Some cool finds while collecting in Port A (More pics added)

Chad and Belinda

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im heading down tonight, going to do a little exploring. Have any tips for me?

Best I can say is the later the better when it comes to peppermints on the jetty. Take a light that has red lights in it as well. Makes it so much easier to see them looking up at you from between the rocks. Have fun!

I think I'm going to try to do this next month...its really sounds like fun for a family trip

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

It is. Kids loved it too and they usually don't care a lot for our hobby. I think mommy and daddy took them to one too many LFS. Lol

Yeah I think it'll be neat...just wish I could snorkel.... That would make it even better

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

On top of snorkeling, the water can be a real challenge. Diving down 10+ feet in those currents can really tire you out. The buddy I went with has got to have some fish in his blood. Even rough waves didn't stop him from going under water for a minute or two at a time and doing that several times. Another challenge for me was the fact I had a hard time relaxing when I was in the water. I've seen some of the fish that have been caught off those jetty's. Lol

Just a serious word of caution. If anyone decides to go snorkeling off the jetty make sure you are a very good swimmer, have snorkeled in waters other than a swimming pool and make darn sure you have someone with you that is at least as good as you are. Oh, and watch those barnacles. I cut my hands in several places. I should have gotten a stitch or two in one of them. I did all of that just getting out of the water.

It's too late to do it now, but for future reference.......dampen the wound then hold the edges of it together and "dot" the superglue along the injury. Hold it till it dries and you should have a pretty good patch.

That being said, any injury sustained in the ocean, particularly on rocks or barnacles, needs to be cleaned very well and watched closely. There are some truly nasty bacteria in the ocean. Stuff you really don't want to tangle with.

I'll probably be heading down in September with the boat. I'm hoping to catch the start of the flounder and gafftop run, and to get out and gather up some sargassum. I've also got a couple leads on two really good spots for big specks. Yum.

I busted this knuckle wide open when unloading the semi after the move. I had blood all over and after cleaning it up I covered it in super glue because a bandaid would do nothing. The glue became a shield so I didn't even notice it when reaching into my pockets. This is 3 weeks laterPosted Image

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Did you guys snorkel at night? Last year when I collected on the jetties, some had scuba with very bright underwater lights. Even when the weather is calm with no current at ebb tide, the movement of ships thru the channel creates a large wave that will lift you 5' and drive you into the rocks. Being in the water at night requires experienced people that are strong swimmers.

When I lived on Galveston Bay, thirty years go we fished the Port Boliver jetty. When 3 lb speckled trout are jumping out of the water, there is something big chasing them.

More fish to eat.

Laissez a bonne temps roulez,

Patrick

I busted this knuckle wide open when unloading the semi after the move. I had blood all over and after cleaning it up I covered it in super glue because a bandaid would do nothing. The glue became a shield so I didn't even notice it when reaching into my pockets. This is 3 weeks later5yhypede.jpg

Chris, you better get your girlfriend to kiss that wound. My oldest sister worked ER at Charity Hospital in New Orleans for 30 years. Because of a shortage of supplies they first used Super Glue 20 years ago. It is now an accepted medical practice.

Patrick

Did you guys snorkel at night? Last year when I collected on the jetties, some had scuba with very bright underwater lights. Even when the weather is calm with no current at ebb tide, the movement of ships thru the channel creates a large wave that will lift you 5' and drive you into the rocks. Being in the water at night requires experienced people that are strong swimmers.

When I lived on Galveston Bay, thirty years go we fished the Port Boliver jetty. When 3 lb speckled trout are jumping out of the water, there is something big chasing them.

More fish to eat.

Patrick

It took all of the nerve I had to go during the day. I'm not about to go at night, especially with bright lights to attract fish of all sizes. I don't want to find myself in the middle of the food chain. Lol

You are braver than I am Patrick!

I busted this knuckle wide open when unloading the semi after the move. I had blood all over and after cleaning it up I covered it in super glue because a bandaid would do nothing. The glue became a shield so I didn't even notice it when reaching into my pockets. This is 3 weeks later5yhypede.jpg

Wish I had known about this. A couple of those boo boos took skin off and the salt was stinging purdy bad.

It's too late to do it now, but for future reference.......dampen the wound then hold the edges of it together and "dot" the superglue along the injury. Hold it till it dries and you should have a pretty good patch.

That being said, any injury sustained in the ocean, particularly on rocks or barnacles, needs to be cleaned very well and watched closely. There are some truly nasty bacteria in the ocean. Stuff you really don't want to tangle with.

