Announcing the October ARC Meeting and Frag Swap

mFrame

ARC's Bi-Annual Equipment and Frag Swap.

Theresa has volunteered to host the Bi-annual Equipment and Frag Swap at her home in Northwest Austin. Bring your folding chairs and coolers!

The details:

Saturday October 20th starting at 3:00 pm

Special Guest speaker: Alyssa Squiers, Senior Aquarist at the Tx State Aquarium discussing the sexual reproduction of corals

*** Due to a work related issue Alyssa will not be able to make it. We will reschedule her for a later meeting and are looking for a replacement for the frag swap ***

Special Guest speaker:

Just wanted to announce our replacement guest speaker, Nick Ireland - Senior Aquarist of SeaWorld San Antonio! He'll be discussing the SeaWorld coral systems as well as his involvement with Secore. Secore (SE xual CO ral RE production) is an international non-profit organization focused on coral reef conservation. SECORE combines the knowledge of scientists and public aquarium professionals to develop effective strategies for coral reef conservation using research, education, public outreach, and reef restoration.

Silent Auctions:

* several Cerameco sets and a commercial LED fixture will be available via silent auction. Winners announced that night!

Agenda:

3 pm - 7pm: Frag Swap and in general hanging out.

4 pm: And now a word from our host/Sponsor

4:15 pm - Alyssa Squiers Guest speaker

5 pm: Frag swap

6:45 pm: Let's find out who wins the silent auctions!

Though it's called a "Frag Swap", there will of course be frags available to swap for your dollars! biggrin.png There will be tables and table space available for Premium Members to set up and sell/trade frags. Non-Premium members may bring frags to swap but will not be allocated table space and will not be allowed to sell frags.

If you need electricity please contact Theresa. If you would like to bring food or drinks please send me (dapettit) a PM -- food is provided on a volunteer basis. You can post here if you plan to attend and what food/drink items you would like to bring. Suggestions: water bottles, soda, juiceboxes, fruit, chips & dips, cookies, hotdogs, burgers. Once it's gone it's gone!

This is going to be a "most excellent" meeting, can't wait to see you there!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

After hours bon fire will be on the Southside on Bear Creek. I plan on making the frag swap, after which I will host a bonfire at my house. I would not bring kids to this party.

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

I'm thinking this will be worth the drive!

After hours bon fire will be on the Southside on Bear Creek. I plan on making the frag swap, after which I will host a bonfire at my house. I would not bring kids to this party.

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

I'm thinking this will be worth the drive!

I have two spare bedrooms and a 20' by 20' greenhouse for people to sleep over. Patrick

Glad to see so many newbies interested in coming! Yes, the meeting and swap are open to everyone and admission is free. I'll have free frags of Devils Hand leather and a few mushrooms and there are generally many other people who bring free frags as well. Depending on the coral, those selling frags may start as low as $5 a frag or go as high as in the 100s for something rare/large/etc. There's sure to be something to fit every person's budget.

So let's here who's coming, what you're bringing (food, drinks, frags), and how many will be in your group. Kids are welcome. Bring a cooler to keep your swaps and purchases at a good temperature and be sure to bring a blanket or chair so you can have a sit while you marvel at your new critters.

just noticed we were having another frag swap this year! I already got tickets to the chili peppers concert in houston so i cant make it but for all who havent been its a great time!

Bah! I miss this every year. At least I have a good excuse...I'll be doing this http://aircombat.com/.

Yeah... I'd def do this over going to the meet.. I wanted to be a fighter pilot ever since high school and was on track until my eyes went from better than 20/20 vision to slightly fuzzy... Boy was I devastated. Dreams of flying an F16 went down the drain.. :( Have fun and take some video!

Archived