The saga of the 150

dapettit

We have been obsessing over the MH lights for weeks. The left MH was turning a yellow tint. We are using XM 250 W 10K SE MH bulbs connected to a PFO 250W dual ballast. We did all the normal troubleshooting steps. Switch the left bulb for the right, switched the left ballast input for the right, unplugged it from the RK2 and (using an extension cord) plugged directly into a wall outlet, I even switched the mogul bases. When switching the mogul bases the coloring followed the switched. So we thought we had a bad mogul.

We purchased the Lumenbrights from Deep Blue so we talked to Rufus. Rufus called Frederick and we exchanged the mogul. I rewired it and connected it to the ballast. Oh joy! The lights fired up and everything was a bright white. We danced and sang with joy and happiness. Then joy turned to sorrow. As the night wore on we started to notice a yellowing and a lose of brightness on the right side again! There was much cursing and gnashing of teeth. Then we had an epiphany . . . The left side shut down for the night and the right side started a gradual increase in brightness and moving to a whiter color. Low and behold in 15 minutes we had noon day sun shining in our tank. Again there was much joy! Lesson learned, when a product says 15 amps max they mean 15 amps max. With shame we order the RK2 expansion slot today.

Will this bring joy?

• 1 month later...

Wow. First of all - great work on taking the scratches out!

I'm a total beginner, and got myself a 100g (yikes), and got discouraged at first since it was scratched up (not as bad as yours).

Your blog gave me the encouragement I needed :)

However, I have a question about the WaterGeneral filter you're using. I'm planning to get this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WaterGeneral-RO-DI-2OU...1QQcmdZViewItem

People have told me to instead get something for filterguys.biz... but they don't make something that comes ready with an outlet for drinking water :(

Would you recommend the WaterGeneral filter?

Wow. First of all - great work on taking the scratches out!

I'm a total beginner, and got myself a 100g (yikes), and got discouraged at first since it was scratched up (not as bad as yours).

Your blog gave me the encouragement I needed :)

However, I have a question about the WaterGeneral filter you're using. I'm planning to get this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WaterGeneral-RO-DI-2OU...1QQcmdZViewItem

People have told me to instead get something for filterguys.biz... but they don't make something that comes ready with an outlet for drinking water :(

Would you recommend the WaterGeneral filter?

You'll be glad you didn't give up!

Yes I would. That's similar to one I have (without the tank). Don't quite know what the problem with having one. My in line TDS meter reads 116 on the waste water and my RO/Di is at 0 and has been since Thanksgiving

Did you use any special type of sandpaper, or do I simply go by the grits you mentioned, and use a random orbital sander?

I ordered my materials from this website. ETR-Inc. The sandpaper is designed for acrylic. I started with the kit. I figured how many square feet I was working on, and then used 1 sheet of each grade per 3 square feet. depending on how bad your situation is you may get away with less or need more. Understand that this takes a lot of patience and time. If you need any more advice JLMK

• 1 month later...

It’s been awhile since our last update. We are still having issues with our ballast. We have been working with Randy at RCA along with PFO to get the problem solved.

We finally got our Euro reef RS-180 skimmer (Thank you so much Carlos). With the help of Robert and Cindy Manning we installed this marvel of aquatic science. This however was no easy task! First we had to drain the sump/fuge and slide it out from underneath the stand (even with most of the water removed it was heavy). We used a block of wood to stabilize the end sticking out of the stand. We assembled the skimmer and place it inside the sump. Robert moded the cup so the skimmate would run down the tubing to another container for collection. Even with the zero clearance to remove the cup I can’t get it fully out so this mod will help with that. We placed the sump back under the stand and filled it with the water we removed. Robin plugged the skimmer in and it took off. I wish I had pictures it was working perfectly.

gallery_251_11_126149.jpg

The next day I noticed the foam had dropped down into the neck. The engineer in me was screaming adjust, adjust so I did. WRONG! The reason for the change was not the skimmer it was due to evaporation (still don’t have the ATO installed). So I topped off and re-adjusted, I thought). A couple of hours later I noticed the cup was full of foam. I checked the collection container and sure enough it was over flowing. No much but just enough to soak the carpet a little bit. I did some readjustments and I think I’ve Got it. What do you think?

gallery_251_11_148100.jpg

med_gallery_251_11_311641.jpg

med_gallery_251_11_16341.jpg

gallery_251_11_142516.jpg

Robert told me about a device called “Water Alarm” and swears by them. He picked me one up at Home Depot ( me being sick with the flu). It is a well invested $9.00.

med_gallery_251_11_252865.jpg

I still need to cut a small notch in the side of the sump so the hose is at downward angle to assist in draining the skimmate. Next step is ATO. . .

I just got another DIY idea: -maybe we can mod these water alarms so that they will also drive a relay

that kills 120 volt power to the skimmer as well as make noise when the overflow cup gets too full.

I have to check into the chip on the little circuit board and see if RS has the parts I would need.

Looks good. I hope the wait was worth it. Euroreefs kick butt!

So are you able to take the cup off at all?

cmanning- A float switch inside the collection container that is normally closed will do the same thing. Basically a reverse auto top-off. Those giant skimmers on RC all have it.

the woes of being married to an artistic mind.

