Dan and Meg's 240 Gallon Long

Dan H

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So at 75% intensity I am now getting easily into the 300's at the top of the live rock... Just what I was hoping for. So not the question is how much heat will be generated.

6df0113bc7a89719bef46eeb43153c5a.jpg90bad51547bbc1939b443d6dc503b79e.jpg80ab127ce5dd7cc945cbe52595182eb5.jpg036a0ad13035436d12038c0ae44e9f60.jpg7f95fa5c5c2372d053dc27574322ba0d.jpg42c929f4825f38ca6f42d027aa7e531b.jpg

Just a quick lesson to learn from my mistake... So I mounted the Kessils using a 2" 10-32 threaded bolt. What I didn't realize is that I screwed the bolt in too far, and it was pushing against the cooling fan, preventing it from running. My Kessils kept overheating and shutting off after only a few minutes of being turned on. I was really starting to get frustrated and couldn't figure out what was going on... So after quite a few attempts at checking the wiring, and other things, I started taking down each light, taking them apart, and cleaning them very well. When I got the 5th one torn apart, I noticed the fan had some circular scuff marks on it dead center. That's when I realized that it was the bolt sticking in too far. UGH! There goes a half day of troubleshooting.

In other news, because of this, I checked every light and 1 of them does have a dead fan. I've contacted Kessil to see if they can get me a new one, otherwise it looks to be just a simple computer fan, so I may end up just buying one on Amazon to replace it.

• 3 weeks later...

Lol! In due time you most definitely will!

a12d8cde7264bc5f91cb9cbe4541d936.jpgGoing to strive for a look like this. Is it that "full" looking bc of a lot of LR or is that all corals?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A tip for any of you dealing with higher temp issues. So with the addition of the 4x Kessils and with the increased humidity and temp lately, my tank was starting to approach upper temps that although weren't concerning, I felt like it was more than I wanted. So, to help reduce the temp, I bought 4x 80mm PC cooling fans and a small 12V DC adapter. I cut 4x 3" holes in the top of the canopy, and installed the fans to blow straight down on to the water. The fans are set to turn on when the temp goes over 80.7. My temp is almost flat now and doesn't even vary by 1 degree. Even when the AC is programmed to let the house get up to 79 when nobody is home. I'm impressed.

Of note, this did increase the evaporation so I had to make sure the ATO is set up to handle that.

post-3872-0-51122100-1464918029_thumb.jp

Well each fan is 25CFM so adding 100CFM is a pretty decent increase. Plus I mounted the fans very close to the Kessils so it should help cool the lights as well.

• 1 month later...

Cool! Was looking in the tank tonight and found a new starfish. Not sure if he was hitchhiker in the LR or what but somehow we have never seen him till tonight.

422fe12e350a255fa4fa6b19e3519698.jpg

In other news, we are on the hunt for 2-3 new fish. Preferably less common or very pretty. We're all wrassed out, and don't really want to risk anything not reasonably reef safe. Ideas are welcomed.

Also, we're on the hunt for someone that might be QTing some fish and would be willing to take on QTing ours. Compensation can be arranged.

Cool! Was looking in the tank tonight and found a new starfish. Not sure if he was hitchhiker in the LR or what but somehow we have never seen him till tonight.

422fe12e350a255fa4fa6b19e3519698.jpg

In other news, we are on the hunt for 2-3 new fish. Preferably less common or very pretty. We're all wrassed out, and don't really want to risk anything not reasonably reef safe. Ideas are welcomed.

Also, we're on the hunt for someone that might be QTing some fish and would be willing to take on QTing ours. Compensation can be arranged.

Nice, that starfish has a similar body style to my blue linkia I have.

I don't even want to QT my own fish anymore at this point!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived