2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Giveaway

olaggie01

ozone = some risk. UV = essentially no risk.

Agreed. Ozone can be dangerous if left unchecked and will impact everything in a tank, whereas UV will only kill what passes through the reaction chamber.
I haven't gotten to research it much yet. What is the main risk to worry about? An out off control ozone generator?

What would be the effects of pumping too much ozone into the system? Destruction of the bacterial population in the tank? Oxidative effects on soft tissue of gills on fish and on flesh of corals?

Are there any long-term worries? Any health and safety concerns for the household?

Agreed. Ozone can be dangerous if left unchecked and will impact everything in a tank, whereas UV will only kill what passes through the reaction chamber.
I haven't gotten to research it much yet. What is the main risk to worry about? An out off control ozone generator?

What would be the effects of pumping too much ozone into the system? Destruction of the bacterial population in the tank? Oxidative effects on soft tissue of gills on fish and on flesh of corals?

Are there any long-term worries? Any health and safety concerns for the household?

Short answer, yes.

The main risk is the oxidation effects of ozone. In salt water ozone will oxidize compounds and create toxic forms of that someone. I believe Boron is the main concern, but I would have to look it up to be certain. Whenever I run ozone I run a TON of carbon to scrub out any toxic compounds created.

Also, high ozone levels are harmful to fish and to anyone in the household. If we run ozone at the lowest level (300 ppb) and something goes wrong and it runs continuously or at a higher concentration, then that ozone starts saturating the air inside the house. So let's say the house has a concentration of 200 ppb, the EPA NAAQS limit for ozone is 70 ppb! I spend a lot of time working with high concentrations of ozone in my career and I'll tell you when I've been breathing elevated levels of ozone I start feeling very wheezy and I have trouble breathing easily. High ozone levels leads to respiratory issues and oxidizes compounds in the air like NO into NO2, which is toxic to breathe. So if something goes wrong, then yes, you'll be putting your tank inhabitants and house inhabitants in danger. I've seen my anemones deflate and become ticked when I run ozone for more than a few minutes, so I imagine every animal feels that way when running ozone.

The main risk is some of the secondary byproducts of ozone dosing, if the dosing is too high. The first one that comes to mind is a bromide byproduct which has a very similar effect chlorine/chloramine. Like you intimated, it's a strong oxidant and can be removed with GAC. I would think coral irritation, gill irritation and bacterial reduction could all be potential side effects. I'm not aware of any long term effects and I don't think there are household safety issues AFAIK.

The main risk is some of the secondary byproducts of ozone dosing, if the dosing is too high. The first one that comes to mind is a bromide byproduct which has a very similar effect chlorine/chloramine. Like you intimated, it's a strong oxidant and can be removed with GAC. I would think coral irritation, gill irritation and bacterial reduction could all be potential side effects. I'm not aware of any long term effects and I don't think there are household safety issues AFAIK.

Short answer, yes.

The main risk is the oxidation effects of ozone. In salt water ozone will oxidize compounds and create toxic forms of that someone. I believe Boron is the main concern, but I would have to look it up to be certain. Whenever I run ozone I run a TON of carbon to scrub out any toxic compounds created.

Also, high ozone levels are harmful to fish and to anyone in the household. If we run ozone at the lowest level (300 ppb) and something goes wrong and it runs continuously or at a higher concentration, then that ozone starts saturating the air inside the house. So let's say the house has a concentration of 200 ppb, the EPA NAAQS limit for ozone is 70 ppb! I spend a lot of time working with high concentrations of ozone in my career and I'll tell you when I've been breathing elevated levels of ozone I start feeling very wheezy and I have trouble breathing easily. High ozone levels leads to respiratory issues and oxidizes compounds in the air like NO into NO2, which is toxic to breathe. So if something goes wrong, then yes, you'll be putting your tank inhabitants and house inhabitants in danger. I've seen my anemones deflate and become ticked when I run ozone for more than a few minutes, so I imagine every animal feels that way when running ozone.

Thanks fellas. Its good to know people still in the biz!

I think I'm going to limit mine and my dog's chances of visiting the ER again. I'm on a short leash with the wife already.

• Like 1

And all these reasons is why I don't run ozone. I get a wild hair every so often and start putting together the system and the driers and the carbon canisters and the reactors and I always fail to pull the trigger. I run ORP probes on all my systems and I can tell you they are fickle at best. Especially when you feed vita chem and Selcon and occasionally dose lugols and dose acro power. They all cause my ORP to drop a couple hundred points in an instant and it takes 4ish hours for the probes to get back in whack.

I believe it works but after the potential dangers and the cost of the system to do it right I always shy away.

Bromine, that's the one, not boron. Close enough, right? [emoji12]

I've never run ozone long term, so I don't have any experience or input, but I imagine indiscriminately killing bacteria in the whole tank for long periods of time would make nutrient cycling difficult.

Ozone has been hit or miss so far. I'm waiting to calibrate my ORP probe and to make sure I can contain all the excess ozone before I let it go full out.

Cheato has been growing nicely. Getting quite the Death Star feel to it

https://vimeo.com/182083277

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. Couldn't fit the skimmer in the chamber. Went with a mini bubble King 160. I thought it would be too small for the tank but I think it turned out to be a good match

Yeah! Welcome to the BK club of Austin! Except mine is currently out of service waiting on a new motor block.... But I'll eventually rejoin the ranks.

Yup. Couldn't fit the skimmer in the chamber. Went with a mini bubble King 160. I thought it would be too small for the tank but I think it turned out to be a good match

Yeah! Welcome to the BK club of Austin! Except mine is currently out of service waiting on a new motor block.... But I'll eventually rejoin the ranks.

Really? That's too bad. How old is it?

I like it a lot. Quiet and efficient. Needs a bigger collection cup. I'm trying to run it a little dryer but it loves to pull out the stinky stuff

I like it a lot. Quiet and efficient. Needs a bigger collection cup. I'm trying to run it a little dryer but it loves to pull out the stinky stuff

The skimmer itself is 8, and I think the motorblock that died was a replacement that last a couple of years [emoji53] hopefully the new replacement will last longer, they aren't cheap.

The skimmer itself is 8, and I think the motorblock that died was a replacement that last a couple of years [emoji53] hopefully the new replacement will last longer, they aren't cheap.

Someone tell me how this makes any sense?

Mesquite - Houston - Austin - Round Rock - Austin - Georgetown (maybe?)

Date

Local Time

Activity

09/26/2016

7:41 P.M.

Received by the local post office

09/26/2016

2:56 P.M.

Package transferred to post office

Austin, TX, United States

09/26/2016

4:59 A.M.