the jolt 1̶5̶0̶ 180

jolt

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great. Very clean.

That an algae turf scrubber on top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is. It's a Turbo's Aquatics L2. Thought I'd give that a try instead of biopellets ...

Looks great. Very clean.

That an algae turf scrubber on top?

Yes, it is. It's a Turbo's Aquatics L2. Thought I'd give that a try instead of biopellets ...

Very cool. I've been thinking about adding one as well. Let me know how it works out

So, I've pretty much decided to run a CaRx on the frag tank. 67 gallons + sump is the volume. Space is somewhat limited in the cabinet. I'm a CaRx newb, so some questions for you experienced folks:

1) Do you think a 5lb bottle would last 6 months on an SPS heavy frag tank this size?

2) I like this GEO's small reactor, but it's set up for a regulator I am not familiar with: the carbon doser ... Anyone familiar with that regulator and have feedback positive/negative???

3) Another unit that might fit my situation is this reef octopus. Anyone used this one or similar reef octopus? Feedback??

Reviews are sparse on (2) and (3) on google. (1) seems to get pretty good reviews, but I am unsure about a constantly cycling solenoid controlling the bubbles versus a needle valve

So, I've pretty much decided to run a CaRx on the frag tank. 67 gallons + sump is the volume. Space is somewhat limited in the cabinet. I'm a CaRx newb, so some questions for you experienced folks:

1) Do you think a 5lb bottle would last 6 months on an SPS heavy frag tank this size? Yes, I like the idea of two 5lb bottles over one 10lb bottle.

2) I like this GEO's small reactor, but it's set up for a regulator I am not familiar with: the carbon doser ... Anyone familiar with that regulator and have feedback positive/negative??? Great set and forget regulator/solenoid. Super precise and stable. Only cons are audible digital clicking noise with each bubble release and its a single stage regulator.

3) Another unit that might fit my situation is this reef octopus. Anyone used this one or similar reef octopus? Feedback?? Never used it. May want to ask gig'em as he runs a Reef octopus CaRX, though a larger model.

Reviews are sparse on (2) and (3) on google. (1) seems to get pretty good reviews, but I am unsure about a constantly cycling solenoid controlling the bubbles versus a needle valve

• Like 1

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks like a new drill. Did you make a mini Viking funeral pyre and light the old one on fire and push it out into the middle of the pool. Or did the Smithsonian take it as a fine example as the very first battery operated drill ever produced. :)

• Like 1

I'm running a Reef Octopus and it's been a great CaRX. High build quality, and easy access. I'm running the carbon doser as well and love it. Definitely worth the money. With respect to the 5lb bottle, if you can fit the 10, get it. I switched to a 20lb bottle and love it. The bigger bottles hold a higher pressure longer so it stay more consistent on the regulator. As the PSI starts falling when the bottle nears empty, you have to fudge around with the regulator pressure. Bigger is better. I have the 20 + 2x 5lbs. I may sell one of the 5's and keep the 2nd just to have a spare when filling the 20.

• Like 1

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks like a new drill. Did you make a mini Viking funeral pyre and light the old one on fire and push it out into the middle of the pool. Or did the Smithsonian take it as a fine example as the very first battery operated drill ever produced. smile.png

You're confused. That drill in the picture is at least a year old, and you just failed to notice it when you brought your cadillac cordless with all the bells and whistles drill over to my place. I actually had mine out and ready to go and you laughed at it cause it did not have a headlight and GPS laser guided positioning for the bit with computer controlled gyros to keep it steady. My other drill is 30 years old. They did not sell cordless at that time as far as I recall. I keep it because its awesome.

• Like 3

1) Do you think a 5lb bottle would last 6 months on an SPS heavy frag tank this size?

2) I like this GEO's small reactor, but it's set up for a regulator I am not familiar with: the carbon doser ... Anyone familiar with that regulator and have feedback positive/negative???

3) Another unit that might fit my situation is this reef octopus. Anyone used this one or similar reef octopus? Feedback??

I have the geo 6x18 and with the elos media it lasted about 4 months, I love the planted aquaria Carbon doser regulator that is worth every penny!

• Like 2

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks like a new drill. Did you make a mini Viking funeral pyre and light the old one on fire and push it out into the middle of the pool. Or did the Smithsonian take it as a fine example as the very first battery operated drill ever produced. :)

You're confused. That drill in the picture is at least a year old, and you just failed to notice it when you brought your cadillac cordless with all the bells and whistles drill over to my place. I actually had mine out and ready to go and you laughed at it cause it did not have a headlight and GPS laser guided positioning for the bit with computer controlled gyros to keep it steady. My other drill is 30 years old. They did not sell cordless at that time as far as I recall. I keep it because its awesome.

That is potentially true.... :)

• Like 1

following your build. It looks nice!

Thanks! The frag tank build discussion is a smoke screen to hide the fact that I've been waiting over a year for my Reef Savvy 180 to be delivered :(

following your build. It looks nice!

Thanks! The frag tank build discussion is a smoke screen to hide the fact that I've been waiting over a year for my Reef Savvy 180 to be delivered :(

Man!

Reef Savvy makes beautiful tanks. I like the dimensions of my 125. I just want it to be 24 inches wide instead of 18. You've been waiting over a year? That's crazy.

• Like 1

My weekly update. This build is going sooooo slow, but I try to make some progress every weekend.

Pulled everything from the cabinet and put some pvc liner on the bottom, it was a good test to see if all the pvc unions would allow disassembly (and it worked!)

post-3460-0-17373700-1471258698_thumb.jp

Then put it all back together + got the cable trays and Apex installed and running ...

post-3460-0-36315300-1471258716_thumb.jp
  • Like 3