Some cool finds while collecting in Port A (More pics added)

Chad and Belinda

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

holy moly. how many did you end up bringing home?

All of the ones in the pics are here now plus a few others that I had listed. I'll post the extras on ARC pretty soon.

that's pretty awesome. i've been looking for a reason to go to port A. of course, I have a small tank and can't take that many fish. but it'd even be fun to sit there and watch.

how do you acclimate them to your tank?

Just as the same as you would with anything you buy at the store. I just put them in ziplock bags with gulf water. Stabilize the temperature then add my tank water a little at a time while throwing out the gulf water.

Has anyone made successful collection during the winter without the Texas summer heat?

Is it always associated with the sargassum seaweed mats?

Winter collection isnt nearly as good as spring/summer. I've been down in all seasons, winter your lucky to walk with 20 peps or so. summer its 200-300 in an hour. Same with the other locations I visit

There is a lot of brown acro qround the jettys. I didn't get q chance to see it that dqy since I was too exhausted to keep holding my breath and diving under but a buddy I was with was explaining it to me. Matter of fact when we were in the grassy areas far away from the jettys Denas husband found a small piece of acro skeleton. I'll post a pic later.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

By the way, Sargasum is the yellow/ brown sea weed that washes on shore this time of year. Take a net then start wading around. Pick up these clumps of sargasum that are floating around and shake them over the net. After awhile, you will end up with anglers and filefish.

Here are some of the other ones that were collected.

One of two puffers we found in the grassy areas. The other one was twice this size. He went home with a buddy of mine who was other there with us.

Here is a wrasse. It is called a slippery d**k and no I am not making this name up. lol

attachicon.gifone slippery **** use this one.jpg

sargassum angler

attachicon.gifOne filefish.jpeg

Remember that collecting corals from the Gulf is not allowed. These are found everywhere, even along the jetty. Also saw a lot of SPS

attachicon.gifone sea whip.jpeg

sargassum angler

attachicon.gifone angler.jpeg

Just run your fingers through the sand when you are splashing around. Don't be surprised if you grab something else like I did. Lol

attachicon.gifone snail.jpeg

These large ones are caught along the grassy areas but also on the beach (when you get lucky like we did on this particular one).

attachicon.gifone large seahorse.jpeg

Also found in a lot of areas.

attachicon.gifone gargonian.jpeg

Sorry for this bad pic. He is a juvenile blue headed wrasse

attachicon.gifone blue headed juvenile wrasse.jpeg

Eventually he will look like this.

attachicon.gifone blue headed wrasse adult.jpg

What I had hopped to catch at the jetty but was unable to was the French Angel. The waves were too rough that morning which was our last day.

attachicon.gifone french angel.png

Keep in mind that the tropical fish die when the water get colder in the winter. The adults lay and fertilize their eggs in Mexico and the Caribbean. The eggs make their way here which is why the fish were see are small.

Below is a list of fish that you can find in the Port A area. They have either been seen or collected by a friend of mind. You can also find other tropical in other areas of the Texas Gulf.

Blue Angel (1-3 per year)

French Angel (30-100+ per year)

Foureye Butterflyfish (3 ever)

Doctorfish (1-3 year) (one year dozens)

Ocean Surgeonfish

Northern Searobin

Bighead Searobin

Emerald Sleeper

Southern Hake

Southern Stargazer

Bank Cusk-Eels

Skilletfish

Frillfin Goby

Least Puffer

Tripletail

Whitespotted Soapfish

Grey Triggerfish (common)

Planehead Filedish (1-2 per year)

Seagrass & Oyster Beds:

Cowfish (2 one year)

Leopard Searobin

Spotted Scorpionfish (common)

Belted Sandbass (common)

Tessellated Blenny (lots one year)

Misc other less interesting Blennies

Hairy Blenny (common)

Chromis (I thought he said purple) (1-6 most years)

Porkfish (1-6 per year)

Flame Cardinal (dozens to hundreds @ night)

Freckled Cardinal (1 ever, but may have mistaken for Flame Cardinal

:arrotfish (1-2 every other year) (common south padre jetties)

Jewelfish (Yellowtail Dansel) (1-3 most years)

Bicolor Dansel (2-dozens Some years)

Yellowtail Dansel)

Bicolor Dansel

Brown Chromis

Porkfish

Flame Cardinal

Freckled Cardinal

Spotted Scorpionfish

Belted Sandbass

Tessellated Blenny

I just wanted to say that I learned a mountain of information on this trip and have much more to go. Thanks Carl for teaching Belinda and I and for getting me to go into areas I would have never thought I would ever go into. I hear August and September are the best months. Can't wait to head back.

