the jolt 1̶5̶0̶ 180

jolt

3 hours ago, jolt said:

PSA for today:

When you decide to pressure test your new manifold for your new build, triple check that all the valves are closed.  Even when you KNOW they are closed.  And have plenty of towels nearby.

images.jpg

DOH!!!

• Like 1

On 3/26/2017 at 2:15 PM, jolt said:

PSA for today:

When you decide to pressure test your new manifold for your new build, triple check that all the valves are closed.  Even when you KNOW they are closed.  And have plenty of towels nearby.

images.jpg

lol

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since the only activity was waiting for the cycle to complete, which it has.  

To get things going, I dosed Dr Tims bacteria and ammonia a month or so ago.  We are now fully in the UGLY stage.  

I added this cleanup crew yesterday:

IMG_2656.JPG

And these guys went into my quarantine yesterday (7 dispar anthias)

IMG_2658.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Added a few fish last week, purchased from Nuxx since he was taking down his system....  Sorry, its a crappy cell phone pic  

• Bandit Angel
  • Gem Tang
  • Yellow Tangs
  • Clown

Tangs are tolerating each other since they've been in Nuxx's tank for a long time together.  Everyone is ich-free and eating well, so now I have to be super careful adding anything new to the tank.  Nuxx tells me the Angel is not a coral nipper, but time will tell :|

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 3

Added a few fish last week, purchased from Nuxx since he was taking down his system....  Sorry, its a crappy cell phone pic  
  • Bandit Angel
  • Gem Tang
  • Yellow Tangs
  • Clown
Tangs are tolerating each other since they've been in Nuxx's tank for a long time together.  Everyone is ich-free and eating well, so now I have to be super careful adding anything new to the tank.  Nuxx tells me the Angel is not a coral nipper, but time will tell [emoji52]
FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.65f7ccc1424eef55a92a444cf82c9232.jpg

If that bandit nips... Give me a call Jolt. [emoji6]
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Reeflogic said:

It's really awesome to see so many epic systems in Austin!  I can't wait to see them all, lol!  Someday, hopefully, I will join the Reef Savvy club.  Very nice build! :) 

Thanks for the kind words. There really are some great builds in town!

• Like 1

This guy wants to be King of The Tank.  He's almost as big as my spread-out hand, but whenever he starts getting too full of himself the bandit puts him in his place ...  

The yellow tangs always know where he is though!  :P

IMG_2724.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update:

- battling dinos in the frag tank :(

- moved from brown algae to green slime in the display tank, hate the algae phases but I guess that is part of the hobby

- got the Calcium Reactor running in the display tank (Ph probe has been calibrated and added since this photo)

IMG_2742.JPG

2 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Hopefully the dinos and algae will be short lived! All growing pains of a new tank for sure. Calcium reactor set up looks good! Can't wait to see some serious coral growth!

Thanks, I really like that regulator, it's one of those refurbished commercial grade stainless steel units.  I hope to start adding coral soon, tank is almost 4 months old now, but that dry fiji rock really takes a while to settle in.  Right now nitrates are 0.0 and phosphate is about 0.08, so I've been slowly dosing nitrogen.  I'm going slow because I'm afraid I'll get green water like I did with the frag tank!  I'm shooting for 5 ppm nitrate and 0.05 ppm phosphate before I add coral.  Hoping to get the phosphates in line using water changes.  But, I'm really surprised that nitrate is still at zero with the way I feed those fish, they are not little.

I'm sure all dead rock is a little different, but the dry rock I bought used to leach PO4 for the longest time. It got to the point that I tore the tank down and soaked all my original dry rock in muriatic acid and soaked it in RO water. It seemed to do the trick and I don't have any PO4 issues anymore. Hopefully yours won't be as persistent in leaching like mine was to require an acid bath. Are you running biopellets or dosing carbon to cause the NO3 to be so low?