I'll probably be heading down in September with the boat. I'm hoping to catch the start of the flounder and gafftop run, and to get out and gather up some sargassum. I've also got a couple leads on two really good spots for big specks. Yum.

Belinda spent a lot of time digging out barnacle stuff out of the deep cut. It got pretty red and swollen really fast. Looks a lot better but still healing.

I busted this knuckle wide open when unloading the semi after the move. I had blood all over and after cleaning it up I covered it in super glue because a bandaid would do nothing. The glue became a shield so I didn't even notice it when reaching into my pockets. This is 3 week

Wish I had known about this. A couple of those boo boos took skin off and the salt was stinging purdy bad.

The glue will hurt when first applied but within 30 seconds it is over and from then on it is protection for the cut.

I let it chip off naturally and by the time it is gone the cut is shut on its own.

just fyi, superglue's original intent (cyanoacrylate) was for use as a field dressing/wound closure. To this day its still used in emergencies. It's 100% safe for wounds. But be sure you arent using betadyne or iodine to clean your wound before hand (And definitely NOT hydrogen peroxide). Soap, water or saline solution. (Amerigel surgical cleanser). I've personally used it on several lacerations/cuts on my person, as well as others. Again, do -not- use hydrogen peroxide on lacerations/cuts.

More fish to eat.

Patrick

It took all of the nerve I had to go during the day. I'm not about to go at night, especially with bright lights to attract fish of all sizes. I don't want to find myself in the middle of the food chain. Lol

While I have surfed fish both day and full moon nights, I don't know that makes me brave. Maybe ignorance is bliss. Some years back, a younger brother and I were surf fishing near Grande Isle, Louisiana. We had been fishing for an hour before dawn and had a stringer of 20 speckled trout between one and two pounds. We each had stringers with our fish attached to our belts. Gerald stringer was hooked to his belt as he was dragged by a small shark that was eating fish on his stringer. Gerald lost his rod and reel as he struggled to cut his stringer from his belt. The fisherman became the fish to be pulled out to deeper water. Gerald also lost that stringer of fish. We both continue to surf fish. We either float a small ice chest or we bring each fish in to shore.

Laissez la bonne tems roulez,

Patrick

More fish to eat.

Patrick

While I have surfed fish both day and full moon nights, I don't know that makes me brave. Maybe ignorance is bliss. Some years back, a younger brother and I were surf fishing near Grande Isle, Louisiana. We had been fishing for an hour before dawn and had a stringer of 20 speckled trout between one and two pounds. We each had stringers with our fish attached to our belts. Gerald stringer was hooked to his belt as he was dragged by a small shark that was eating fish on his stringer. Gerald lost his rod and reel as he struggled to cut his stringer from his belt. The fisherman became the fish to be pulled out to deeper water. Gerald also lost that stringer of fish. We both continue to surf fish. We either float a small ice chest or we bring each fish in to shore.

Laissez la bonne tems roulez,

Patrick

just fyi, superglue's original intent (cyanoacrylate) was for use as a field dressing/wound closure. To this day its still used in emergencies. It's 100% safe for wounds. But be sure you arent using betadyne or iodine to clean your wound before hand (And definitely NOT hydrogen peroxide). Soap, water or saline solution. (Amerigel surgical cleanser). I've personally used it on several lacerations/cuts on my person, as well as others. Again, do -not- use hydrogen peroxide on lacerations/cuts.

I never knew that.

What's wrong with peroxide?

To sort of steer this back on topic; for those of you going out there for the first time, DO NOT wear flip flops. Wear some type of enclosed shoe; old tenny runners, water socks, adventure sandals, etc. Once dark hits, you need solid footing to get around safely. Some of the gaps are wide, plus the stones get wet and slippery.

Also, buy one of those headlamps that goes around your head or that clips to a hat. Keeps the hands free.

And, when you bring your goodies home; put the bucket you use inside the vehicle with you. Not in the bed of the truck. Trust me.

To sort of steer this back on topic; for those of you going out there for the first time, DO NOT wear flip flops. Wear some type of enclosed shoe; old tenny runners, water socks, adventure sandals, etc. Once dark hits, you need solid footing to get around safely. Some of the gaps are wide, plus the stones get wet and slippery.

Also, buy one of those headlamps that goes around your head or that clips to a hat. Keeps the hands free.

And, when you bring your goodies home; put the bucket you use inside the vehicle with you. Not in the bed of the truck. Trust me.

Seems like I remember that collection trip mishap.

Archived