2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Giveaway

olaggie01

• 1 month later...
Big update.  The tank is now nearly stocked with corals.  I placed a big order with @CherryCorals , and from @watchguy123 and @kacrocorals581 on R2R

The Cherry Corals should arrive today.  I'll dip and then snap a few pics.  

A few things I have noticed over the course of the past week is my consumption of Alk has increased, which I attribute to 2 things.  SPS settling in but more importantly, I started to run a CO2 scrubber as my pH was hovering around mid 7.8 to low 8.0.  The CO2 scrubber has bumped my pH up to 8.2-8.3 and in term, increased calcification.  I'm quite impressed with this addition and will continue to monitor.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, olaggie01 said:
Big update.  The tank is now nearly stocked with corals.  I placed a big order with @CherryCorals , and from @watchguy123 and @kacrocorals581 on R2R

The Cherry Corals should arrive today.  I'll dip and then snap a few pics.  

A few things I have noticed over the course of the past week is my consumption of Alk has increased, which I attribute to 2 things.  SPS settling in but more importantly, I started to run a CO2 scrubber as my pH was hovering around mid 7.8 to low 8.0.  The CO2 scrubber has bumped my pH up to 8.2-8.3 and in term, increased calcification.  I'm quite impressed with this addition and will continue to monitor.

Exciting news! Can't wait to see all these new sweet corals.

I'm surprised you were having such low pH, even with your giant chaeto ball? I assume you live in a newer house that's a bit more air-tight and so accumulates more CO2 from people breathing in the house? I'm sure I'll be seeing the same pH issues now that the weather is warming up and I can't crack a window at night to allow fresh air into the house. :( I wonder if getting rid of that big respiring angelfish in your tank will help the pH issue :fish:

5 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Exciting news! Can't wait to see all these new sweet corals.

I'm surprised you were having such low pH, even with your giant chaeto ball? I assume you live in a newer house that's a bit more air-tight and so accumulates more CO2 from people breathing in the house? I'm sure I'll be seeing the same pH issues now that the weather is warming up and I can't crack a window at night to allow fresh air into the house. :( I wonder if getting rid of that big respiring angelfish in your tank will help the pH issue :fish:

Yes, new house.  Definitely see an increase in pH when the windows are open and on the weekdays.  On the weekends, I was struggling to get to 8.0

Cheato is still kicking along.  I need to flip it.  

Haven't noticed anything yet re: the angel, I did get rid of a yellow tang and midnight clown as well.  So who knows.  Lower O2 consumption for sure.

Yes, new house.  Definitely see an increase in pH when the windows are open and on the weekdays.  On the weekends, I was struggling to get to 8.0

Cheato is still kicking along.  I need to flip it.  

Haven't noticed anything yet re: the angel, I did get rid of a yellow tang and midnight clown as well.  So who knows.  Lower O2 consumption for sure.

Stop taking all your hour long conference calls in that room and I bet you won't even need the CO2 scrubber anymore. [emoji12]

Also, big update with no pics? C'mon man! [emoji35]

Stop taking all your hour long conference calls in that room and I bet you won't even need the CO2 scrubber anymore. [emoji12]

Also, big update with no pics? C'mon man! [emoji35]

It probably does not help that I talk a big talk and am full of hot air. I do walk around a bunch in the house during the week so that could cause the increased CO2, I think I'll stick to the CO2 scrubber though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I wasn't moving soon. My tank would be the perfect test for the low pH/high pH test with regards to increased uptake of alkalinity.

I've been running dead stable for alk the last couple months and my pH runs from 7.8-8.0. I also have had no new coral additions so alk uptake has been stable. So if my alk level all of a sudden drops with the higher pH, that would be a pretty direct correlation that could not be explained by any other scenario other than the increase in pH alone.

13 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Wish I wasn't moving soon. My tank would be the perfect test for the low pH/high pH test with regards to increased uptake of alkalinity.

I've been running dead stable for alk the last couple months and my pH runs from 7.8-8.0. I also have had no new coral additions so alk uptake has been stable. So if my alk level all of a sudden drops with the higher pH, that would be a pretty direct correlation that could not be explained by any other scenario other than the increase in pH alone.

Have you considered the extra variable that perhaps corals grow and calcify at a faster rate when the pH of the water is higher and that could be the main driving force of the lowering alk levels? C'mon Ty! :P

If you see physical signs of precipitation on pumps and heaters though, that's pretty close to concrete evidence for high pH induced precipitation.

Well yes, this is why the whole conversation started was because of the higher calcification rates attributed to higher pH levels. Ol Aggie wanted to document his observation so far with what is believed higher calcification in his tank since he increased the pH. Evidence of that would be the lower alk he has observed. [emoji4]

I mistakingly assumed he was attributing the alk loss due to SPS settling in and increased precipitation. Definitely didn't mentally compute "calcification" when I read it. So uhumm.... C'mon Ty! Don't forget about the possibility of increased alk precipitation due to increased pH levels. [emoji58]

• Like 1

And just do it Ty. Not like you have much going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You make a good point sir. I'll just work on that CO2 scrubber now. Oh, on a separate note, you busy Monday and want to meet my wife at the hospital? Just let me know if the baby comes out a boy as expected.

I'll let you know if calcification went up. Pretty good trade there I think.
  • Like 1

You make a good point sir. I'll just work on that CO2 scrubber now. Oh, on a separate note, you busy Monday and want to meet my wife at the hospital? Just let me know if the baby comes out a boy as expected.

I'll let you know if calcification went up. Pretty good trade there I think.

Define expected. :). An extra digit ok? What if there are only 9? Still want me to sign for him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...