Port Aransas Collection Trip...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason will need some nudging on bringing Phoebe. He likes to get away from the dogs...I miss them LOL. Oh...I got her a haircut Tuesday...almost shaved except her fluffy tail. She was lacking a bit of confidence afterwards, but she's getting use to it. She looks like a different dog.

Have a sitter already.

This sounds like fun... I missed the last Port A collection trip on "the other forum," not sure when it is this year, but I'd rather go with ARC people, and the family loves the coast, so win-win. I'll run it by the wife and see what she thinks, but hopefully I can make this one.

Jason will need some nudging on bringing Phoebe. He likes to get away from the dogs...I miss them LOL. Oh...I got her a haircut Tuesday...almost shaved except her fluffy tail. She was lacking a bit of confidence afterwards, but she's getting use to it. She looks like a different dog.

Have a sitter already.

ohmy.gifPoor Phoebe...

I think Phoebe and Baxter would have a ball together.tongue.gif

I can't wait!!!

This sounds like fun... I missed the last Port A collection trip on "the other forum," not sure when it is this year, but I'd rather go with ARC people, and the family loves the coast, so win-win. I'll run it by the wife and see what she thinks, but hopefully I can make this one.

crab.gifIt will be fun! We went to the other collection trip last year...we had a good time. However, I think we'd have a ball with the locals from around here. thumbsup.gif

I'm down to go for sure! The last time I went it was spur and ended up being high tide (something to account for) also the locations? Do you guys know the hot spots?

I went with the other site 2 times ago, right smack in the middle of Hurricane Dotty. It missed the coast, but brought in the high tides and sargassam seaweed. The swimming sucked (and sucked you under) but the collection was pretty good because of all the weeds. Many, many SH's, pipefish, anglers and all the Sargent Majors you could want.

Went just with the family last year, water was clear, swimming was great, collection was not in my agenda. But my daughter LOVES Port A, so I might try to talk the family back into it. Only problem is what to do with the 1 month old (she will be at that time) and it also happens to be my mother's birthday.

With regards to where to stay and such, the Mariner Inn and suites has always given pretty good rates to the MAAST group, and that is also where I chose to stay last year. Nice place...not too nice for coming in all sandy. Close to the jetty (not walking but short drive), close to restaurants, pool, and free eats in the morning. They also have a meeting room if anyone wants to turn this into an education meeting type event.

Chad, I don't know if you guys want to consider it but I am putting together a trip for October, to take advantage of less costly accommodations being off-season. You guys are more than welcome to come. I will not participate in the other club's trip. They have not posted any info about it to their group or any other that normally attends. If they haven't put anything together as of yet, they won't be getting much help with accommodations this late. LMK if you are interested...

Steve

Steve, I might be up for a second trip in October...that's my birthday month and the weather is usually still pretty decent.

I'd really like to stay in a hotel on the beach or something on the beach...any ideas?

October sounds good too. Like to do some bay fishing as well. Sorry to here about the other clubs issues. I hope it still turns out well for them. We had a great time last year which is why we want to do it again this year. Please keep us up to date as plans progress.

+ 1 for Dena's idea.

I'd be more interested in an October trip. Ya know depending on where you go you can camp on the beach. :(

We went to Corpus a few years back in October and it was really nice. I think Mustang Island is much nicer as far as beaches go but I'm not sure what you could catch.

A trip like this would be a blast!

Dena, I wish all I needed was a dog sitter!!! LOL

We might be interested in an October trip also (of course, haven't talked to the wife yet, but she's the fisherperson in the family). We've been to Corpis and Galveston (honeymooned there), but never to Port Aransas. Sounds like fun to me.

wayneb

I know exactly what you mean.. plus one of my birds tries to kill himself if his schedule is too disrupted, so he'd have to be boarded.. then when he comes home we get to listen to all of the noises of the vet's office repeated over and over.

I know exactly what you mean.. plus one of my birds tries to kill himself if his schedule is too disrupted, so he'd have to be boarded.. then when he comes home we get to listen to all of the noises of the vet's office repeated over and over.

What kind of bird do you have? That neurotic id guess a grey or an amazon. I want a sulphur crested cockatoo. Not the best talkers but they are such sweet birds. Gonna wait till my kids are older though. In the mean time I have a lutino cockatiel. He whistles and rings like our phone.

I just learned today that my friend who farm sits for me is moving this summer. We're never going to be able to vacation as a family again. Ahhhh! Its so hard to find someone to watch all my animals.

Well, she does stay at the house and top the fish tanks off with water, feed the fish, and give the frogs crickets. If I had more, she'd take care of more LOL. She's just glad she doesn't have to feed the snakes.

She's grown up with horses, dogs and cats...very reliable...if you ever need someone I can ask her. We usually give her about $200-300 for the four days because she'd use a lot of gas from our house to her job.

I'd be more interested in an October trip. Ya know depending on where you go you can camp on the beach. smile.gif

We went to Corpus a few years back in October and it was really nice. I think Mustang Island is much nicer as far as beaches go but I'm not sure what you could catch.

A trip like this would be a blast!

What kind of bird do you have? That neurotic id guess a grey or an amazon. I want a sulphur crested cockatoo. Not the best talkers but they are such sweet birds. Gonna wait till my kids are older though. In the mean time I have a lutino cockatiel. He whistles and rings like our phone.

My neurotic bird is actually a quaker... he's a good bird otherwise, but rather set in his ways, and a decent talker as well. He knows "step up", "dogs outside!" "what are you doing?", and a bunch of other things that are hard to understand. Our last lovebird was a surprisingly good mimic as well, but our current one doesn't seem to have much interest. Cockatoos are so sweet.. Barbara and I just birdsat for someone that has an umbrella 'too and an amazon.. the amazon was a bit skittish, but the 'too was so cute and cuddly.