JamesL's 75g Blog

JamesL

I survived my first attack from Mr. Have To Protect My Anemone. I think the anemone is resigned to the fact that it has to put up with the abundance of love this clownfish is giving it.

Caught the clown trying to feed the anemone part of an algae sheet (when I was feeding my tangs and angel), and getting frustrated that the anemone was not eating it. :)

I dare you to touch my anemone:

IMG_2200.JPG

Showing off his back side:

IMG_2232.JPG

And he isn't afraid of no clownfish:

IMG_2257.JPG

I stand before you this fine August day to present the State Of The Tank address. We campaigned on change, and I can solidly tell you: change has come! From our humble roots of a just a 5 gallon custom tank back in 1991, we have transformed ourselves into the present day thriving 75 gallon tank. Just a mere 8 months ago, we took the bold step into the largest tank we have ever owned.

We have no recession of zoanthids in the tank, thanks largely to the metal halide lighting, and dosing of Polyp Labs Reef Fuel. Likewise, trumpet coral splitting is on the rise. The inflation of green star polyps has been contained by keeping them on Exile Island, also home to the ferocious Gold Stripe Maroon clownfish. We have had some sad loses in the Acan franchise, but it seems that we have seen the bottom. Leather coral shipments are up 800% year-over-year.

A not-so-fragile peace has settled over the tank's swimming inhabitants. The dreaded Talbot Damsel gang has finally met it's match, and has resigned to having to share the waters. Their attempts to bolster their numbers with offspring has, to this day, not added any new members. Though this has not deterred them. And if they are ever successful at hatching a clutch of eggs, we fear serious consequences for not just the tank, but the world at large.

Similar to reports of seeing the lock ness monster, we have had sightings of our two elusive dusky gobies. They have settled in to the back underside of some rockwork, and are only seen at feeding times. We suspect they might be harboring feelings of resentment towards the Talbot Damsel gang, and are plotting a tank take-over. But for now, they continue to exude their timid persona.

Jawfish tunnel construction is on the decline. We believe this indicates contentment with current lodging and not a real estate slump in the tank. This is all despite the constant "fly overs" from the tang duo. Algae is at rock bottom due to the before mentioned tang duo and the flame angelfish. The angelfish has been a model citizen but not picking on the new clam, but keeping the Kenya Tree population in check.

Even though the yellow striped candy hogfish has aspirations of being a barracuda, he has been a model citizen in the tank. Truly a fish for all fish to look up to. The gold striped maroon clownfish could learn a lesson from the hogfish on not biting people. And finally, we are happy to report the pink skunk clown has found true love in the tank with the tongue coral.

The tank is poised for an excellent second half of the year. Zoanthid and clam size increases are expected, along with increases in favia coralites. Fish population is expected to remain flat.

This, ladies and gentlefish, has been the mid-2009 State Of The Tank address. Please note: some forward looking statements have been made in this post. These in no way should be used as factual information or the basis for fish/coral investments. Please consult your local fish store and club for advice.

• 2 weeks later...

While doing a water change last night, I snapped this top-down picture of my squamosa clam (from prof). When I first got it, it was more whitish, now it is taking on a very nice golden color.

IMG_2393.JPG

It still looks more white (with a slight golden sheen) when viewing it through the front glass, but top-down, it is golden.

did you use a box or is this straight down throught the water? Nice clam!

Just straight down through the water... was in the middle of a water change, and was waiting for the replacement water to fill the tank.

Took some random pictures last week, finally getting around to posting them.

Blasto is getting a deeper red again... though no noticeable growth. Maybe it is not happy on the sand?

IMG_2433.JPG

Hard to see in the picture, but these paly's are sprouting new heads:

IMG_2436.JPG

For some reason I have been losing some of my blue zoas at the top of the tank. They were growing great for a while, and now have melted away. This hermit has grabbed a piece :)

IMG_2455.JPG

This yellow cucumber loves "hugging" corals.

IMG_2468.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well maybe not a great pink seas snail, but I did see my pink banded shrimp goby the other morning. I had thought it was a gonner as I have seen my pistol shrimp lately, but not spotted the goby in months. I was actually prepared to go buy a striped hi-fin here in the near future. But early one morning with the lights out, I spot the pink striped cruising around the bottom of the tank.

• 2 months later...

... I am just happy to have time to clean my tank. The skimmers have been clogged and not really skimming for almost a week. So last night I finally devoted time time to cleaning the tank. Got the skimmers up and running again, glass cleaned, and some pruning of xenia done. I also re-arranged my exile island (contains GSP and my anemone) last night to add height to it. Will have too see what the anemone thinks when I get home today. I will try to snap some pictures also.

Here are some new pictures from tonight.

My squamosa... it was not cooperating to get a nice clear picture.

IMG_3865.JPG

Still can''t do good FTS, but here is one with the slightly new aquascaping:

IMG_3869.JPG

Kenya tree likes it's new spot:

IMG_3874.JPG

Kenya macro:

IMG_3900.JPG

Group shot:

IMG_3949.JPG

Nice shot of some of my zoas:

IMG_3958.JPG

Will post some more later.

Ok, I suck at taking good picture of my fish, especially when they are swimming around. The only way I have gotten non-blurry pictures is to use the built in flash ... which of course makes things look not-that-nice. If I try increasing the shutter speed on the camera, I just get really dark pictures.

Anywho, here are some flashed fish.

My Six Line has to be one of the hardest to get a picture of. He knows when the camera i out, and goes for the rocks:

IMG_3988.JPG

Two pictures of my Twin Spot Bristletooth tang. He is really much nicer color without the flash:

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_3982.JPG

Candy Striped Hogfish, love him as he lurks around like a barracuda ^_^

IMG_3981.JPG