The saga of the 150

dapettit

Very impressive. I think it's a really gutsy thing, keeping a big tank. So expensive and a lot of responsibility with all the livestock. Personally, I couldn't do it...no confidence and no money but I'm glad others like you and wife have the resolve because it's incredibly fascinating to read about.

Thanks beefytang.

You are right if does take a certain level of responsibility and dedication. But the results are very rewarding. What really makes this great is the level of interest my wife Robin has as well. She spends more money than I do. She picks out the fish and I choose the corals. What a fantastic hobby.

Dave-

• 2 weeks later...

Some doubted but it really works!

I needed to pump water from the RO/DI barrel to a salt mixing barrel in the living room. I was running a Mag 5 so I decided to replace it with a Mag 18 I had laying around. I ran 50+ feet of clear tubing; I think its ¾ inch, from the RO/DI barrel to the salt mixing barrel in the living room.

I started up the pump and turned the ball valve to the on position. I ran from the garage to the living room (you know a whole 50 feet) and water was actually running into the barrel. OMG, I don’t have to make 4 trips from the garage to the living room carrying 5 gallon jugs full of water anymore. Then have to pour them in the barrel! It was a great work out but. . . .

Once the mixing barrel reached the 45 gallon mark I sprinted to the garage and turned the ball valve to the off position and unplugged the pump. Robin put the end of the tubing in our top off container as I rolled the tubing up replacing the water in the top off container from the excess in the tubing. Don't want to waste good water. Rolling the tubing up is the only draw back but again it's better than carrying water by hand!

The only problem I had was a leak where I spliced the tubing with a double ended barbed connector. Not a lot of water but enough to get the look. You know, we all get it, the look you get from your wife when you tell her it won’t leak. Two zip ties did the trick. And yes, Robin still loves me. . .

I have no idea how long it took to pump 45 gallons of water or take any pictures because I was sooooooooo excited! Will post some next time we do a water change.

Dave-

New Mixing Set Up

We had a decent salt mixing set up but it was a bit cumbersome and time consuming. We used 2-Aquaclear 50 power heads to mix the salt. We then would jam a piece of tubing onto the end of the power head and suck the mixed water out of the barrel into the tank. Like I said it was very cumbersome.

We used the Mag 5 we had taken out of the RO/DI barrel and decided to design a better "mouse trap".

I can add a heater and thermometer as needed. What do you think?

The concept: The mixing pipe helps to steady the whole unit to the barrel

gallery_251_11_33240.jpg

The finished project:

gallery_251_11_371594.jpg

Putting it to the test:

gallery_251_11_108781.jpg

gallery_251_11_9001.jpg

And checking for leaks:

gallery_251_11_83167.jpg

• 8 months later...

We noticed it’s been months since our last update. This time we would like to feature some corals that have grown quite nicely. What do you think?

Birdnets 1-22-08

gallery_251_99_41518.jpg

Birdnest and Vivid Valida 4-6-08

gallery_251_99_34062.jpg

Vivid Valda 3-18-09

gallery_251_99_21026.jpg

Starwberry Chalice 4-6-08

gallery_251_99_84320.jpg

Starwberry Chalice 3-18-09

gallery_251_99_93994.jpg

Orange Cap 2-23-08

gallery_251_46_46178.jpg

Orange Cap 4-6-08

gallery_251_99_20065.jpg

Stay tuned, more to come . . .

Well we haven’t updated our blog in F-O-R-E-V-E-R! So we thought we would bring those who are interested up to date.

We finally worked out the problem with our the lighting. It turned out to be a faulty capacitor in the ballast (thanks Robert for helping with this problem). Later we added two 54W URI Super Actinics powered by a Glo ballast. We set up a 10 gallon tank for auto top off. Now we only have to lug 5 gallons jugs every third day instead of every day.

Next we will be adding a DYI calcium reactor and an Ocean Pulse-Quadra Wavemaker.

I have added pics to show the progress of our adventure. Thanks to all those (and there are to many to mention) who have provide advice, cried with us, celebrated with us, and supported us during this journey. . .

Comments are always welcomed.

Tank 1-13-08

med_gallery_251_46_1732631.jpg

Tank 6-29-08

med_gallery_251_46_109497.jpg

Tank 4-7-09

gallery_251_46_81283.jpg

Left side now

gallery_251_46_92544.jpg

Center now

gallery_251_46_134574.jpg

Right side now

gallery_251_46_13684.jpg

More to come so stay tuned.

Nice growth shots. It's always fun to go back and look at the progress of your reef. Sometime I don't think mine's doing much but then I go back and look at photos from the beginning. Keep us tuned, you're doing great!

Thanks for all the nice words. We are pleased with the progrss but we are not done yet. We still would like to get some Oregon Tort,Cali Tort, Garf Purple Bonsai, and Red Planet just to name a few. But we are not quite ready for the responsibilty. Most learn more, need more input . . .