Manny's 75G Upgrade

Manny

I think that's where the mentor program El Jefe is starting on the club will come in handy. There were plenty of guiding hands when I first started... I was drowning in so much research and articles that just seeing someone's applications of those concepts and their own personal stories of trial and error helped clear up what was good/bad advice I found on the internet.

If your digitata, then I'm your regular aiptasia. Pesky, relentless, and like on this club, everybody is stuck with me and can't get rid of me. doh.gif

CTbwpyM.jpg

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C'mon GifMasterplus! You couldn't even do a simple text edit to write AipTysia-X on it? Sheer laziness man! Brian would have done it... and then slapped my ponytail face on the box as well. poke.gif

Man I can't get over the size of that torch. Sheesh. I can understand you contemplating getting rid of it because it could easily dominate 1/4 of your whole tank but that thing is spectacular. Wow. Video looks great man. I really am liking the new scape. Really hoping that your current sps start to take off

Man I can't get over the size of that torch. Sheesh. I can understand you contemplating getting rid of it because it could easily dominate 1/4 of your whole tank but that thing is spectacular. Wow. Video looks great man. I really am liking the new scape. Really hoping that your current sps start to take off

Thank you sir. Yes the torch is pretty big. Definitely my favorite piece in the tank. Its very unhappy right now. I have not been able to find a decent spit for it since the move. I had to turn down my flow because anywhere I put it the thing was getting blasted. So I initially went down to W1 setting on the wp25 ( on both ends). Now I am back at else mode one one wp25 and W1 on the other, with the else mode PH being pointed at a rock to slow things down a bit. The torch was starting to get some tissue damage due to the high flow. The current sps are all, with the exception of the rainbow Montipora, really starting to take off now with the having higher nutrients. I can actually see growth on the tips and great polyp extension. So of course I'm happy.

We'll I'll have more rainbow monti for you if yours dies. I have mine relatively high in the tank directly under the bulb and it's growing faster than anything else in the tank. I set it up top onto the rock work about 3 weeks ago, and it's already attatched and encrusted onto the rocks almost 1" in some spots where it's making contact. Really surprise at how fast it's growing. Maybe try it in higher light. How is the polyp extension on it

We'll I'll have more rainbow monti for you if yours dies. I have mine relatively high in the tank directly under the bulb and it's growing faster than anything else in the tank. I set it up top onto the rock work about 3 weeks ago, and it's already attatched and encrusted onto the rocks almost 1" in some spots where it's making contact. Really surprise at how fast it's growing. Maybe try it in higher light. How is the polyp extension on it

I was actually going to text you yesterday in regards to the position of yours in your tank. Mine in slightly under halfway up but it is directly under a thick center brace so maybe it does need more light. It has an awesome color but no polyp extension yet. It is far from dead though. I am now at %65 blue and 55% white with my lights. I believe that is more than enough light but I'll still move it to another location. By far the fastest growing coral in my tank right now is the meteor shower I bought from Victoly. It has doubled in size and already growing on my live rock. I believe its been less than a month since I got it as well.

You mean no more sticking my head in there while wearing goggles to get that "deep sea adventure"?

I could tell you, but you might not want to stick your hand in your tank ever again...

Just wanted to share with you all that I am very pleased with my tank. Everything seems to be going super well. I am getting good growth on the stuff that I have. I can't wait to see what this looks like around Christmas time.

A few pictures here to show some of the good things happening in my tank.

post-3476-140761015395_thumb.jpg

Cheesecake acro has finally started to encrust on its plug and released polyps. I am so anxious to see this one grow. In other peoples tanks, this is one of my favorites.

post-3476-14076102373_thumb.jpg my stuber stags look super happy and have awesome PE. Here is a close up of the same picture. post-3476-140761028085_thumb.jpg

post-3476-140761029525_thumb.jpg. You can see the growth on all tips of this birds of paradise. This is definitely one of the faster growing coral I have.

post-3476-140761033882_thumb.jpg this is a bad picture but this tricolor valida had very bad STN and a lot of the flesh had even fallen off. It has since fully recovered and released its polyps. Just waiting to start seeing some growth.

post-3476-140761040424_thumb.jpg and lastly, I thought this digi was dead. It was a bigger piece than this but I ended up cutting it and making a few frags. It is coloring back up nicely after about a month of looking dead. You can see its PE all around.

I am a happy reefer right now! [emoji38]

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying a new fish. I got myself a picasso clown. I had only an orange ocellaris. My black ocellaris died several months ago and I never replaced it. Interestingly enough, my clown took really well to the picasso for the first few hours and then starting reigning terror on it. The picasso started backing off and looked super stressed out, so stressed that I thought it was going to die. Well then it found its new safe haven: the anemone. My ocellaris never took to hosting in the anemone and honestly I had given up hopes of having a clown in the anemone. Well less than 24 hours after introducing the picasso, it was living in the anemone. This is where it would seek refuge if the original ocellaris would chase it. Funny thing is that the aggressor will NOT enter the anemone. Well I figured the aggressor would become the female of the two and the picasso the male. Now I am starting to doubt it. It's interesting to watch but the anemone really provided the picasso with some much needed courage to stand up to the bigger clown. It will still swim away a tad bit, just enough to get some space between them before it turns itself around and faces the aggressor head on. The aggressor sometimes will keep bullying but at times it will swim away. Now, if the aggressor comes near the anemone, thats a different story. The picasso will not be clowned (pun intended) in front of its anemone. It loses all fear and respect and will attack my first clown at all cost if it steps into its territory. I wonder how long it will be before they can finally get along. I also wonder if they will both end up living in the anemone or not. I am curious to see which one will establish itself as the dominant one now that tables are turning. The picasso is the smaller one but does seem to be establishing itself as no pushover.

I hope you guys can keep up with my referance of the established clown as either the aggressor or the first clown. I don't name the fish so it was kind of hard talking about them without a name since they are both ocellaris.

manny, sorry to hear that. I had a really similar situation in a tank up until a couple days ago. I had 2 picassos, the less dominant one would be hosted by the duncan and defend it just like yours would with the nem. I introduced an rbta in and immediately the dominant clown took to it and defended it, so a weird gangs of New York scenario insued, but the aggression was never alarming. Then 2 days ago the clown that was hosted by the Duncan just disappeared. Not in the sump, not on the floor, just gone. Im wondering if i had the same thing happen. I think your aggression issues arose from having an ocerllaris and a percula, but who knows. If I've learned anything, it's that clowns are weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad to hear Manny. I would think that the clown died first and just happened to be snatched up by the duncan. I'd imagine any healthy fish can get away from a duncan but I've heard of weirder things so maybe so.

Sent via Tapatalk

I wish I would have taken a picture of this earlier but I guess now is not a bad time. This is a brain coral I was given from a friend in hopes of it surviving in my tank. It had no color to it when I received it and has been peeling from the lower part of it. I did see a slight hint of green freckles on it so that gave me hope that it was still alive. This is what it looked like a few weeks ago. You can see it bubbling up and turning red.post-3476-140926494261_thumb.jpg. When I get home I will post and updated picture to show how much more color it now has. I have high hopes for it now.

I had forgotten to post the more recent picture of this brain so here it goes.

post-3476-140982654978_thumb.jpg

I don't get why I'm using my cell phone to shoot these pictures while I have a nice Canon DSLR waiting to get used by me.[emoji15]

Archived