2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Giveaway

olaggie01

Tank was really cloudy for the past few days. Skimmate, ORP and pH were all down. Not sure what happened. Added some GFO to the tank and it is clearing up. Fish and gorgs are fine. I ordered an ozone generator to try and bump up the ORP and clear the water a bit.

Bacterial bloom? Or does it look like GFO dust?

I'd guess the bacterial bloom because I wouldn't think GFO dust would affect your parameters.

Bacterial bloom. Back again today. Looked better yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's a bacterial bloom, should you just let it run its course? I would make sure to keep the tank well oxygenated during the bloom since they can rapidly deplete the oxygen level. Eventually they'll run their course and die down to a stable population level.

Not 100% sure it is a bacterial bloom and what the course of action is. My assumption is that the ozone, in small amounts, will break down any organics in the water and allow the skimmer to process them easier. We shall see.

Did you add anything new that stared this bloom or do you think this is just part of the natural cycle of a new tank?

I haven't added anything new. I think it is partly due to the rocks, the bacteria I did add, and the addition of the new saltwater at the start of the tank

What concentration of O3 do you run in your tank? And for how long?

Going to have it controlled by the APEX and the OPR probe, but I will start it to max at 275 mV and slowly increase it to 350 mV. I'll keep the ozonator on "1" as I don't want to pump too much into the tank.

Working on my fish list.

So far I have 3 yellow tangs, 3 PJ cardinals (biggest cardinals Ty has ever see), 2 clowns, 1 blue green chromis and a emperor angelfish

I'm looking at the following:

Long nose hawkfish, recently lost my other one :(

Yellow headed jawfish

Pistol / goby combo

Couple of wrasse (mystery, flasher, flame, leopard)

Mandarins (2)

What do you think?

Going to have it controlled by the APEX and the OPR probe, but I will start it to max at 275 mV and slowly increase it to 350 mV. I'll keep the ozonator on "1" as I don't want to pump too much into the tank.

Hm, I wonder how much O3 that creates. Does your ozonator create ozone by a UV lamp?

Hm, I wonder how much O3 that creates. Does your ozonator create ozone by a UV lamp?

It's corona discharge.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ozotech-poseidon-220-ozone-generator.html

I believe on the lowest setting it is 0.3 mg/L but I could be wrong on the units.

0.3 mg/L is a good setting I would think. That equates to 300 ppb ozone, which is enough concentration to kill most bacteria and viruses in water. I think it only takes about 30 seconds of exposure to kill viruses and most bacteria, but in a large water volume I imagine it would take a while of it running to make a real impact. I imagine it would spur a rapid growth of biofilm growth when you run ozone.

I was about to say... I don't remember that many palm trees in your backyard sir.

I don't know what you are talking about. Those palm trees have been in the back since we installed the pool. Goes with the rest of the Caribbean theme outback (sand, surf, tecate light)

• Like 1

0.3 mg/L is a good setting I would think. That equates to 300 ppb ozone, which is enough concentration to kill most bacteria and viruses in water. I think it only takes about 30 seconds of exposure to kill viruses and most bacteria, but in a large water volume I imagine it would take a while of it running to make a real impact. I imagine it would spur a rapid growth of biofilm growth when you run ozone.

My goals for the ozone are clearing water (breakdown of organics to be skimmed or consumed) and disease prevention. I don't think I'll ever run it full time but based off the ORP. It will be injected into my skimmer so it will also be based on that turn over.

My goals for the ozone are clearing water (breakdown of organics to be skimmed or consumed) and disease prevention. I don't think I'll ever run it full time but based off the ORP. It will be injected into my skimmer so it will also be based on that turn over.

I'd be interested in your results. I've thought about trying ozone as well and maybe lean towards that more than using the UV sterilizer full-time.