The saga of the 150

dapettit

Dave, It takes much courage to make this decision. In some cases increased circulation is sufficiant for a red bug epidemic. I did both and kept the increased circulation as a permanant upgrade, By the way, your tanks are gorgeous. Power to the people, down with the "red bugs".

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Several months ago I tried catching our blonde naso tang. He wasn't doing well and I wanted to give a dip for his constipation. I borrowed a fish trap and set it up in our acrylic tank. We forgot all about the scratching problems connected with owning an acrylic tank. Our main concern was getting the naso healed. Well as you may have surmised we scratched the tank pretty bad! We also didn't catch the naso but he has since gotten rid of his constipation.

Several months went by before I finally decided it was time to remove the scratches, but how? I found a hand scratch removal kit made by ETR (we originally used their product to re-furbish the 150). I bought the kit but wasn't brave enough to use it.

scratch.jpg

The weekend before the January meeting we decided the scratches need to be removed. The instructions said we could use the micro-mesh in the tank without harming the inhabitants. The kit consists of several grades of micro-mesh cut to for your specific magnetic algae remover.

kit.jpg

I marked the area with a white grease pencil with a little extra area for feathering the sanding area. I took the first piece of micro-mesh and with the help of my wife we lowered the back half of the algae scrapper into the tank. Robin started the stop watch as I moved the sand paper up and down until the scratches disappeared. I then used each additional piece in the kit using the opposite motions (right to left) making each scratch pattern disappear. In about 90 minutes the scratches were gone!

using.jpg

finished.jpg

The tank looks great!

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I noticed the skimmer pump was making a lot of noise. So during my usual water change I pulled the skimmer out to check out the pump. When I opened up the cover, I noticed a snail shell lying on the outside edge of the impeller. Of course some of the needles along the edge of the impeller where missing. I pulled the shell out and the back side was ground down to a smooth edge. Needless to say I wasn't happy. This will be the second time in less than 2 months I will replace this impeller. At $80.00 a pop I can't be doing this every other month. So I designed a snail guard for the intake to the pump. Using some black mesh and tie wraps I had laying I built a snail guard. It took around 5 minutes to build.

Here is the finished guard.

gallery_251_13_8913.jpg

gallery_251_13_15827.jpg

gallery_251_13_23344.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, back in January of this year we had a major crash. I've been fighting Cyano and Byropsis for the past 4 months and finally have it under control. However we lost a lot of live stock. so know it's time to start over.

We have removed most of the coral skeletons and have fraged what we could. We removed the calcium reactor and are just letting thing settle down. We will post pictures later.

Dave- :hmm:angry.gifsad.gif:iiam:

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...