KimP - 90gal build

KimP

Is that a south Austin medical center blanket on there ? :)

Na, just an old towel that I use for my tanks. I had my baby at home in the bedroom :) It does look like that though!

are those pulleys so that you can raise your light and tie it off higher?  *saving photo for plagiarism purposes.

Yep, it's the hanging kit from AI. I really like it, very sturdy and easy to raise & lower.

• Like 1

I have a lot of cord clean up and ignore the aquascaping, that will be done later, but we have light! Also it turns out they don't come with the cable to connect them to each other so I'll have to buy those. Here are my 4 a360n kessils :D

post-1781-137028162017_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The tank is coming along, very nice. I am glad I did pulleys on my canopy. I can't wait until I get my 4 36" LED's so that all of them do it.

Again nice job on the tank

• Like 1

wow, that looks great. and it went together quickly, too. i guess the vodka dosing on the baby did wonders to nap time. oh wait, that was someone else doing the vodka dosing, nevermind.

Dennis,

You are a rascal. I enjoy your sense of humor.

Kim,

I saw those lights used on clams at Aqua-dome. Very awesome. I was with my grand kids who were so impressed to see clams react to people as I passed my hand thru the light beam. In that respect, you should consider clams in your tank. They have been used effectively as nutrient processes as a dual food crop with marine Talapia.

Patrick

Edited by subsea
  • Like 1

wow, that looks great. and it went together quickly, too. i guess the vodka dosing on the baby did wonders to nap time. oh wait, that was someone else doing the vodka dosing, nevermind.

Dennis,

You are a rascal. I enjoy your sense of humor.

thanks, i try. i'm pretty sure that's why most people put up with me, anyway.

• Like 3

Sweet Jesus. You're gonna get a sunburn if you stand too close to those lights. That's some serious power. Nicely done on the hanging hardware. Very cool!

• Like 1

I've managed to mount the apex and get it all connected, along with mounting the UV sterilizer and reactor. I still need more parts to hook up the return.

post-1781-137099355297_thumb.jpg

Now I need to tackle this mess. This is where my ato jug is supposed to sit. What do y'all do with the power supplies from lights or other equipment? I have 4 from the lights and 2 from powerheads. They are quite warm too. I'll definitely run a fan under here.

post-1781-137099357047_thumb.jpg

I use a wire rack to hold most of my bulky power supplies. I used a ton of zip ties and adhesive wall mounts to keep my wires up off the ground.

http://www.amazon.com/Startech-HC102-Adhesive-Cable-Mounts/dp/B00008VFBE/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1371066534&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=screw+in+zip+tie

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-5E08-FastTrack-24-Inch-Basket/dp/B0009J5NU4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_2

Something to keep in mind is how you wire things that will be there permanently (ie most of your apex equipment) vs things that you will likely have to unplug and remove for maintenance (powerheads, heaters, skimmers, etc).

I use a wire rack to hold most of my bulky power supplies. I used a ton of zip ties and adhesive wall mounts to keep my wires up off the ground.

http://www.amazon.com/Startech-HC102-Adhesive-Cable-Mounts/dp/B00008VFBE/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1371066534&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=screw+in+zip+tie

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-5E08-FastTrack-24-Inch-Basket/dp/B0009J5NU4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_2

Something to keep in mind is how you wire things that will be there permanently (ie most of your apex equipment) vs things that you will likely have to unplug and remove for maintenance (powerheads, heaters, skimmers, etc). 

Do you have a picture somewhere of how things are organized in your stand?

• Like 1

mounter your power strip also so its not on the ground and i used zip ties to clean up wires and the power supply i made sure they were not on the ground. i had my mp40 driver get wet and had to get a new one.

on my 90 i notice things i mount inside the stand get rusted or salt creep and stuff so on my 190 i mounted everything on a board outside the stand and mounted the board on the wall

Edited by wizardx322

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally an update. I was gone almost the entire month of July. It was great to just let the tank do it's thing without me messing with it everyday, but a few corals got flipped over, knocked down, or pushed under rocks. All in all nothing major like I was expecting.

I have the apex up and running on a very limited scale. At the moment it's just turning on and off the lights and turning the return pump off for the automatic feeder for 20 min a night. I took the feeder off and I'll do bigger feedings maybe twice a week now that I'm back.

The livestock so far consists of a tail spot blenny, cleaner shrimp, decorator crab, dartfish, emerald crab, a bunch of little feeder shrimp, hermits, and various snails, mostly nassarious. I have one dwarf moray eel hanging out in briansrocks' sump that I need to go get. That'll be my next addition. I'm disappointed in the dartfish. I've only seen it out once for a second. I know I shouldn't be surprised but I figured with no competition and having been in there a month, he'd come out once in a while. It was from divers den. I can always see his eye in the hiding spot under the rock. It was actually a trio but I assume the other 2 might be dead, although they could certainly be hiding as well. The blenny is awesome though. I figured he'd be the one I'd never see but he's always out chilling on a rock somewhere and swimming around. Cool little fish, not too small at all for this size tank!

One big problem/dilemma I'm having is about the shrimp and decorator crab. They are both the stars of the tank right now, especially the crab. Always walking around doing something my son and husband enjoy. Problem is they are tearing up my dendros, fungia plate, and constantly moving anything on the sandbed around. Flipping them over, burying them, etc. I set this tank up for my boys to enjoy, which means mostly fish and critters like that, but I can't resist putting corals in there. I need to decide soon what I can give up.

post-1781-137462371341_thumb.jpg

post-1781-137462372638_thumb.jpg

post-1781-13746237389_thumb.jpg

post-1781-137462375699_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Well, that seems like a bit of good news (yay) and bad news (dang, sorry). overall, it's coming together well.

Tough choice about the coral vs. critters. Or they only bothering the corals on the sandbed? From what I understand the dendro could go anywhere since it is an nps. Mine has never seemed to react to being moved around or the light strength.

No, the dendros are in a dark spot on top of a rock. The others are on the sandbed. Maybe I should try putting them higher. The crab travels all over the tank though, high and low.

My experience with the crab is he's always out and about and everyone does love him and if your tank has any algae he'll be your super star. If he can't find anything to eat then he will look for food and that means in your dendros if he has to. I would try throwing some macro in there but mine did better once I fed him some seaweed. Since your dendros are all still open then I wouldn't worry too much about it since if he was doing anything bad to it then it would of been dead by now.

Here is a vid of the eel

He's in my bubble trap/ rock rubble area. I tried throwing a plastic water bottle with mysis to entice him but he hasn't taken the bait so we'll be using nets and as fast as he is it's going to be fun.

• Like 1