JamesL's 75g Blog

JamesL

Maybe your daughter is just an old man at heart smile.png. Regardless, I approve of Ben and Jerry smile.png.

It is funny you mention that. When she was born, the nurses said she had an "old soul" as she didn't cry or fuss much during the whole initial bath and poke/prodding.

• 4 weeks later...

Now I know why I was on a meeting hiatus..... Every time I go to one I either leave poorer or with new ideas (or both in this case). Thanks to Ty and his awesome open floor plan tank, I came home and did some re-arranging in mine. Took out a few paly encrusted pieces (*cough* for sale) to open things up. I then added a piece of Ty grown hydrophorna (probably butchered that, but to lazy to look up the correct spelling now). I also acquired an orange tube anemone from Nikos Reef. Picture will come in a few days when the dust settles.

But the fun did not stop there tonight. After the great rearrange, i noticed some water on the floor behind the tank. Further inspection led to me finding my hang on the back fuge was leaking. So glad I saw it then instead of 2 in the morning when the water alarms under the tank would have went off. It was leaking from an input junction and didn't look easily fixed, so I took the whole think off and put a spare hang on the back skimmer on. Truthfully it was time for the fuge to be cleaned, as I have never done any real maintenance on it in about 4-5 years. I think I am going to run fuge less for a while. While cleaning it out I did find a 2-3 inch brown filtering clam inside of it on the wall. I chunked him into the main tank behind the rock work.

All fish were accounted for except my six line wrasse, which hopefully was just scared into the rock work. Hope to see him in the morning.

That all sounds great but how can you post an update like that with no pictures!!! I would've liked to see one of the clam you found, that sounded really neat. Plus the new scape, of course.

• Like 1

That all sounds great but how can you post an update like that with no pictures!!! I would've liked to see one of the clam you found, that sounded really neat. Plus the new scape, of course.

+1 Let's see that aquascaping James!

Here are some quick phone pictures of the tank. Still a bit cloudy, and some things not exactly happy with me smile.png

post-249-0-71198100-1394998498_thumb.jpg

post-249-0-66971800-1394998504_thumb.jpg

post-249-0-56024500-1394998510_thumb.jpg

Blurry picture of my Ty frag:

post-249-0-21798400-1394998515_thumb.jpg

And unhappy tube anemone due to the sliming of stuff in the tank:

post-249-0-50780700-1394998521_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Quick two picture update.

This guy is just awesome:

post-249-0-98959500-1395512254_thumb.jpg

And my tube anemone seems a lot happier. He has been busy building his tube under the sand. I went to move him just a few days after putting him in the tank, and he had already built his tube deep enough to attach it to the rock work:

post-249-0-85146900-1395512258_thumb.jpg

Hey, I thought i saw you hanging around my sump too much James! Great pictures btw,

Busted! devil.gif

Yes, this is a Limited Edition Ty plate and he is just always happy and puffed up. Much more so than my green plate I have.

Yes, the tube anemone is NPS. I found a real good article on them the other day:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/6/inverts

It evens references last year's C4 speaker James Fatheree (the clam guy) :)

I am glad I found that article, as I would have not thought to offer smaller items also... I had kinda figured it would just want large ticket food.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Meeting at a LFS to sell something can be damaging to profits smile.png

I picked up a Starry Blenny today while at RCA. He is cool, and the family is fascinated with him.

Broke out the camera to take some quick pictures... nothing stellar.

post-249-0-97505200-1410224090_thumb.jpg

post-249-0-54318000-1410224092_thumb.jpg

Had to take a shot of my tube anemone too... love that thing!

post-249-0-48730500-1410224088_thumb.jpg

Wow! Great pic of the tube anemone. I can't wait to get one of those one of these days. I like the starry blenny too!

It has become one of my favorite additions to the tank (thanks Niko's Reef!). It is huge compared to the ones I have been seeing in stores lately. I am actually on the hunt for a non-orange one now.

It really pops at night when just the atinics are on.

• Like 1

Well, this has been a not so fun morning with this tank. I woke up to most of the fish dead.

Here are my thoughts on what possibly happened. Last night I took off the overflow box and scraped off a bunch of palys that had grown in it and where blocking the intake holes. I rinsed it and put it back in the tank. It seems I didn't notice that my skimmer air intake had clogged up. Well, there must have been enough paly guts left (I though I did a good job getting them off) to dump palytoxin in the water, and that combined with a reduction in oxygen in the tank caused the die off.

I have fixed the skimmer, changed out the carbon, and am doing progressive water changes through the day.

Only fish were affected.... and not all, though most. I lost all of my oldest fish: Scopas Tang, Twinspot Bristletooth tang, Coral Beauty Angelfish, and the two Talbot Damsels (can't say I am *that* sad they are gone, the little bullies).

My fox face is breathing hard, but still alive. My new Starry Blenny seems to be OK, and has been enjoying the bully free tank this morning by swimming all around. I haven't seen my bluespotted goby that lives with the tiger pistol, but I have seen the tiger pistol excavating new tunnels now that he is not competing with the Damsels (see, they were bullies to everything!).

All the inverse seems fine, and so do the corals.

Sad day, but I guess it could have been worse.

Well, the fish that are left now seem fine. The Foxface's breathing has slowed down to a much more normal rate, though he is even more skittish now as he is the only large fish in the tank.

The bluespotted goby made an appearance, and seems fine. In fact, a new dynamic to the tank has already occurred now that the damsels are gone. The Starry blend has been all over the tank exploring. And the Bluespottted goby's pistol shrimp has been going to town making new tunnels through where the damsels used to have caves. In fact, he made one right in the front of the tank.

• 2 months later...