KimP - 90gal build

KimP

Now I have the durso standpipe and the return in, but only the part in the tank, nothing is figured out yet for below. I've also been talking to Nick at BML about a 48" fixture to supplement the missing colors in the AI Sols I'm going to be using. I was lucky enough to win the 24" BML fixture at C4, so they are going to let me roll that into a 48" one and pay the difference. Today I have a little free time and will be trying to come up with an aquascape.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know you won the BML fixture. That's awesome. That was my plan as well. It really made a big difference when I threw it over my tank. How are you planning on aquascaping? LR? Dry Rock?

I have a mix of some brs dry rock and some live rock. I'm considering getting some from subsea also when the tank is cycled. I really like the way phamily has his aquascaping in his big tank and I'd like to do something like it.

Things are still moving along very slow, but steady. The sump has been designed and is just waiting for the skimmer to come so it can be finalized and built. That won't take long after the skimmer gets here. Things should really fall into place once the sump and plumbing is done.

I did finish up the screen top today. Those were very easy and fast to make! It took a while to get them spray painted though. I painted just the frame black, then after they were dry put in the clear mesh.

post-1781-0-30090000-1367449752_thumb.jp

very nice stand, I feel you on the things moving slowly part. I finally got my trim work done on my stand and will doors and stain tomorrow. I am chomping at the bit to get my system up and running. Good luck on the rest of the build. Oh and the BML lights are awesome, I had one 48" on my 90 and it was more than enough. I plan to use it on my new 180 with additional BML lights

• Like 1

A little update. The sump is currently being built. All of the things I need for the tank are here as of today. I finally got a good chunk of time to do my aquascape this past weekend. It didn't turn out anything like I had in mind! I really like it though! I wanted to use all the cerameco pieces I've gathered, so with them being my first priority, it made a very different scape then I could've imagined. I might still move some things around but this is good enough to get things cycling. The rest is all live rock and I only had room for one brs dry rock. I just tested ammonia and it's zero. I might test nitrate later today, but I'm going to throw a shrimp in there and just see if I can get some ammonia. No rush. I'm also considering different lights...

Hopefully I can talk my husband into playing around with the apex system tonight. He's got a lot to learn :P

Lol, that's right! I'm working on getting a picture but the tank is directly across from a big window and there's a ton of glare. I might have to wait until tonight.

Well this is what I could get. I really need lights over it to get a good picture. I had to use the flash. Anyway you get the idea maybe. Any suggestions on how to make it better are welcome! The goal of this tank is primarily for fish. ...Tapatalk isn't cooperating...pics in a minute...

have you ever tried the "rolling hills" look like that? I tried it with my freshwater tanks, but it always just ends up flattened out after a while. does the SW substrate hold that shape better? i'm trying to plan my sandbed and want varying depths like that. i'm thinking i need to build levies.

have you ever tried the "rolling hills" look like that? I tried it with my freshwater tanks, but it always just ends up flattened out after a while. does the SW substrate hold that shape better? i'm trying to plan my sandbed and want varying depths like that. i'm thinking i need to build levies.

I find the power heads that we use in saltwater tanks tend to do more of the shaping of the substrate. Plus there are a lot more fish/snails/stuff that bury and move the substrate around in saltwater tanks... I wouldn't get hooked on what it looks like, because over time it will change.

• Like 2

You mentioned in this tank thread that the tank was mostly for fish. Did you plan on any macro in the display tank? If you include tangs or drawf angels forget about Dragons Breath or Red Grapes.

I have kept Gracularia Hayi with tangs and drawf angels. Depending on your lights, it displays dark burgundy as a compact shrub. I still have your Red Rock gift from Christmas.

Come visit.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...