Dan and Meg's 240 Gallon Long

Dan H

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much to do mine?

I used the Mighty Magnet kit about a year ago to clean my front panel after using a too aggressive of a pad. Was a PITA...

Now after using Magic Erasers, standard Mighty Magnet pads and the Kent plastic blade I have scratches everywhere. You can only see them with a flashlight though.

Now after years I'm just using Mighty Magnet's Cutter Bag on top of their standard pad. It is by far the best thing I've done to the tank. Gets the hard to get off brownish algae, all the film and most of the coralline... amazing... cuts my cleaning time down by 3 to 4 times.

You should look into it :)

$1,000,000 (in Dr. Evil voice)

I'm going to look into the mighty magnet. The brown stuff is what kills me. The magfloat can't get it very well and neither does the Kent scraper. The flipper magnet is great on coralline but terrible on everything else.

One would think you could build a buffer out of a super high powered pump pushing saltwater and a rotating deflector of some sort.

Or maybe a water proof air bubbler that you attach the sand paper to and let the vibrations polish the acrylic for you.

They have air powered tools you can use in tank underwater but they are probably really expensive. Honestly other than taking a long time and effort, it wasn't that bad. Plus doing that once in a while to get a nearly brand new looking panel is totally worth it.

They have air powered tools you can use in tank underwater but they are probably really expensive. Honestly other than taking a long time and effort, it wasn't that bad. Plus doing that once in a while to get a nearly brand new looking panel is totally worth it.

Now that your arm is all warmed up, let's get some of that elbow grease on my glass panel. We're going to have to go up in grit size and possibly diamond tipped. I have faith in you.

Well at CaribSea prices that would be a million pounds of sand for a million dollars worth of sand at a retail price of a 20lb bag for $20.

So 1m pounds of sand into 2 ton pallets is 250 pallets at 13.33sq' a pallet is about 3,333sq' worth of pallets.

So a bunch of sand :)

Basically a 4' deep sand bed in your entire house. Oh no I mentioned a DSB!!!!!!

Math is fun :D

Didn't Timfish try to do an in-tank glass polishing method?

You're using my name in vain again! How do I do an unlike vote? I made Dan promise not to tell anyone who gave him the 5000 and 9000 grit sandpaper!

Didn't Timfish try to do an in-tank glass polishing method?

You're using my name in vain again! How do I do an unlike vote? I made Dan promise not to tell anyone who gave him the 5000 and 9000 grit sandpaper!

I knew it! Busted! [emoji14]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived