Announcing the April ARC Meeting and Frag Swap

mFrame

Just a note for anyone who bought the Coral RX at the frag swap. I tried it on a bunch of my corals. I believed it killed the baby anemone, and also seemed to pretty much wipe out jake's kenya tree. So, FWIW, that dip doesn't seem to like the softies too much. Zoas, Duncan and Candy Canes fared well as did the GSP. Everything looks fine except those.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a note for anyone who bought the Coral RX at the frag swap. I tried it on a bunch of my corals. I believed it killed the baby anemone, and also seemed to pretty much wipe out jake's kenya tree. So, FWIW, that dip doesn't seem to like the softies too much. Zoas, Duncan and Candy Canes fared well as did the GSP. Everything looks fine except those.

Hey Chip, yeah, anemones are definitely one thing I would not treat like other corals. What does CoralRX say on the bottle about treating them? Most softies shrink up when fragged and in transport and you can most often see anything resembling a parasite so they are the exception to what I dip. At best I would do a quick freshwater dip on soft corals, but not on anemones.

There are several small BTAs around the club, maybe one of our gracious members will provide one for you. If not, I have a small mini-carpet anemone that I would be happy to give to you. They're pretty bullet proof.

Hey Chip, yeah, anemones are definitely one thing I would not treat like other corals. What does CoralRX say on the bottle about treating them? Most softies shrink up when fragged and in transport and you can most often see anything resembling a parasite so they are the exception to what I dip. At best I would do a quick freshwater dip on soft corals, but not on anemones.

There are several small BTAs around the club, maybe one of our gracious members will provide one for you. If not, I have a small mini-carpet anemone that I would be happy to give to you. They're pretty bullet proof.

Thanks for the input! The dip says, "For directions, visithttp://www.coralrx.com/oneshot

And there they say:

How to use CoralRx One Shot:

Step 1 - Pour one gallon of water from your aquarium into a bowl or bucket.

Step 2 - Add the whole vial of CoralRx One Shot to the bowl or bucket.

Step 3 - Shake your coral in CoralRx solution for five to ten minutes.

Step 4 - Rinse with clean saltwater and return to tank.

So, no mention of anemones or other softies.

As everyone else has already said, AWESOME PARTY!

Thanks for hosting Patrick, and thanks to Mike, Dave, Robin, James, etc for setting it all up.

It was great to get to hang out and just visit with people as always.

Chip; I don't think you are supposed to dip anemones. I've dipped rocks with xenia/leathers on them before in CoralRX with no issues. I use it for everything that goes in my tank, including zoas, sps, mushrooms, etc and never had it hurt any corals. I've actually dipped rocks that have sponge on them and the sponge survived. I wouldn't do it with an expensive ornamental sponge, but normal rock sponges lived.

I do really like the CoraRX as I've seen lots of critters die from dipping.

Like these other guys, if you need some kenya tree I can also offer some up!

Thanks Chris for info and the offer. Question, did you ever dip Kenya's in it? Just wondering if it may have been something else which the Kenya didn't like...

Never tried Kenya.

But I could real quick just to test it. If it dies.... YAY One less annoying softie to have to get rid of.

Chip,

I have many Kena Tree from a mature colony in my display tank. Some are in my 135G lagoon, they dropped as seedlings from the parent colony and attached to arogonnite sediments. You are welcome to these. I live fairly close to you in Dripping Springs.

Patrick

Jake, I think I got some of your GSP, thanks. The intensity of the lime green eye is very nice under my 6500K MH. This temporary light will make way for LED fixtures with blues included. At that time, I will get the full benefit of the floresance of the green pigments.

Patrick

Thanks to everyone for the replacement Kenya offers. I went by Zen Reefers place tonight and pickup a nice Kenya frag and it's now residing happily in my tank. Thanks Ian!

No problem good sir. Sorry I couldn't come out and say hello. Putting a 2-year old to sleep is very serious business.

Archived