the jolt 1̶5̶0̶ 180

jolt

12 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

I'm sure all dead rock is a little different, but the dry rock I bought used to leach PO4 for the longest time. It got to the point that I tore the tank down and soaked all my original dry rock in muriatic acid and soaked it in RO water. It seemed to do the trick and I don't have any PO4 issues anymore. Hopefully yours won't be as persistent in leaching like mine was to require an acid bath. Are you running biopellets or dosing carbon to cause the NO3 to be so low?

I ran the rock in a saltwater 40b in the dark with a skimmer for 6 months before I set up the tank, and then let it dry our for aquascaping.  So far the phosphate has been stable since early june, just a tad high.  I'm not running anything except a skimmer and about 1.5 cups of carbon right now.  I started dosing Seachem Flourish Nitrogen 3 days ago at a rate of 18ml per day, measuring each day, and still sitting at zero.

1 hour ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Are you running GFO to control and remove PO4 from the water? How much NO3 are you dosing with the Seachem?

No GFO, just gonna do water changes.  Dosing 18ml per day of Seachem nitrogen per day for the last three days (very slow dose, measuring nitrate every other day to see how it goes).  These are their directions.  Essentially I am targeting <0.40 mg/L per day raise  (their example is for a 20 gallon tank, I have a 180+sump, and I am dosing 18X their example)

To target a specific nitrogen increase, dose according to the following formula: 0.25vn=m, where v= volume of tank in gallons, n=desired nitrogen increase (if using a “nitrate equivalent” value for “n” then use a factor of 0.05 instead of 0.25 in the formula) and m=volume of product to use in mL. For example to raise 20 gallons by 0.20 mg/L nitrogen you would use: 0.25*20*0.20=1 mL.

What is your NO3 goal? I know a lot of people these days aim for about 5 ppm NO3. So if your tank is 180 gallons and let's conservatively estimate your entire volume is 200 gallons and you want to raise it to 4 ppm, then you would want to dose 200 mL of Seachem. [0.25vn=m => 0.25(200)(4)= 200 mL] If you want to space that out over a week, then 29 mL a day (200 mL/7=28.6 mL).

That's just based on their estimate of how to raise levels to a desired concentration. You also have to take into account biological load and consumption of that NO3 over time. You have to meet 100% of the bacterial and plant consumption requirements before you'll have excess NO3 available in the water. If you have a large bacterial bioload in your tank, lots of porous rock and sand or any Marinepure biomedia, then you may have to increase your dosage to see any increase in the water.

My soil microbiology professor in college told us when you fertilize your plants, you're feeding the microbes first and whatever they don't consume is what is left for your plants. I dose 250 mL a week of KNO3 in my tank to keep levels above 2 ppm and my tank is only 120 gallons.

13 hours ago, Reburn said:

For the record. I dose 28 ml weekly.

0.05 x V x ppm=ml 

So 28ml/week for a 100 gallon tank.  I know they list two factors in the directions: 0.25, or nitrate equivalent 0.05     I see you are using 'nitrate equivalent'.  Can you explain the difference?  

BTW, I've been dosing about 12ml/week on my frag tank and it's hovering around 2.5 nitrates in there so I'm bumping it up to 16ml/week.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jolt said:

So 28ml/week for a 100 gallon tank.  I know they list two factors in the directions: 0.25, or nitrate equivalent 0.05     I see you are using 'nitrate equivalent'.  Can you explain the difference?  

BTW, I've been dosing about 12ml/week on my frag tank and it's hovering around 2.5 nitrates in there so I'm bumping it up to 16ml/week.

28ml in a 160g tank 3.5ppm weekly.  I can't explain the difference.  I just started with the lower formula to be safe.  It seemed to take forever to start climbing then as it did I had to slow way down after the tank reached the saturation point if you will.  It's been a bear balancing the n03 input to the p04 input.  My p04 still shows 0.  I've come to accept that.  It's in the water and being used.  I'm currently dosing 0.03 p04 weekly.

1 hour ago, Reburn said:

28ml in a 160g tank 3.5ppm weekly.  I can't explain the difference.  I just started with the lower formula to be safe.  It seemed to take forever to start climbing then as it did I had to slow way down after the tank reached the saturation point if you will.  It's been a bear balancing the n03 input to the p04 input.  My p04 still shows 0.  I've come to accept that.  It's in the water and being used.  I'm currently dosing 0.03 p04 weekly.

What are you dosing exactly at 28 mL a week that raises your NO3 concentration to 3.5ppm? The concentration of solution will obviously determine the volume to dose to reach a desired NO3 level in the tank. I could say I dose 1 L a day to keep my NO3 above 4 ppm and people would be bombing their tanks with other solutions because they don't know I mix my own solution at home with a super diluted recipe :escapefan:

Reburn's dosing the same Seachem product I am using, using their formula with the optional 'nitrate equivalent' factor of 0.05

Based on your previous comments above,  I already came to the conclusion this product is more concentrated than what you use

FWIW I measured 0ppm yesterday evening and then dosed 30ml and will measure again tonight.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG