the jolt 1̶5̶0̶ 180

jolt

So with the needle valve on my calcium reactor closed, and the solenoid also closed the Ph has drifted down from 7.88 to 7.66

Should the Ph get lower even without C02 bubbles going in? I do have the manifold open to the reactor, the circulation pump on, and the effluent dripping about 60 drops per minute ....

From a direct experience, I have none to contribute to that observation as I've never run the reactor without CO2. It seems to make sense to me but I don't know why. [emoji12]
  • Like 1

Did you have any leveling required on your stand? My setup requires leveling on the back length (against wall) that is off by the thickness of credit card. Impossible to use shims and trying to get ideas on material to use to shim it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will require leveling a little bit, but I have not done it yet

Did you have any leveling required on your stand? My setup requires leveling on the back length (against wall) that is off by the thickness of credit card. Impossible to use shims and trying to get ideas on material to use to shim it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An old credit (or Randall's) card? Not trying to be a smart a$$. Randall's cards are free. If it's only a 30g, I don't think the compression on a small area in two corners would compress them that bad.

Ain't that the truth!

I'm thankful to be able to afford this hobby (and another expensive one - horses...my daughter also has a pony) so I can't complain too terribly much. Besides - the credit card points are good for something, right? Too bad BRS doesn't have a branded card like Lowes. Special financing offers etc. I'm pretty sure I WOULD be broke at that point. 

• Like 1

I turned on the CO2 and opened the needle valve on the frag tank CaRx a couple of days ago.  I measured 5ml per minute effluent rate and set around 3 seconds between bubbles.  Set the max and min at 7.70 and 7.65.  My alk consumption is pretty low.  The previous week I used .06 dkh.  It seems that the CaRx is keeping up with it at this point, but I could just be fooling myself.  This is what the behavior has been on the CaRx pH for the last few days.  If anyone spots concerns here PLEASE SPEAK UP, :) I'm a newb ...

Capture.PNG

5 mlm effluent rate is pretty slow.  I'm running 30 mlm.  Do you plan to increase later when the demand increases?

best thing ever for measuring mlm and calibrating dosers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006UKIAJW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006UKIASI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Yeah, I thought that was pretty slow, but you know how cautious I am.  I will crank everything up slowly as I get the feel for it.  

Those graduated beakers are very cool.  I'm getting one!  Will make me feel like a scientist at work!

I'm running about the same, 5 ml/min but bubble rate is around 1 bubble/sec, pH range at 6.4-6.5 dKh. My usage rate last I dared to measure was about 2.2 dKh/day.

Only thing I'd recommend is turning off the solenoid and try achieving the 7.65-7.7 pH range by just adjusting the needle valve. If you can get it dialed in without the solenoid, then that's perfect, as then you can use the solenoid as insurance instead of control. They have metal springs in them and all eventually wear down and fail. When using it actively as a control, mine would always fail between 1-2 years. While I bought a new regulator with a fancy Burket solenoid on it, I still employ the same method and only use the solenoid for insurance and not control.

• Like 1

I'm running about the same, 5 ml/min but bubble rate is around 1 bubble/sec, pH range at 6.4-6.5 dKh. My usage rate last I dared to measure was about 2.2 dKh/day.
Only thing I'd recommend is turning off the solenoid and try achieving the 7.65-7.7 pH range by just adjusting the needle valve. If you can get it dialed in without the solenoid, then that's perfect, as then you can use the solenoid as insurance instead of control. They have metal springs in them and all eventually wear down and fail. When using it actively as a control, mine would always fail between 1-2 years. While I bought a new regulator with a fancy Burket solenoid on it, I still employ the same method and only use the solenoid for insurance and not control.

Oops, helps if I had my units correct! I'm running 50 ml/min, not 5 ml/min.

Dang, I was thinking that was some concentrated super sauce you were dripping into your tank Ty!

That's how my corals grow so much! I'm selling my first batches of FarmerTy's concentrated CaRX juice next week, only $99.99/ounce! Get it now and I'll waive the jarring fee! [emoji12]

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Fired up the return pump on the 180 today and there were no leaks in the plumbing :jump:  Still have some fine tuning to do on the bean animal stuff

CaRx on the frag tank is *almost* keeping up with demand at this point.  Alk drifted from 8.59 down to 8.26 over three days.  Lowered the Ph range to 7.45-7.4, dripping 30ml/min effluent.

Ok, for everyone except Jeff (hard to believe he's a fellow Bobcat), here is the tank wet and running the return pump, and if you look carefully you can see the hole I punched through the wall for the Radion power cords.  Did that today ...

IMG_2581.JPG

• Like 3