Manny's 75G Upgrade

Manny

Yep I already have it running. I had almost forgotten how much I love these things. You could be right about the picture too. You're definitely more versed in the color spectrum than myself and your 420nm vs 470nm are both a glowing blue in my vocabulary. :/

I'm hoping to really get this QT running as a solid and permanent QT. I want it to be as stable as my DT though.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

qadaryqa.jpg

OK my people, take a good look at this for this is the last time you will ever see my tank this empty. I took this picture a few days ago and have acquired some frags and fish since then. It is officially stocking time!

OK glad it showed up Planedon. I will be sure to get you guys some pictures. Like I said, I am just trying to let the coral acclimate.

I know what everyone loves to see when they open up a tank build is pictures. All except TY but he's from a different breed of reefers:) I wanted to wait for all the sps to acclimate well in my tank and regain their color before I took any picture but then I decided that I would post them now, then again later when they regain their color. One thing to note is that my lights aren't very blue. You won't see the color of these coral pop out as if I had a deeper blue. Soon I will add 2 ATI blue plus so then hopefully that can have things looking better for me. These sps look white in the pictures but not as white in my aquarium. I know the names of most of these new pieces I got but unfortunately I cant seem to be able to tell the apart since I put them in. So I won't be naming all the names of the new coral I added. And as a safety precaution, all new sps are currently residing on the sandbed of my aquarium.

First two are pieces that were generously donated to me as a "tank warming" gift a few weeks ago.

This one is a stuber stag IMG_0565_zps142837f9.jpg Again it doesn't look this white inside my aquarium but I would like to get some more color to it with the addition of some ATI blues

This next piece was given to me as a cheesecake acro but is no longer believed to be such. IMG_0562_zps53a797f8.jpg Im really excited to see this one grow it. It's tiny right now but this was actually my first acro and was more of a trial piece to see how it would do in my tank. It was given to me about 2 weeks before the stuber stag.

After the stag I purchased 2 green chromis and put them in my QT. I cheated on the observation period. They looked really good in the QT and were eating like crazy so last night I went ahead and transferred them over to my DT.

I then bought a frag pack from Bpb. Again I apologize for the white color of the sps. It's my bulb combo. One of them I will not post a picture of. It was a birds of paradise but it turned completely white over night and retracted most of its polyps. I think it might have died but then again, it does still have some polyps. I will leave it in there for 2 weeks and if it doesn't improve, I will throw it out. Here are the other 4 pieces I got. IMG_0564_zps74c2ae4d.jpg IMG_0566_zps0f91e846.jpg IMG_0540_zps9be13887.jpg Pictured above a Cali tort, cheesecake acro, and a ORA tricolor valida. I can't think of the name of one of them so Bpb will have to give me a hand here.

Next I ran into a hobbyist who is getting out of the hobby. I drove out to his place in Magnolia and got a killer deal. First off, I was wearing a t-shirt with my hospital corpsman logo and he asked about being in the service. I told him that I had just gotten out 7 months ago after 6 years active duty. I started asking about some livestock and the first one I asked about was his flame hawkfish. He responded by saying I appreciate your service. That one is yours for free. Sweet! IMG_0590_zps53bfb6df.jpg The main fish I was interested in was his flame angel. I have been wanting that fish for a while now. $15. Score! IMG_0589_zps5653297f.jpg Hammer $10. This piece was super upset after I dipped it. It is coming back very nicely. It looked very puffy in his tank. Im sure it will puff up here very nicely. IMG_0559_zps31a17a2e.jpg Next I saw this colony of kryptonite. I asked how much he wanted for it. He stated $65. I didn't plan on spending more than $100 so I just kept browsing. He then asked for me to make him and offer and I just simply stated I really didn't want the piece. He then offered it for $20 and again I said to myself, score! IMG_0560_zps0f30761e.jpg O before I forget, I did also purchase a Hanna Checker for $20. Next we were looking at a 100+ branch pink birdsnest colony. $20!!! IMG_0531_zpsb58d4c3b.jpg As I was getting ready to leave he asked if I would be interested in his leptoseris. I looked at it and said ok. How much? He responded $5. IMG_0534_zps53127a6a.jpg I walked away with all that for $85. I like to think of this as a killer deal.

Next I will share some pictures of how my other things are coming along. My torch IMG_0543_zpsb8d931fd.jpg

Funny thing is this piece here broke off of my green montipora cap IMG_0538_zpsead2a576.jpg

Green birdsnest is expanding IMG_0542_zps238f4da7.jpg IMG_0544_zps6918286a.jpg IMG_0552_zpse91853f5.jpg IMG_0555_zps032eb463.jpg

O and here is a pic of all the sps on the sandbed. They are probably bleaching so they are going to remain here for a while until they color up. They have some nice polyp extension so that is definitely a good sign.

Where's my video Manny? Just kidding man. Tank is looking awesome! You'll get some great coloration once you switch those bulbs out. The sps look healthy though and that's all that matters. Great job!

Where's my video Manny? Just kidding man. Tank is looking awesome! You'll get some great coloration once you switch those bulbs out. The sps look healthy though and that's all that matters. Great job!

I thought about doing a video. I think I am going to hold off on that. I really don't want to upload another youtube video with my tank not looking great yet. I will keep stocking and until I feel it is up to youtube standards then I will make another one. For now photos will have to do.

That looks great! I love all the new additions and you got a heck of a deal. I'd say that was worth the drive!

I agree. It was very worth the drive. I believe this has been the best deal I have gotten so far. It was definitely worth the $85 plus two hour drive in a big V-8 at 15 mpg. :) Not complaining. My wife almost convinced me to buy this guys snowflake eel. She was literally begging me for it but I really would rather not lose my fire shrimp. Although the flame hawkfish is most definitely on my radar. I am constantly watching him and if he even thinks about darting at my fire shrimp, he is going into the QT and going to get rehomed. I would rather have my shrimp instead. I am glad that I had some territorial fish in my tank already before adding this guy. He is being kept in check by my bristletooth and I think is being kept very tame. The previous owner did tell me that it was a very passive fish in his tank and never bothered anything. He had hermits and snails and they didn't get bothered by the fish. I hope it stays this way in my tank. Thanks for visiting the official "Manny Fresh Tank Build". Come again.

• 2 weeks later...

So I couldn't deal with my current lights anymore. They are a true PITA. I am happy to announce that today I purchased a reef breeder photon 48.

Archived