Manny's 75G Upgrade

Manny

Seems like everything is coming together nicely and I have much of the needed equipment so I said to myself, it's time to start your new tank build thread. I hope to guide you guys along every step that I take and share with you the excitement of upgrading to a bigger better aquarium.

First off, what am I leaving behind? Well, I have a very basic 29 gallon setup with only the required minimum components. You can see the build thread here, http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/29655-29g-basic-setup/ . All in all, I think I have payed enough attention, did enough maintenance, changed my mindset when I realized I was wrong, and most importantly, listened to other's experience to have been able to keep a fairly successful tank for the last 5 months. I definitely owe a lot of thanks to Jonathan (Bpb) for all the mentoring he has given me. I know I am by no means a reef guru yet but I feel confident enough that I am in the hobby for the long run that I decided to spend the money and buy an upgrade. So without further due, here is what I am now getting into:

• 75 Gallon Oceanic Tank w/internal overflow with with Oceanic Stand and Canopy (courtesy of Niko's Reef) 48x18x24
  • Swapped the smaller Oceanic sump for a basic 20 gallon long with baffles
  • EuroReef CS6-2+ Protein Skimmer Rated for 125gallons
  • 8 wavepoint T-5's all different colors
  • Mag 7 return pump
  • JBJ ATO w/aqua lifter pump. Bought a back up pump as well
  • BRS Dual Media Reactor for use with carbon and GFO
  • 15 more lbs of pukani dry rock, 2 tonga branches, 2 tonga flat plates (going to glue sps here)
  • Got a TDS meter for my RO/DI unit
  • 40lbs of arag-alive special grade

Things that will be transferring over will be about 30lbs of fiji premium rock, a bunch of DIY rock, wp25, ebay 800gph powerhead, cobalt neo-therm heater, 40lbs of sand, and of course all the livestock.

The tank will be delivered here this Friday. Unfortunately I will not be setting it up that same day. The stand needs a new paint job before it comes into my living room so first thing I will do is give that thing a new paint job. I am rinsing the dry rock in salt water right now and will leave it in there for probably a total of two weeks. I think I will do a slow transfer from my 29 gallon over to the 75 gallon. I followed JeeperTy's thread and might try and mimic the way he did his. The first thing I need to get into the new tank is going to be the sand. I want the new stuff to be the top layer so the sand has to go first. After that, I will some of my live rock along with all the new dry rock. Then of course, over a few weeks, the fish will all then go into the new aquarium. My 29 gallon will be used a a QT until all my fish purchases are done. After that, the wife wants me to buy her a dwarf lionfish and a trigger fish so she will probably be getting those guys into the 29 gallon. I will attach some pictures so you can see what all i have so far and take a look at the tank. I will keep you guys posted. Enjoy!

msg-2511-0-47919500-1391222160_thumb_zps

msg-2511-0-18315700-1391221802_thumb_zps

WP_20140129_009_zps84557621.jpg

msg-2511-0-07088200-1391221927_thumb_zps

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the shout out. Lol I just regurgitate most the solid advice I get from the fine folks on here and what I've sifted through the jerks on reef central ha ha. Excited to see this come together. I'll have some sps on hand as soon as you're ready!

Totally stoked. I just had my tank delivered today! I already started sanding the furniture and should be staining it tomorrow if the weather permits. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Ok so I have been sanding all day. I started staining the stand but not liking the color so I might be giving it a whole new paint job tomorrow. I will post pics later.

Well the weather has not been favorable and I got tired of waiting. So what did I do? I waited for the wife to fall asleep and I brought the stand into the kitchen, pulled an all nighter, and finished painting the son of a gun. We tried two different stains and did not like the color so I decided to just paint it all black. I like this much better now. I set it up in the living room and have slowly started filling it up. I took all my dry rock and aquascaped that. I found a design I liked. I then put in my new sand and started filling with water. I did not do the entire aquascape because I don't want to keep the live rock from my current system out of the water for too long. I will be using the same scape from my current setup so once it's ready, aquascaping the rest will be easy.

