Dan and Meg's 240 Gallon Long

Dan H

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed! Have no idea where she came from. wink.png

She and the coral beauty were not getting along, so we temporarily banished the coral beauty to the sump. Hopefully those 2 will behave because we really want to keep both.

You're welcome Dan! whistle.gif

Your loss is my gain? :)

So far so good on the Potters. I'm keeping a watchful eye on her to make sure it's not going to eat any corals. She's definitely picking away at the live rock all over the place. Interestingly, she's very curious about us. When I put my hand up to the tank, she becomes curious and does a little dance. It's kinda fun to watch. We're gonna keep the Coral Beauty in the time-out sump for a week then see if they can get along better. We really don't want to have to get rid of her, she's too pretty.

The Labouti doesn't typically go after the bristle worms, but the opportunity presented itself and he's definitely not one to pass up a free meal.

Now I just need to catch a few more of the Chromis. Speaking of which, anyone want a free Chromis? We got 1 so far, but the other 3 are scared of the fish trap. I'm starting to think we might not be able to catch the rest of them very easily.

In light of the new found wrasse eating bristle worms discovery... While cleaning my skimmer pump tonight, I came across a bristle worm that was in the pump. So I got it out using a toothpick and decided to see if the Labouti would eat it again. I plunked the worm in, and this time, the Scotts Wrasse ate it! Ha!

Doh! I was lazy and didn't check the magnesium for a few days, and if course it dropped fast down to 1280. My tort was very unhappy and developed some RTN. Looks like he will need to be fragged to be saved. Bummer.

7d8bf21dae7d46f80578453ea8a9827f.jpg

Not with the tort, but with other SPS... Which our tri-color valida is showing some stress similar to previous low mag situations.

Some things worthy of note... This past weekend I did add more media to the calcium reactor but not neomag. Also our alk is at around 9 dKh so low mag with high alk is probably the blame.

I'm not saying the mag is the definite cause, but it's suspect. The tort was getting pretty close to our undata but they have battled before and it never was more than a minor flesh wound, not this major tissue death.

I've never heard of the high alk, low Mg issue. Is that something that is pretty common? I've never really kept high alk so I've never witnessed it.

I always suspect everything... you know the life of an acroholic. [emoji53]

I always superglue any edge that is RTN'ing. If the offending condition was just temporary, then it'll save it from going that much further. If the offending condition is still there, then it'll usually continue right past the super glue.

I did the ole frag off the good branches... That way I hedge my bet with multiple frags... I'll keep y'all up to date with the results. If they both survive then I have a tort frag to sell later. :)

Well, both of the frags survived overnight. Usually with RTN that's a pretty good sign. We'll see if they survive the daylight.

Hey if my babbling on happens to help serve as a reminder, that's fantastic!

Upper 1200's isn't super low but mine swung from low 1400's to 1280 in 3 days... Like I mentioned, I'm not certain this was the cause, but I've definitely noticed my system prefers high mag levels and I get complaints whenever it's below 1300.

I'm not a chemist, but wouldn't a big swing in mag create some kind of corresponding calcium swing? i.e., the MG is used to help keep higher levels of CA, so a drop in MG would lead to a drop in CA ???

Archived