JamesL's 75g Blog

JamesL

Nice pic of the scopas tang ........that must be a baby. As the tang matures (about 3yrs. or so), the specks and lines will become more visible. I was surprised w/ours because now it looks gorgeous.

The goby....how long has it been w/you, I could never keep those little guys alive for long :)

Nice pic of the scopas tang ........that must be a baby. As the tang matures (about 3yrs. or so), the specks and lines will become more visible. I was surprised w/ours because now it looks gorgeous.

The goby....how long has it been w/you, I could never keep those little guys alive for long :)

The Scopas is about 2.5" in diameter (not counting it's fins).

I have had this clown goby since April of 2007 (had to dig around on an old fish blog to find that). I actually have had pretty good luck keeping them. I have only lost them to predators (I had bought 2 that April, and a stupid Sally Longfoot crab got one) and a tank crash.

• 1 month later...

Well, haven't updated in a while because my tank has been plain-ol-ugly. I have had a very abd spell of diatoms/brown algae. I think I finally narrowed it down to my RO/DI (familiar story for some). Need to change the filters in it plus the resin. Once I did that, the output water is once again back to a TDS of 0.

I think the tank is finally starting to crest in the brown algae department.

Only other news is I lost my clown goby :( He was looking pretty ragged, and I think it was just old age.

• 3 weeks later...

New picture time. You will have to excuse the poor quality of the pictures .. I was in a rush Friday to take them. I really need to get back into taking good tank pictures... I used to be able to, but I seem to have lost my touch.

Frogspawn:

IMG_1027.JPG

Zoa's from RCA (will post a picture later of what size they were when I first got them):

IMG_1037.JPG

Jawfish in his home:

IMG_1061.JPG

Scopas tang in front of toadstool leather and 3 of it's offspring:

IMG_1085.JPG

Left side of the tank:

IMG_1095.JPG

Right side of the tank:

IMG_1101.JPG

Full tank shot (complete with crooked tripod and camera flash):

IMG_1014.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well, things must be going good in the 75g tank, as my three Talbot Damsels spawned over the weekend!

Now, I am not sure which are males and which are females. I have three, and one has always lived in a cave in the live rock. This weekend, that one got a bluish/grey patch on the top base of his tail (I am suspecting this is the female) , and starting courtship dances with one of the others. They would then both zip into the cave (which up to this point, she never allowed anyone else in the cave). Then it would repeat with the other damsel.

Now, the other two damsels (the supposed males) have taken to digging holes in the sand at opposite ends of the tank.

I took a flashlight and can see eggs lining the walls in the cave, and the (supposed) female in there fanning them.

I don't expect the offspring to survive, as I don't have the time to try and raise them outside the big tank. But cool non-the-less.

Ok, not only did I go to Aquadome yesterday and pick up some new stuff, but I even took pictures last night! Picture taking quality is still a little shotty, just haven't had the time to spend quality time fiddling with the settings. I didn't even bother to pull out the tripod.

I picked up a Flame Angelfish, Blue Sided Wrasse, Orange Bar Shrimp Goby, and an Orange Brain Coral.

The stupid Talbot Damsels think they own the whole tank, so they gave the angel and wrasse some initial guff. But the angel would have none of it and fought back. After a couple hours the damsels were leaving the angel alone and he was out eating some of the pellet food off the bottom I fed earlier to distract the fish.

And without further ado, here are the pictures. You can click them for larger versions.

Jawfish in his cave:

IMG_1155.JPG

New organ brain near my existing cynaria (bought it at a cheap price as a recovery coral):

IMG_1182.JPG

Sun Coral:

IMG_1193.JPG

One of the pencil urchins:

IMG_1195.JPG

Another of the jawfish:

IMG_1208.JPG

Organ bar goby, hope he finds my pistol:

IMG_1213.JPG

Yet another of the jawfish (can you tell I like him :) ):

IMG_1215.JPG

Emerald crab hiding in one of the candy canes:

IMG_1224.JPG

Bad picture of some of my zoa's:

IMG_1227.JPG

Little bit better picture of some zoa's:

IMG_1230.JPG

More pictures to come in next post...

See previous blog entry for details, just continuing with the pictures.

Candy cane near the top of the tank splitting like crazy:

IMG_1232.JPG

Pulsing xenia:

IMG_1233.JPG

One shot of the flame angel:

IMG_1241.JPG

Another of the flame:

IMG_1242.JPG

Some zoa's with orange ball anemones in them:

IMG_1243.JPG

Best picture I could get of the new wrasse... he was staying in a corner of the tank yesterday:

IMG_1275.JPG

Left side of the tank (picture came out kinda dark):

IMG_1391.JPG

Right side of the tank:

IMG_1396.JPG

Full tank shot:

IMG_1401.JPG

I woke up this morning to find my orange barred shrimp goby paired up with my red striped pistol shrimp! The shrimp was busy making an entrance to a cave, luckily towards for the front of the tank :)

haha a cave?

mine have an intracate highway system running all around the tank

I think mine is working on that system. I swear I hear the pistol shrimps napping at the left end of the tank sometimes, but I have not seen any exit points over there. I have only seen the fish & pistol come out on the right ride of the tank.

Traded two of my baby toadstool leathers in this weekend and came home with this beautiful blasto:

IMG_1404.JPG

This little guy is a pig also. Fed some mysis and it swallowed a bunch up. Looking forward to seeing it grow.

Took a few more pictures while I was at it.

The LPS grotto:

IMG_1414.JPG

Some blue zoas:

IMG_1420.JPG

Mr. Scopas:

IMG_1439.JPG

Love my flame angel:

IMG_1460.JPG

Finally got a shot of my red thorny starfish:

IMG_1473.JPG

Yet another critter in my tank spawning. Came home last night and found one of my nass. snails depositing eggs on the front glass:

IMG_1490.JPG

This morning there were 3 waves of eggs (no pictures as I didn't have time).

I think my Talbots damsel is still guarding it's eggs. Does anyone know how long they take to hatch? It should be about the same time as clownfish.

Well, I thought my orange banded shrimp goby was a goner, but he made an appearance yesterday with the pistol shrimp yesterday while feeding the tank.

My GBTA has decided to make an appearance on the front of exile island. Maybe the clown will see it now :lol:

And the Talbot Damsels are at it again. I saw the male wooing the females back to his cave (where the first cluth of eggs are still growing).

Everything else is just growing. Will have to get some pictures when I get a bit more time.

Never seen a red thorny starfish. Very cool.

Aquadome has them in stock almost every time I am in there. Very neat looking starfish, and is generally out and about most of the time.