I took advantage of the stairwell behind the tank. I can use this to get into the tank a lot easier and have been filing it with water from the stairs. I take a 5 gallon bucket, create a siphon with a hose, and let it drain into the tank while I enjoy a tv show or what not. Anyhow, here are the pictures. Enjoy:

IMG_0460_zpscfad3d03.jpg IMG_0461_zps8d1eced7.jpg

IMG_0462_zps737fce68.jpg

IMG_0463_zps3a799229.jpg

IMG_0464_zps9ea2a93f.jpg

IMG_0465_zps037e4bd0.jpg

IMG_0466_zpsef744fb3.jpg

Again Photo Bomb IMG_0467_zpsb5326546.jpg

IMG_0468_zps5f6ec5d2.jpg

IMG_0469_zpsa369f327.jpg

IMG_0471_zpsb8586adb.jpg IMG_0472_zpsd605029c.jpg

I always have a little helper too :) I like the black, and what a great idea about using the stairs for water changes! What'd your wife say when she got up?

Ha no new words for my little man. He didn't see much frustration being that Tue only frustration was not being able to work on the stand. But anytime I worked in it, he was there helping me. He made it to about 2am before he gave out and I had it finished by the time he woke up.

I like the black too. I'm a bit concerned about the dwarf lion/ trigger combo though. Triggers are supposed to be bad about nipping lion fins. Maybe a fairly peaceful trigger like a blue throat? But I'm really not sure. I know I really like my dwarf fuzzy and loved my dwarf zebra. They have great personalities and are fun to watch.

Also, your little helper is ADORABLE!

I like the black too. I'm a bit concerned about the dwarf lion/ trigger combo though. Triggers are supposed to be bad about nipping lion fins. Maybe a fairly peaceful trigger like a blue throat? But I'm really not sure. I know I really like my dwarf fuzzy and loved my dwarf zebra. They have great personalities and are fun to watch.

Also, your little helper is ADORABLE!

Thank you! He is a great little helper but does get in the way alot. I don't mind. He means well. I think he will be a handy man when you he grows up. As far as the trigger and lionfish combo, I just heard about that yesterday. I don't mind not getting a trigger. I am more about a lionfish.

Can't wait to have my own kiddo. For now I just borrow other peoples'.

Have you decided which dwarf you want? The fuzzy seems to be the hardiest by most accounts if you can get them to eat. Mine took live for several weeks but refused frozen. I got him on frozen by pulling off the heads and sliding the krill over the ghost shrimp's head to make a double tailed wiggling shrimp snack. A few days later he was taking frozen like a champ. I'm sure it would work on the others as well. You might also look into ghost ribbon eels it you like the oddballs. I really like mine.

Definitely the fuzzy dwarf. It will actually be my wife's fish. She wants a predator tank. And about the kids, all in time my friend. I waited 4 years to have my first and we had our daughter at 6 years of marriage. They sure are a blessing. You get a particular feeling when the little man wants to be just like daddy. No better feeling then having him help me with the fish tank.

So things have been going well. I moved over half of my rock and added some food for 10 days while monitoring ammonia. I saw zero ammonia for those ten days so I decided to bring over my pair of clowns. I have been checking my ammonia every day since then and have come to the conclussion that the live bacteria on my old rock was enough to support the new tank as long as I stuck with the same bio load. A few days after I added my clowns, I brought over my royal gramma. Still everything was looking good so two days later I brought in my yellow and tomini tang. By then I had realized I would not be seing a cycle so I brought over my goby along with my last piece of rock and shut down my old tank. The wife was really nagging about seeing a near empty tank in the living room so I think that kind of influenced my decision to bring everything over all of a sudden. I brought most of my coral over when i transferred my clowns. I really don't have any coral that are super amazing or really hard to maintain so I was willing to take the risk. Everything still looks good and I have yet to see any signs of a cycle. There has been water in my aquarium for about 18 days now. I will take some pictures later this week when I am not so busy with school and update you guys on what this is looking like.

Archived