Port Aransas Collection Trip...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I get to post the first update!

We met everyone Fri night for the bonfire. It was small but fun. The kids ran around in the water and ate deconstructed smores(because nobody brought skewers).

Me and The Girl and my folks went to the aquarium Sat. Sat night collection was fun, aside from the smell and the mile long hike. I'll let the others update with what they brought home.

All my goodies, about 10-15 peps, two blennies, got cooked on the way back. Guess the idea about putting the bucket in the bed of the truck wasn't the best.

The ocean was full of algae that had died off, but was otherwise fine. I picked up one bunch of algae that had 2 Sargasum crabs(Portunus sayi) one of which was holding eggs that were a beautiful bright yellow. We let them go.

I'll post a few pics once I get them downloaded and tweaked. Nothing spectacular.

Awe Rob, you boiled your fish? That sucks :thumbsup:(

I actually got out there on Wed and I think it was Wed. night we went out to the beach and messed with the sargassum algae coming in. I wasn't planning on catching anything, just checking it out. The first batch I picked up had a 2 1/2 inch sargassum fish (Angler) in it. I kept him of course LOL. Lots of the crabs...which aren't so friendly when they are bigger. Also got some of the shrimp that hangs out in that stuff.

Hubby, sister and I checked out the U.S.S. Lexington Thursday morning. Then we hit Fire It Ceramics back in Port A to pain our own pottery (do that every year).

Friday we did the dolphin watch and saw a bunch of em, Friday night hung out on the beach with everyone.

Saturday we also went to the aquarium, then went to one of the marsh-like areas on the side of 361. We got some small cleaner clams, a couple hermits (through most back) and a bunch of cerith snails. That stuff was slippery as heck though...almost lost it a few times. Saturday night collected...caught about 30 peppermint shrimp. Kept catching little silver fish that the peps ate, and tons of blennies. I actually scooped out the small ones I caught and kept the larger ones. I had one hole where I'd scoop up a blenny every other net. The largest one is about 4" big. All of the fish and shrimp survived, excpet one smaller fish that died some time between the hotel and home. Not sure what it was, but I was hoping to see it grow up.

I'll post photos later too :o)

The trip was great!!

We arrived on Wednesday and just hung out. Thursday we hit some shops and went to the beach.

We did the dolphin tour on Friday. Lots of dolphins including some babies. That evening we all met on the beach and did some wading before the bonfire. Nothing big, but really fun. The kids had fun playing in the water.

Saturday we went took the Jetty Boat to St. Jo Island. Nice secluded beach with only a few people. Beautiful clear water and lots of untouched beach. The Island is 21 miles long and 5 miles wide. We had a great time and got a little toasted...well worth it though. Went fishing while we were there...CJ was the only on that caught anything. That night we went collecting and had a blast. We came home with about 150 peps, 9 blennies, a tiny angler and some ghost shrimp. We had a 100% survival rate on everything.

Sunday we took our time getting up and then checked out at 11am.

All in all a good trip with some "great friends". Can't wait till the October collection trip!!! :lol:

I will post pics soon too :D

We had a great time and lots of fun.

We checked in on Thursday around three and hit the beach. The kids went wild running around on the beach.

We went to the dolphin tour on Friday. My little one Tyler (5) was ready to jump in the water to go play with the dolphins. I lost my phone and did not know where to meet the others for the bonfire, so we did or own in front of the Beachgate where we were staying. One of the guys staying next to us had caught two sea horses and would not let me having them sad.gif, lol. The kids and I would walk the beach every morning and every night with flash lights looking for shells. Found two perfect sand dollars and no I did not get either one of those either.

Of the four adults and five kids only one got toasted and that was because he would not let me spray him down before going out, did he learn a lesson? I sure hope so, because that kid was burnt toast. We had fun playing in the water walking the beach and riding the waves with the boards. Chuck has a blast riding his dirt bike up and down the beach, just not as much fun had he been able to cut up on the sand dunes...Tyler did not get to ride his dirt bike on the beach, one cop said yes he and and the next day new cop said no..

Saturday we hung out on the beach and went shopping and back to the beach. There was an incident that had happened at one of the pool that I had witness and was not able to go on the collection trip.

Sunday we headed back home cleaned everything up and went to bed for the night. We had a blast.

Forgot to mention that a MAASTARD couple, Mr and Mrs Z28PWR, joined us. Jose and Mizeny(sp) were very cool and it was good to meet some of the 'southies'.

Theresa; sorry to hear about your unplanned 'event'. It didn't happen around 5 or 6p did it? We were down the road visiting some of our neighbors and heard a few sirened vehicles pass by.

The trip was great, and both the wife and I had fun and gained a lot of needed rest. Although we weren't very active, we enjoyed the bonfire and the group. The Jetty collection trip is definitely for the young. As collecting was new to me - I got excited when I netted a couple of small crabs (according to all - they were the nasty type) and

a snail.

One thing I couldn't do was break my waking at 0330. My M.O. became = getting a cup of coffee and heading to the park pier near the ferry and just watch the ships and early fishermen and maybe try to do some collecting. Never caught anything, but did watch a young boy raise hell about catching a 6" dogfish (ugly thing - the fish not the kid).

We are looking forward to going back with the group in the fall.

wayne and lynn

C.J and his fish - a proud little boy!!

post-398-020066700 1277941772_thumb.jpg

Close-up of C.J.'s fish...anyone know what kind of fish this is?

post-398-086009600 1277941791_thumb.jpg

Chatting it up while the fire develops

post-398-098273900 1277941754_thumb.jpg

Lydia Ann Lighthouse

post-398-064225500 1277941806_thumb.jpg

Pelicans we encountered on the dolphin tour

post-398-020372800 1277941819_thumb.jpg

UT Marine Science Institute

post-398-074082300 1277941830_thumb.jpg

Dolphins showing off on the dolphin tour

post-398-034116500 1277941858_thumb.jpg

St. Jo Island

post-398-003860400 1277941872_thumb.jpg

St. Jo Island

post-398-000084600 1277941885_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

:doh:Im sorry for the late response I have been so busy since our return from Port A trying to catch up !!! It was nice meeting all of you guys, we had such a great time!!! Thank you for the invite and I really hope we can do this again soon. Wow those pictures look great:D .....Jose & Mizeny (Mr. & Mrs. z28pwr)