I also have been running carbon for the last month changeing it out every weekend. We starting to see healing. Lost a purple stag this weekend but the monits and the bird nest is healing! We are now fighting diatoms. Hang in there. . .

Thanks dapettit! The water change really seems to have slowed the recession.

These pics are the worse of the worst. This issue is very strange in that it is very hit and miss throughout the tank. Most of the others corals are showing no signs of stress and look better than ever.

Raise your hand if you have turned on your RO unit and then gone to bed forgetting it was on. After doing this 4 or 5 times I decided it was time to do something different! :doh:

Here is my solution on how I could rig a float switch in the trash can so I could avoid flooding the garage.

TopOff.jpg

There are numerous ways of achieving this. The easiest would have been to drill a hole in the side of the trash can, however I also use this can to preform water changes. I needed something that would be removable when I needed it to be. James and I discussed various alternatives such as PVC fixture, but in the end this design ended up working perfectly for me.

You can see that the far end is actually not perpendicular like in the diagram, but it turned out that it would not have worked that way. The float switch would have be touching the side wall giving it a higher risk factor for "sticking".

Many thanks to Craig Kimble for building this for me. :)

IMG_5798.jpg

IMG_5803.jpg

Well, my wife and I decided it was time for a change. We are wanting to move into a bigger house and start our family. To get the ball rolling we put the aquarium up for sale here and here. I'm sure you can relate to the stress of moving. Add to that the stress of moving a large tank and trying to coordinate it to all work perfectly, and that is more than we want.

Since moving a nano doesn't require a team of people, I decided to purchase a 34g Solana Cube to hold a few sps corals I want to keep. It should arrive at RCA tomorrow 6/6/08. I'm also getting a 1/15 chiller to keep it cool. I will post pics once I get it up and running this weekend.

Right now I am trying to decided if I want two Koralia nanos or one Tunze nano steam. I would love some input if you have any.

Hey everyone.

Aquarium arrived as expected. Here is a pic of all the hardware:

solanaBEGIN.jpg

After what seemed to be several hours with an allen wrench and a screwdriver I got it put together.

Will probably start to fill it up with the stuff I'm keeping very soon.

Got some good shots yesterday that I wanted to share.

Clam top down:

IMG_5935.jpg

Pink zoo macro:

IMG_5917.jpg

Urchin top down:

IMG_5938.jpg

Urchin macro:

urchinemacro1.jpg

Urchin macro 2, same shot. It is still resized a little smaller if you can believe it.

urchinemacro2.jpg

Thanks for any feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a frag of that yumma for you. Plus you need to see the solana anyway.

Whoa...really? Let me know whenever you have some free time and I'll visit. I have close to 50 zoa frags...I'll take a shot and see if there are any you would like to have, although sadly, none are as cool as your pink zippers.

Thanks, take care,

P