KimP - 90gal build

KimP

They're a blast to catch.

I was succesfully able to make a tube trap for mine one time. The fact they can climb really well makes it hard to net one and keep them in the net or the container you are putting them into.

I'd avoid feeding for a week and try the bottle again.

good lord kim... 4 a360's?! there goes the kids college fund! ;)

Lol, I know it seems like a lot. I wanted good coverage all the way to the bottom and on both sides. With a center brace 4 was the only way to go. It did take a considerable chunk out of the tank savings!

My experience with the crab is he's always out and about and everyone does love him and if your tank has any algae he'll be your super star. If he can't find anything to eat then he will look for food and that means in your dendros if he has to. I would try throwing some macro in there but mine did better once I fed him some seaweed. Since your dendros are all still open then I wouldn't worry too much about it since if he was doing anything bad to it then it would of been dead by now.

Here is a vid of the eel

He's in my bubble trap/ rock rubble area. I tried throwing a plastic water bottle with mysis to entice him but he hasn't taken the bait so we'll be using nets and as fast as he is it's going to be fun.

Thanks for posting the video! I feel kinda bad taking him away from his friend.

How much would you say the crab wants to eat? I give him a big piece of seaweed almost everyday. He devours it and spends the rest of the day picking at everything in the tank.

• Like 1

Guess who comes out all the time now? The blue dartfish! He must've just needed to get used to all of us being home. He's very cool and can dart back in his hole in the blink of an eye, but then comes right back out.

And just as I was about to post this my son noticed a second one out. Yay! I wonder if all 3 are still alive or just those 2?

• Like 2

In other news, I found my decorator crab walking around with a space monster zoa on his head :/ He has expensive taste.

Decorator crabs are funny like that.

No telling what they will have glued on themselves.

Looky who joined us yesterday :) Funny thing is, he's hanging out in the spot where the blue dartfish always are. I hope they're getting along well, or the dartfish found a new spot they like. They're almost as big as the eel, so I don't think he ate them. You'd think with all the tons of crevices, caves, and holes in the rocks that he could've found a different spot. It sure is fun to see him out and about already!

post-1781-13750350944_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Yes! He feasted on frozen mysis last night, I'm very happy with him so far! He also found himself a different home.

I also saw all 3 blue dartfish out eating. Things are going well.

Got a picture tonight at feeding time of 2 dartfish out. The third is soooo skittish! There's lots of space for him to eat and still stay hidden behind the rocks though.

post-1781-137523746438_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Pictures first, update below:

Current FTS The sandbed is so cluttered because we are moving soon and I don't want to glue anything until after the move

post-1781-0-52315500-1383942819_thumb.jp

Left side view

post-1781-0-65635400-1383942743_thumb.jp

Right side view

post-1781-0-30607400-1383942759_thumb.jp

post-1781-0-59781700-1383942775_thumb.jp

The cleaner shrimp and the eel are buddies. They're always near each other, I think because the shrimp likes the silversides the eel gets

post-1781-0-43354900-1383942784_thumb.jp

Here's the tasseled filefish. He's one of my favorites! Always out and about, comes right up to me anytime I'm near the tank, and the best eater. I keep him fed well so he doesn't try to nip any corals. Luckily he hasn't ever showed any interest.

post-1781-0-85181800-1383942791_thumb.jp

Dendros and some sort of fungia plate I've had for years. It was a hitchhiker on a spiral wire coral I bought a long time ago. Looked like a dead skeleton, less than half the size of a dime, but slowly colored up and has been with me through several tanks. Gotta love corals that take a beating and still look great in any placement!

post-1781-0-54462200-1383942799_thumb.jp

Here's an older picture of the fungia

post-1781-0-21279300-1383942728_thumb.jp

Hidden cup corals. Also a hitchhiker that I've had for many many years. These actually came on my very first live rock in my first saltwater tank about 7 years ago.

post-1781-0-92990300-1383942807_thumb.jp

Long time, no update! The main reason is my tank is directly across from windows so there's always so much glare in pictures. I know how much everyone loves an update without pictures! I finally got some though.

Things are chugging along well. Still having some cyano and gha but nothing to complain about in a tank this young. All the fish get along very well, corals are growing, parameters are staying fairly consistent, etc. I am dosing because my alk dropped way way down during stocking, and especially following a fish loss. It's been a while now and I'm still having to dose alk but not as much and it's been easy to keep the level steady. Ca has been low for a long time because I hadn't gotten around to bringing Mg up. This past week I got my act together and I'm getting Mg up to NSW levels then I'll get the Ca up. It's not that I have that much stony coral, but I do have a lot of coralline (that the urchins strip off like crazy, grrr) and I suspect that's where it's going.

I'm still getting the apex up and running, very very slowly. I don't get much time to work on it and it has a steep learning curve. My current project is getting my Tunze powerheads on some sort of program. I'd like the flow to be higher during the day and less at night. I'd also like the 2 powerheads to take turns being on full blast and on low, to give different flow patterns throughout the tank. Getting the apex to make that happen is another story.

I recently got the Kessils fully programed with the apex, on a sunrise/sunset program with varying spectrum and intensity throughout the day. I'm loving that! I just brought the intensity up from 50% to 60% yesterday and in the coming weeks I'd like to get it up to 70%.

I will be moving in about a month to a house a little southeast of my current house, still in Austin. The idea of a tank move is stressful. I'm concerned about coral loss, but other than that I expect it won't be too difficult. For the meantime I'm leaving my corals loose and not gluing anything down. My idea is it'll be easier on the corals if I don't have to break them off of the rock for transport. I'll certainly be researching the best way to do this soon. There's also a chance that I'll use the move to upgrade to a 6' tank. Give the fish some more swimming space. The new house has much more wall space than our current one. Still a maybe though. All of my equipment should transfer.

I recently made the visit out to subsea's place and got some macros from him (thank you!!). Visiting his place is always a blast! So my sump recently went from a cryptic to a lit refugium. I've had mud in there since setup, but nothing else except some rubble. Right away I noticed algae and coralline growth in the reactor and return tubing. No good. Finally yesterday I wrapped the return tubing in electrical tape and covered the reactor. I hope that will be good enough, I certainly don't want any clogs.

• Like 3

Tank looks really great. I might need to pick up a tasseled filefish for my own tank.

It has been a while since your last update but you get a pass with the kiddos. If you get the chance to upgrade tanks you need to pounce on it.

Let me know if you need a hand moving and I'll put it in my calendar.

• Like 1