Manny's 75G Upgrade

Manny

Question for you guys. I know a lot of you had been having issues with not being able to keep phosphates in your tank to the point where you needed to dose phosphates. Well I don't run an ultra low phosphate system like biopellets or what not but I was simply too aggressive with my GFO use. Well I turned my GFO off for a month and went skimmerless for 2 months. I was trying to keep my phosphates at .05 ppm and accidently let it rise to .09 ppm. My question is if this is far too high and if so do I need to do something asap? I am assuming it shouldn't be too bad and I should just let the GFO and skimmer bring it down in time but I wanted to get other peoples opinion on it.

• 1 month later...

Excuses, excuses.

Ahh come on man! Lame!

What a shame! I so let you guys down by not posting yesterday. Or did I add to the anxiousness of Dustin by making wait an extra day?

So October 31st of 2013 I went to our ONLY LFS, and Jonathan's (Bpb) favorite, Petco. There I picked up my first fish after seeing that my tank had finished cycling. That first fish was an ocellaris clownfish. Well that fish survived for 2 weeks then slowly died on me. To this day, I still do not know how I managed to kill that fish. Either way one week later I went to to the Fish Gallery in Houston and picked up a couple of frags. That is when I had officially become addicted to coral. A few months later and when I felt that I had gained some good knowledge on the topic, I went ahead and decided to dump my 29 gallon and upgrade to a 75 gallon. That is where I am at now. Again, here is a link to where it all started http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/29655-29g-basic-setup/ .

I have not seen a tremendous amount of growth throughout the first year and I do believe that my tank was still going through many mini cycles throughout the year. I have begun to see coral growth recently and think that year number two will bring about a ton more growth. I'm not complaining though. I haven't really had much trouble with my tank. The worst thing that has happened to date was a 6 week dinoflagellate outbreak but even at that, I'm not sure if I can even call that an outbreak. It was never too severe. I lost all my cerith and nausarius snails and I had two birdsnests affected but the birdsnests are recovering. So all in all, not too bad.

Now to the pictures:

Before IMG_0388_zps09c44b77.jpg

After IMG_0664_zps0919fd4f.jpg Gotta love the gaping mouth of the Royal Gramma in the back.

Before IMG_0386_zps0a2d0bdb.jpg

After IMG_0663_zps120a4f2a.jpg

The rest of these I won't do before and after pictures

IMG_0695_zps86ef21a9.jpg IMG_0713_zps69df84fb.jpg

IMG_0729_zps4c5fa5a5.jpg IMG_0711_zpse352f1b8.jpgIMG_0725_zps46481a37.jpg Hard to see this guy but I came home a week ago and my wife had bought me this tuxedo urchin. IMG_0723_zps3622ec49.jpgIMG_0698_zpsb14b3586.jpg

I thought this tricolor valida was dead so when it fell behind my rock work I allowed it to stay there. A few weeks later I saw its green polyps so I pulled it out and now I see it is nicely recovering. IMG_0693_zps057e5caf.jpg

IMG_0683_zps0863f588.jpgIMG_0681_zps6a79cea9.jpgIMG_0679_zpsc3701e90.jpgIMG_0680_zps60bd6ca7.jpg

My recovering screaming green birdsnest IMG_0678_zps17bd15fd.jpg Pink Stylo

IMG_0677_zps1966b98e.jpg

Rainbow Stylo

IMG_0690_zpsb755c31a.jpg

Cheesecake Acro

IMG_0689_zps5e49b808.jpg

Mint Julep

IMG_0688_zps0e297381.jpg

The following 3 are strawberry shortcake acro, red dragon tail something, and a rainbow nasuta but I cannot tell the difference so hopefully someone will help ID them:

IMG_0684_zps501943bb.jpgIMG_0687_zps204e3b65.jpgIMG_0668_zps68e1558e.jpg

Top down view of some of these frags

IMG_0703_zps8d96faa7.jpgIMG_0701_zps633661bd.jpg

+1 looks awesome. Having seen this tank in person, it doesn't look quite so purple in real life. Either way. Good stuff.

I think year two will smoke year 1 as far as growth, provided you don't do something like move the tank, or do any major changes like new lighting or replacing a substantial amount of rock or sand.