The saga of the 150

dapettit

Oh no! Another LED convert! They are everywhere! Haha. Congrats Dave! Lighting looks great.

That bucket of dead corals almost brings a tear to my eye. I've been in this too long and too emotionally attached now! bye.gif I'll pour some saltwater on the ground for those that didn't make it!

• Like 1

Oh no! Another LED convert! They are everywhere! Haha. Congrats Dave! Lighting looks great.

That bucket of dead corals almost brings a tear to my eye. I've been in this too long and too emotionally attached now! bye.gif I'll pour some saltwater on the ground for those that didn't make it!

It the quiet future Ty :) I love my LED's on my big tank, especially the silence of them.

Great looking set up Dave!

• 5 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Well, cool your still using the lights!  But I want that tank about as much as I want a worn out pair of shoes.  Do whatever you want with it.  Sometime I'd like to see the how well the LEDs held up.  I imagine some of the lenses don't stay in place.  Are all the LED strings working?

I have a whole row of white leds not working (the 75 watt strip). Noticed the connector on the strip appeared to be stepped. Robin noticed some rust on some of the solder joints. Have about 4 other leds not working on the left side of the strip above it.20210124_151246.jpg

Most of the LEDs are in strings of 6 connected in series to one buckpuck so just a sinlge corroded connection can take out a string.  Have you tried just rinsing it off with a spray bottle and distilled water?  sometimes it just some salt build up causing a short.   Using the continuity or dc voltage settings on a digital multimeter can identify the problems pretty quickly.   Sometimes a single led will fail by shorting so the others on the string still light up.  New LEDs will be brighter but I think I have some old ones laying around. so there's no spotlight effect.  I'm busy the next couple weeks but I can repair it for you if you don't want to tackle them yourself.

Hey, sorry to take so long to get back with you.  A simple multimeter will work.  With the power off you can use the diode setting to check each diode and the solder connections.  With power on you can use the dc voltage setting to check the voltage drop across each diode.  ANd you can check the voltage out of the buck puck drivers, it should be about 20 volts. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Ok, now I know I don't understand electricity or how a multimeter works. I test the fixtures like you suggested. I didn't get any kind of reading I understood. I clean all the contacts with distilled water before checking the leads and LED's. We did  find a couple of loose ground wires. I also have several of these which are rusted badly. See images.

I would really appreciate it you could come to the house and take a look, of course when it convenient for you.

Thanks

.20210417_125226.jpg

20210417_122635.jpg

Those are disc or button thermostats.  The tabs are very prone to rusting and I've stopped using them.  If the light doesn't turn on when you apply 24 vdc you can check them by shorting the two tabs together with a paper clip or jumper.  (It's low voltage so there's no risk of shock.)   SOme silicone smeared on them will keep them from being an issue going forward.