Well with the addition of our beautiful Powder Blue Tang we discovered a major battle was ensuing due to limit cave space. Seems the larger cave is home to everybody! Battles where on the epic proportion and we want blue to be in a peaceful environment. So Robin decided to open the cave on the opposite side (left ) of the tank. Of course I thought there would be no involvement from me as I am recovering from the flu.

gallery_251_11_236499.jpg

med_gallery_251_11_77582.jpg

Well, she pulled out the major piece of live rock supporting the cave and requested I chisel out the bulge in the rock. With much reluctance we moved the rock to the back porch and I chiseled away. My vision isn’t all that great and with the medication I’m taking I felt this was going to be impossible, but Robin was very persuasive. I chipped off the large bulge and went back under the covers.

gallery_251_11_87649.jpg

gallery_251_11_46060.jpg

Robin worked on the aqua cave for about a half hour. She ended up with an extra piece and decided to redo the fuge. I must say she was very productive (probably finding an escape from a whining over demanding sick husband). When I emerged from under the covers I was SHOCKED by how much junk was stirred up in the water column. I demanded (she was doing it anyway) a new sock be put on the over flow and am waiting very impatiently for the water to clear.

gallery_251_11_14153.jpg

Here is a before and after picture of the cave.

med_gallery_251_11_266595.jpg

med_gallery_251_11_2413.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't know exactly what happen. All Robin and I were doing is cleaning the coralline of the front and side panels. I looked at the purple tip digi and the rock it was on slide down the back side of the tank moving everything on the left side of the tank. Of course my first reaction was to scream "I hope it didn't scratch the side panel!" (it's an acrylic take you know). angry.gif

Well Robin is now trying to rebuild the bridge. Got rock all over the top framing of the tank. Thank the gods I took a couple of FTS the other day so this will be helpful.

Minor damage to the digi but everything else is ok.

Will post pictures later. . .

Look at it this way....... you got frags?? You need to have "coral sale" or "frag swap". We just frag our frogspawns. They were over crowding each other. I'll post some pics of them and the pair of black ocellaris that we got this weekend. I'm pretty sure Robin will do a great job at aquascaping.

-Cindy-

I've read about reefers using plastic tie wraps to hold the aquascaping together. Coraline will eventually encrust on the tie wraps and you won't even notice it. I've heard of the putty....... how quick does it set in.

Cindy and Robert - All is well. Wasn't as bad as first indicated. Lost a small piece of the purple tip digi. We need to come by and check out those black ocellaris

Andrew - I've tried the putty with no luck. It seems to work best outside the tank when you first set it up.

Dave-

This is a really great blog! Very informative and entertaining as well. Amazing how much work goes into a tank like this. I especially appreciate the part where you are refurbishing the actual tank. You even have RCA superstars Misti and James pitching in...too cool! Can't wait to see new pics. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Beefytang. we apreciate the kind words. Robin and I have been working on this tank since the 4th of July last year. Thanks for looking and keep an eye open for more updates. . .

Dave & Robin

• 4 weeks later...

We haven't update the blog in awhile so here goes . . .

As some of you know setting up of the 150 has really been a labor of love. With the refinishing of a majorly scratched acrylic tank, then becoming a tank of death, then having ballast issues. . .

It is amazing that Robin and I have kept up with it. I think it really has to do in part to the support we have received from ARC: Joseph Le, CManning, Headless Donkey, Gkarshen, Starfire and any one else who would listen to our ranting. This is truly a support group.

We would as like to specifically thank all the great folks at RCA (Carlos and his crew are the best!),

We start this hobby with a 29 gallon tall. Then we got bit by the bug. We discovered the 29 was going to be too small so we upgrade to a 150 in 4 months. If you haven’t done so, you might want to check out the rest of the blog. We tried to make it both informative and entertaining.

The 150 is 5’x2’x2’. I have 2x250W SPS 14K SE bulbs mounted in the first prototype of the new Lumenbrights. These are powered by dual 250W PFO ballast. I have 2x Koralia 4’s, 2 x Koralia 3 in the tank for flow. The sump/fuge is approximately 50 gallons divided into 4 chambers, the overflow, the skimmer, the refugium (with a Koralia Nano for more flow) and the return. The skimmer is a Euro-Reef RS180 and the return pump is MAG 7. A TCP 16/75W 5100K fluorescent flood light is over the fuge.

We made it through our first year of salt and are looking forward to many more!

Here is where we started and here is where we are now:

Then:

med_gallery_251_46_1732631.jpg

med_gallery_251_46_140188.jpg

gallery_251_46_46178.jpg

Now:

gallery_251_46_185958.jpg

med_gallery_251_46_159010.jpg

gallery_251_46_20064.jpg

6 Months later and I finally set up the ATO

WOW! Why did I wait so long? Dang I've been lugging a 5 gallon gas can from the garage to the living room, then lifting 40+ pounds to top of the tank 3 times a day. No it doesn't lose 15 gallons a day but I top off in the morning, when I get home from work and before going to bed.

Finally found the parts I needed. HD didn't have a crucial part and I had to go to a plumbing store. Thank God for long weekends.

I'm using a JBJ ATO, a Maxi-Jet 600, 4' of 3/4" pvc, 2 90's 1/2 hose barb and 2.5' of 1/2 tubing. I am using a 10 gallon aquarium to hold the top off water. Well any way, I got it all pieced together and it actually works.

Of course like anything else I will keep an eye on it through the rest of the weekend before I trust it completely. I also have a water alarm next to filling end just in case. I still have to cart water from the garage but not as much!

I have posted some pics of my handy work.

gallery_251_46_246234.jpg

gallery_251_46_215687.jpg

gallery_251_46_173912.jpg

gallery_251_46_134987.jpg