Are y'all going to go back in August/September? Count me in if you are. Where did you stay?

By the way, Sargasum is the yellow/ brown sea weed that washes on shore this time of year. Take a net then start wading around. Pick up these clumps of sargasum that are floating around and shake them over the net. After awhile, you will end up with anglers and filefish.

Here are some of the other ones that were collected.

One of two puffers we found in the grassy areas. The other one was twice this size. He went home with a buddy of mine who was other there with us.

Here is a wrasse. It is called a slippery d**k and no I am not making this name up. lol

attachicon.gifone slippery **** use this one.jpg

sargassum angler

attachicon.gifOne filefish.jpeg

Remember that collecting corals from the Gulf is not allowed. These are found everywhere, even along the jetty. Also saw a lot of SPS

attachicon.gifone sea whip.jpeg

sargassum angler

attachicon.gifone angler.jpeg

Just run your fingers through the sand when you are splashing around. Don't be surprised if you grab something else like I did. Lol

attachicon.gifone snail.jpeg

These large ones are caught along the grassy areas but also on the beach (when you get lucky like we did on this particular one).

attachicon.gifone large seahorse.jpeg

Also found in a lot of areas.

attachicon.gifone gargonian.jpeg

Sorry for this bad pic. He is a juvenile blue headed wrasse

attachicon.gifone blue headed juvenile wrasse.jpeg

Eventually he will look like this.

attachicon.gifone blue headed wrasse adult.jpg

What I had hopped to catch at the jetty but was unable to was the French Angel. The waves were too rough that morning which was our last day.

attachicon.gifone french angel.png

Keep in mind that the tropical fish die when the water get colder in the winter. The adults lay and fertilize their eggs in Mexico and the Caribbean. The eggs make their way here which is why the fish were see are small.

Below is a list of fish that you can find in the Port A area. They have either been seen or collected by a friend of mind. You can also find other tropical in other areas of the Texas Gulf.

Blue Angel (1-3 per year)

French Angel (30-100+ per year)

Foureye Butterflyfish (3 ever)

Doctorfish (1-3 year) (one year dozens)

Ocean Surgeonfish

Northern Searobin

Bighead Searobin

Emerald Sleeper

Southern Hake

Southern Stargazer

Bank Cusk-Eels

Skilletfish

Frillfin Goby

Least Puffer

Tripletail

Whitespotted Soapfish

Grey Triggerfish (common)

Planehead Filedish (1-2 per year)

Seagrass & Oyster Beds:

Cowfish (2 one year)

Leopard Searobin

Spotted Scorpionfish (common)

Belted Sandbass (common)

Tessellated Blenny (lots one year)

Misc other less interesting Blennies

Hairy Blenny (common)

Chromis (I thought he said purple) (1-6 most years)

Porkfish (1-6 per year)

Flame Cardinal (dozens to hundreds @ night)

Freckled Cardinal (1 ever, but may have mistaken for Flame Cardinal

:arrotfish (1-2 every other year) (common south padre jetties)

Jewelfish (Yellowtail Dansel) (1-3 most years)

Bicolor Dansel (2-dozens Some years)

Yellowtail Dansel)

Bicolor Dansel

Brown Chromis

Porkfish

Flame Cardinal

Freckled Cardinal

Spotted Scorpionfish

Belted Sandbass

Tessellated Blenny

I just wanted to say that I learned a mountain of information on this trip and have much more to go. Thanks Carl for teaching Belinda and I and for getting me to go into areas I would have never thought I would ever go into. I hear August and September are the best months. Can't wait to head back.

Are y'all going to go back in August/September? Count me in if you are. Where did you stay?

Not at this time. We have too much going on with getting the kiddos ready for school and C.J. has football camp the first week in August. We stayed in Rockport.

Archived